Enclave by Ann Aguirre

Title:Enclave
Authors:Ann Aguirre
Info:Square Fish (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 288 pages

Enclave by Ann Aguirre

Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi (SunnySD)
    Pure by Julianna Baggott (4leschats)
    4leschats: Both books feature a strong female lead who has just beomce an adult in a post-apocalyptic world where she must survive.
    The Reapers Are the Angels by Alden Bell (SunnySD)

English (139)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (140)
There are pluses and minuses to listening to audiobooks. In the case of Enclave I think I would enjoy this better in paperback than audio. Emily Bauer’s narration is high-pitched and adds a childishness to the story that made me cringe a bit. Like The City of Ember and The Giver, this is an interesting dystopia led by children. The world is rich and fascinating, but the childish edge makes it easy to disregard. So, unless you’re passing this forward to a middle grade reader, I’d strongly suggest the book over the audiobook.

Even though the dystopia genre is a bit tired, I still enjoy this style of novel. The post-apocalyptic world challenges humanity – how will they survive? The normal pattern is show one group of survivors, and then a few stragglers find another group far better off. In many ways, there’s nothing new to see in Enclave. The standard dystopia worldbuilding tropes still apply. That said? Don’t mess with a good thing. Tropes may be used and reused, but they’re still good when they’re done well… and Enclave is done well.

In a genre without many surprises, it becomes imperative that either the characters or plot pick up the slack. In the case of Enclave, I’d say it’s the characters. There’s a feel to the group that is reminiscent of The Darkest Minds – that familiar, but a well-loved feel of a mismatched group with a common need for survival who learn to trust one another. I love that in Enclave, we get to watch all four of them come together and learn to trust, slowly adding to the number through the book. It’s nice to get to know one character fully before adding the next, and when I think on it… I can’t remember the last time I’ve read a book with a gradual build of characters… and I really liked it.

This was a relatively fast-paced book. On one hand, that’s a good thing because it holds your attention. On the other hand… I think it only worked because so much of this world was already familiar to those who read dystopia. Events rolled out really quickly, and characters resolved their differences too quickly to feel, strictly, realistic. I will admit that if you aren’t closely analyzing the book (ah, joys of being a book blogger!) you may not notice this.

As far as the storyline goes – again – nothing particularly unique here. This is a set up book and there are shades of all the books I’ve already mentioned, plus Station Eleven and a little bit of a LIFEL1K3 feel. This book, much like the others, involves the loss of faith in ones society and making way into the greater unknown in search for some sort of answers. This is a recycled plot, but like the worldbuilding, there’s nothing wrong with this trope, as long as it’s done well. And it is – the pacing and characters help.

I know that all in all, I appears I’m shrugging Enclave off as “not that great” because it lacks originality. That would be unfair. Despite not having a “Dazzling New Plot” or “Unique Twist on the World”… it’s still a good book! Sometimes familiar stories are the best ones, and I would like to see where Ann Aguirre goes with this cast. If you’re a fan of dystopia, and prefer a story without romance getting in the way (all too common for this genre!) I definitely suggest giving Enclave a try! ( )
  Morteana | Jun 12, 2019 |
Deuce is a great character, tons of action, twists & turns. I enjoyed it much more than I expected. I'm pretty sure this is YA, but I wouldn't want my kid reading it...

My only real complaint is the whole Deuce/Fade situation. The difficulty seems a bit forced, unless the author WANTS me to think Fade is a bit of an idiot. I suppose it's possible.

I will read on. ( )
  Amelia1989 | Jun 10, 2019 |
Similar to many other dystopian novels.

Well written but felt very similar to other series I have read. ( )
  Michelle_Boyea | Jun 7, 2019 |
Interesting post apocalyptic story

I do like stories like these, dystopian/post apocalyptic futures where everything has gone to hell. The are freaks, we don't exactly know what they are, some kind of humans infected with disease maybe? They hunt people and have begun to act smarter and take down various groups. I liked Deuce, she's strong and cares about others. Fade is a good guy too and I liked the 2 of them as partners. Stalker will always be a bit of a wild card since he looks out for himself above all others. I'm looking forward to what else happens on this series. ( )
  AlyP59 | Apr 25, 2019 |
After a somewhat disappointing encounter with Grimspace a couple of years ago, I was wary about reading anything more from Aguirre, but the concept of this book intrigued me – so I decided to take the plunge. Well, it was quite a pleasant surprise: the story drew me in immediately, to the point that I finished the book over a weekend – and I decided to give the Jax saga another try, on the chance that I might have started it on an "off" day.

The second half of Enclave seemed a little hurried, though, and somewhat... unfinished, for want of a better word, as if the author were in a hurry to move forward to the next book: it felt particularly jarring after the fascinating details of life in the tunnels and the social dynamics created by that situation. My main point of contention comes from the addition of Stalker and the quick turnaround from wild-pack leader to useful team player: it seems a little contrived and IMHO it should have evolved over a longer time-span.

On the other hand, Deuce's "voice" is quite compelling and it drew me into the story very quickly, so all things considered this was a fascinating read, that made me interested in the sequel. ( )
  SpaceandSorcery | Dec 25, 2018 |
With some graphic and gross imagery and a hard look at a post-apocalyptic world, Aguirre has taken themes from Scott Westerfeld and an assortment of zombie literature and created something that is very much her own — and a very engaging read.

Enclave is an impressive addition to the growing collection of dystopian young adult novels

All in all, this well-paced zombie-esque adventure in an urban wasteland will keep fans happy
added by 4leschats | editKirkus Review (Mar 1, 2011)

. . . skilled though violent postapocalyptic thriller. . . Aguirre has created a gritty and highly competent heroine, an equally deadly sidekick/love interest, and a fascinating if unpleasant civilization. This series is likely to hold Considerable appeal for fans of The Hunger Games.
added by 4leschats | editPublisher's Weekly (pay site) (Feb 7, 2011)

For Andres, always. Though the path was sometimes strewn with thorns, you were always there to hold my hand or catch me when I stumbled
I was born during the second holocaust.

In Deuce’s world, individuals become adults—and earn the right to a name—only if they survive their first fifteen years. By this point, each unnamed ‘brat’ has trained into one of three groups: breeders, builders, or hunters. As the names imply, each group has definite roles to play for the survival of the group.

As a Huntress, Deuce’s purpose is clear—to roam the dangerous tunnels outside the enclave and bring back meat to feed the group while evading the ferocious humanoids known as Freaks. This has been the status quo for as far back as anyone can remember; this is, the elders tell everyone, the way it has to be. With the introduction of Fade, a male hunter a couple of years older than Deuce, who had been adopted into her enclave a few years earlier, she becomes aware of the hidden realities of the Orwellian society in which she was born. Deviation from the norm is punished quickly and harshly.

As Deuce’s perception of her world shifts, guided by her complex partnership with Fade, so does the balance in the constant battle for survival in the tunnels. The Freaks, considered dangerous only due to their sheer numbers and ferocious appetite, have long been held as incapable of any level of thought. And yet, as Fade and Deuce encounter them in the tunnels while in a reconnaissance mission to the nearest enclave, the creatures’ behavior is evidently cunning, and therefore more dangerous. It is evident that the danger is imminent, and yet Deuce cannot stem the dark tide that carries her far from the only world she's ever known.

In a post-apocalyptic future, fifteen-year-old Deuce, a loyal Huntress, brings back meat while avoiding the Freaks outside her enclave, but when she is partnered with the mysterious outsider, Fade, she begins to see that the strict ways of the elders may be wrong-- and dangerous.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,704,832 books! | Top bar: Always visible