Eine heißblütige Lady: Roman by Emma…

Eine heißblütige Lady: Roman (edition 2012)

by Emma Wildes, Juliane Korelski (Übersetzer)

Member:Ansy
Title:Eine heißblütige Lady: Roman
Authors:Emma Wildes
Other authors:Juliane Korelski (Übersetzer)
Info:Blanvalet Taschenbuch Verlag (2012), Taschenbuch, 416 pages
Tags:historical romance

His Sinful Secret: Notorious Bachelors by Emma Wildes

I thought it would be interesting to review this series as a whole, rather than each book.

Ms. Wildes has done a wonderful job of bringing us a story of three best friends, Lord Alexander St. James in “My Lord Scandal”, Luke Daudet, Viscount Altea in “Our Wicked Mistake” and Michael Hepburn, Marquess of Longhaven in “His Sinful Secret”. All three have survived the Napoleonic/Peninsular War and are now trying to get back to the life they were meant to lead. There is plenty of romance, intrigue and mystery in all three stories.

In the first book we meet our first Hero Lord Alexander St. James, younger son of a Duke and a former soldier. He’s breaking into Lord Hathaway’s home to retrieve a key that rightly belongs to St. James Family. Even though this should have been fairly easy to carry out, especially with Michael’s help who has worked with the War Office, things go awry when Lady Amelia Hathaway unexpectedly returns home and finds Alex on her balcony. From here on we’re treated to a wonderful love story as well as a mystery. I very much liked the slow unraveling of the mystery. It was a pleasant surprise to meet secondary characters that were as well-developed as the primary. As soon as these two meet, sparks are flying and we can’t help but like both of them. Every moment that we share with Alex and Amelia, be it on the dance floor or by a gazebo, we’re left breathless! Through all of this, we find out how these two families share in a tragedy that happened a generation ago. I was much reminded of Romeo and Juliet and prayed this one would end happily. Their romance was so well written that brought tears to my eyes. The author treated these characters as grownups and we so appreciate it. There’s not much misspeaking, meaningless fights, or disrespect. Our Hero and Heroine are a couple that understand each other and even though the obstacles they faced were not small, nothing would stop these two. This was a fast read and not once was I bored reading it. You’ll be surprised by the plot twist at the end.

The second story “Our Wicked Mistake” is about Luke Daudent, Viscount Altea and Madeline May, Lady Brewer. It opens when Madeline summons Luke, with whom she is acquainted as they spent one night together awhile back, to her home as she’s in trouble. He’s not very happy to hear from her because Madeline is the only woman who has the power to tear down a long built defense to his heart. Luke just couldn’t handle the all consuming passion he felt for her and he just tried very hard to forget and ignore her and the night they spent together. We’re sucked into their story and we’re made to understand both of them as wonderfully flawed, yet very compassionate beings. It’s heartbreaking to find out the reasons for his fear of intimacy, and we just can’t help but read on and hope that Madeline’s courage would prevail. This one was a bit sad, more serious but still witty and very well written with yet again secondary characters that are so easily woven through the main story. I found the book full of suspense and I loved the dramatic conclusion.

In “His Sinful Secret” we find our last Notorious Bachelor Michael Hepburn, at a point of his brother’s unexpected death. With him inheriting the title of Marquess of Longhaven, he now must fulfill the betrothal contract that was long-standing between his brother and Julianne Sutton. The author has outdone herself in creating such a wonderful relationship between these two people. It was such a pleasure to encounter this young woman, Julianne who was so smart and way too perceptive for our Hero. Michael was astonished and pleasantly surprised with her. They both have great expectations of this marriage and. Michael means to keep separate his physical relationship from his deep feelings for her. This was one of the sweetest romance novels I’ve read in a long while. There’s plenty of spy intrigue, lots of twists and turns and finally we get to find out who the notorious adversary spy is!

I have waited to buy all three books before I read them, and truly was glad that I did. Each story is unique, but unified by these men and their women. All three deliver on suspense, romance, intrigue and wit. We get to know these men and we love watching them fall prey to love and at the end, marriage. It took me awhile to pick out my favorite one, and I thought Michael’s story, for me, was the best written and best developed as well as the most interesting of the three.

I highly recommend all three and have only one complaint: that all those secondary characters had a book of their own, that’s how good they were.

Melanie ( )
  bookworm2bookworm | May 26, 2011 |
I absolutely loved this trilogy but am sad that it ended on a low point. The hero, Michael, has been a key character in the first two books and I was really looking forward to understanding him better in his own book. He marries the heroine, Julianne, within the first chapter as there has been an understanding between their families - although Julianne was originally supposed to marry his older brother who passed away a year ago. Michael decides to marry so his parents will be happy (and so he can get an heir and grandchild for them). Although their is physical chemistry between the hero and heroine, their isn't any emotional connection until toward the end of the book. I felt like Michael stayed very distant for too long and then, boom, he has a small amount of feeling or consideration for his bride. There really wasn't much of a buildup and even in the end where Michael admits that he has feelings for his bride, it feels lukewarm. A disappointing book that I rated this high because of the earlier books in the trilogy. ( )
  reesa00 | Nov 7, 2010 |

When the Marquess of Longhaven dies unexpectedly, his enigmatic brother Michael Hepburn takes his place. For Julianne Sutton, arranged to wed the marquess years earlier, more than just her plans for marriage are altered as both practice the art of deception.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,567,414 books! | Top bar: Always visible