Wasted by Nicola Morgan

Title:Wasted
Authors:Nicola Morgan
Info:Walker Books Ltd (2010), Paperback, 352 pages

Wasted by Nicola Morgan

This is such a beautifully written tale of the original boy meets girl story… but with a whole load of “what if’s” thrown in. But it IS more than that. Nicola Morgan creates such a great atmosphere in the novel, and it means you really relish and enjoy the book.

Near the beginning, when Jack meets Jess, he says to her: “there is no such thing as chance”.

Jack says:
“Here’s an example. This. Me hearing you sing. I didn’t know you existed but I needed you to. And I walked past that door at the right time. Past a soundproofed room. Where the door wasn’t properly shut. Invisible things came together to make it happen. Natural, physical things. Not chance, but definitely luck for me.”

It is brilliantly executed so that, each page you turn, a decision with the coin is made. And when the decision with the coin turns to the reader, that is when it gets really exciting. Now, there are several times in the book when it happens, and I am sorry to say that when there are 2 different chapters to read depending on what you landed on, I read both chapters. I did this because I wanted to see what both choices were, not to ruin the experience.

However, it did not stop my enjoyment of the book, and I truly believe that this is unique. The characters are, I have to say, well developed, and they are actually genuinely realistic in the things they say, how they move, and their actions and behaviour.

The great concoction of great characters, interesting plot and gripping events means that I completely recommend this book!

Plot: 8/10
Very interesting, and developed plot.
Writing Quality: 9/10
Very very good writing quality
Originality: 8/10
So completely original in the concept of the book, maybe not so much boy meets girl.
Characters: 9/10
The characters were very well developed and were likeable.
Descriptions: 7/10
Good amount of descriptions.

41/50 = 82% ( )
  beaniez | Jan 21, 2011 |

He lets the toss of a coin rule his actions, whatever the risk. Chance brings him Jess, a beautiful singer who will change his life, but their luck won't last forever. During a night of heady recklessness, they run out of choices. Now it is the reader's turn to take a risk! Spin a coin and determine life or death.... Age 13+.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,961,481 books! | Top bar: Always visible