The Winter Queen : A Novel (Erast Fandorin…

The Winter Queen : A Novel (Erast Fandorin Mysteries) (edition 2003)

by Boris Akunin

Member:jillmwo
Title:The Winter Queen : A Novel (Erast Fandorin Mysteries)
Authors:Boris Akunin
Info:Random House (2003), Hardcover
Tags:fiction, mystery, Russian, translation, Fandorin

The Winter Queen by Boris Akunin

English (50)  Dutch (3)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (1)  Norwegian (1)  French (1)  All languages (58)
Akunin builds his story by deconstucting the psyches of his characters. I found the narrative style reminscent at times to Crime and Punishment though neither as complex and sadly not always as compelling as Dostoevsky's classic. ( )
  pussreboots | Sep 7, 2014 |
This book sounded so interesting, I had to read it. It turned out very different from my expectations. It was more of a romp and less cerebral though I now wonder why I expected it to be serious. The plot was great, the story entertaining and the characters very well portrayed. However, some of the twists were very predictable - so much so that I think it must have been deliberate. The ending was quite a shock but certainly an incentive to read the next book in the series as our hero must be a changed man. ( )
  rosiezbanks | May 1, 2014 |
The first book in the series featuring Erast Fandorin, The Winter Queen is something of a police procedural and begins with the odd suicide of a young, well-to-do student. Fandorin is even younger and has recently joined the Moscow Police, His superior officer allows him to investigate the recent crop of odd suicides which eventually leads to an international conspiracy and a promotion for Fandorin. While I enjoyed The Winter Queen, I liked the other book I've read by Akunin even better and I will be on the lookout for more of Fandorin's adventures.
  hailelib | Apr 21, 2014 |
Enjoyable, but the ending sort of went off the rails. This was described to me as a 21st-century novel with Tolstoy-like prose--all I can say is that's not the case for the English translation. ( )
  thatotter | Feb 6, 2014 |
I loved the beginning and feel the ending is incredible; however, it just didn't grab me emotionally at all. I found the language very difficult to follow in places, the characters became confusing (and thus uninteresting), and some of the events totally unbelievable. Sometimes I felt like I was reading a spoof instead of a real mystery novel. After reading some of the other reviewers who loved this, I'm beginning to feel like I should go back and reread this. In short, this is not a "light" read - one has to stay with it and concentrate; then it certainly could be worth while. Perhaps I just didn't put the effort into it (sometimes I'm a lazy reader). ( )
  maryreinert | Aug 16, 2013 |
He also reveals an unexpected moral subtlety. At the outset, The Winter Queen appears to display an alarming level of Russian xenophobia, in the form of an international conspiracy against Russia headed by an evil Englishwoman. But as the story progresses, so it emerges as something rather more complex. By the end, Fandorin – no longer the charming naïf but a saddened, white-haired figure – has solved the case, but in doing so has brought about a string of tragic consequences. He is faced by the uncomfortable question: has his sleuthing caused more unhappiness than it has cured?

Boris Akuninprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bromfield, AndrewTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nikkilä, AntonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
On Monday the thirteenth of May in the year 1876, between the hours of two and three in the afternoon, on a day which combined the freshness of spring with the warmth of summer, numerous individuals in Moscow's Alexander Gardens unexpectedly found themselves eyewitnesses to the perpetration of an outrage which flagrantly transgressed the bounds of common decency.

Moscow, May 1876. What would cause a talented student from a wealthy family to shoot himself in front of a promenading public? Decadence and boredom, it is presumed. But young sleuth Erast Fandorin is not satisfied with the conclusion that this death is an open-and-shut case, nor with the preliminary detective work the precinct has done–and for good reason: The bizarre and tragic suicide is soon connected to a clear case of murder, witnessed firsthand by Fandorin himself. Relying on his keen intuition, the eager detective plunges into an investigation that leads him across Europe, landing him at the center of a vast conspiracy with the deadliest of implications.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:32 -0400)

Set during the 19th century in Russia, Boris Akunin's mystery involves the death of a law student who commits suicide in broad daylight in Moscow's Alexander Gardens. Erast Fandorin is the gentleman sleuth who is called in to investigate what drove the student to do such a terrible thing.… (more)

Six editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,050,561 books! | Top bar: Always visible