The Sea, the Sea by Iris Murdoch

The Sea, the Sea (1978)

by Iris Murdoch

2,443612,524 (3.92)1 / 335
    The Bell by Iris Murdoch (Booksloth)
    Kim by Rudyard Kipling (thorold)
    thorold: Two books that demonstrate that it's possible to use a Buddhist holy man to power the plot of a complex modern novel without getting all mystical and Hermann Hesse.

English (56)  Dutch (2)  Hebrew (1)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All (61)
I wish I could gvie this amazing book an extra half star. It's infuriating-ness, if that is even a word, made me unable to give it a rave. But I did love it. The descriptions of both the interiors and the landscapes were incredible, the narration most unreliable, and the story told with a bizarre mix of boredom and excitement. I still can't figure out if the narrator was completely delusional to the end or whether the whole novel was about a search for truth and a loss of ego in almost a Buddhist way. Mind boggling. ( )
  laurenbufferd | Nov 14, 2016 |
Can't believe I'd never read an Iris Murdoch novel before this one. It was better than I could have imagined. It is very funny, the descriptions of Charles's mad meals and various farcical situations he gets into. The characters are colourful and unpredictable and the whole thing thing just plays out wonderfully. ( )
  AlisonSakai | Sep 9, 2016 |
An ever present atmosphere of menace pervades this book. The characters are for the most part awful, secretive and flawed. The weird story is a classical one of obsession and loss. The background sea, sky and summer weather provide a frightening disinterested point of reference to the maddened action that unfolds when Charles unexpectedly meets his first love, Hartley, in his new retirement village on the coast.
As always Iris Murdoch provides wonderful descriptions of meals (the pleasure of boiled onions, for example) and dress.
  ivanfranko | Jul 3, 2016 |
Ridiculous plot. ( )
  justifiedsinner | Jul 1, 2016 |
I couldn't finish this book although I really tried. I love Murdoch's writing but the protagonist/narrator is such a loathsome character, I couldn't stand being around him any longer.
  Othemts | May 2, 2016 |
The book that finally won Iris Murdoch a Booker is at least as ludicrous as it is brilliant...The surprise isn't so much that she failed to scoop the prize three times in a row, but that a jury managed to unite behind one of her books – especially one as variously sublime, ridiculous, difficult, facile, profound and specious as The Sea, the Sea....So there it is, a book that has left me thoroughly divided. It's as flawed as it is wonderful and it took a brave jury to give it the prize. Or, at least, a very forgiving one.

Iris Murdochprimary authorall editionscalculated
Burnside, JohnIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Rosemary Cramp
The sea which lies before me as I write glows rather than sparkles in the bland May sunshine.

Charles Arrowby, leading light of England's theatrical set, retires from glittering London to an isolated home by the sea. He plans to write a memoir about his great love affair with Clement Makin, his mentor, both professionally and personally, and amuse himself with Lizzie, an actress he has strung along for many years. None of his plans work out, and his memoir evolves into a riveting chronicle of the strange events and unexpected visitors-some real, some spectral-that disrupt his world and shake his oversized ego to its very core.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 014118616X, Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:05 -0400)

Charles Arrowby, leading light of England's theatrical set, retires from glittering London to an isolated home by the sea. He plans to write a memoir about his great love affair with Clement Makin, his mentor both professionally and personally, and to amuse himself with Lizzie, an actress he has strung along for many years. None of his plans work out, and his memoir evolves into a riveting chronicle of the strange events and unexpected visitors - some real, some spectral - that disrupt his world and shake his oversized ego to its very core.… (more)

Legacy Library: Iris Murdoch

Iris Murdoch has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Iris Murdoch's legacy profile.

See Iris Murdoch's author page.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,835,125 books! | Top bar: Always visible