Koko be good by Jen Wang

Koko be good (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Jen Wang

Member:alexiscartwheel
Title:Koko be good
Authors:Jen Wang
Info:
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:fiction

Koko Be Good by Jen Wang (2010)

Loved this book! The art style, the frames, the pacing, the story - nothing profound but a fun quick read that left me delighted. I might just read this again before I return it. ( )
  KingdomOfOdd | Dec 9, 2013 |
Wang's art is exquisite in the same way Thompson's is. The story here doesn't start out so well, but by chapter three, I couldn't put it down. HIGHLY recommended. ( )
  JWarren42 | Oct 10, 2013 |
The story didn't really do it for me, though Faron was cute. I liked the art a lot. ( )
  kgib | Mar 31, 2013 |
This is a classic coming of age tale for two different character, our titular character Koko and a young man named Jon. Jon is giving up on dreams and hopes of his own to be with his girlfriend in a place that he doesn't know, a language he doesn't speak, and unsure of what he'll do once he's there. While out one night Jon meets Koko, a young woman still trying to figure out her place in the world. Their lives intersect, accidentally as is so often the case, and lead each other down new paths. They reconnect with old dreams and discover new ones that lead them towards an unknown future.

The artwork in this novel is fantastic. Jen Wang is a talented artist that brings a simple style and limited color palette to the table and creates an evocative mood throughout the storyline. Many of the characters are simply drawn, yet they have a richness and fullness to the lives they live on the pages. Jen captures the spontaneity of life and the free movement of the human body that we often see in the real world in just a few lines. Where the work falters for me is the flow of the storyline. Its rough in some transitions and a couple of the characters are introduced but never really have their places defined. Overall though this is a strong work first work for a new published author (her first solo piece.) I look forward to seeing what she creates next and enjoying her art for many years to come. ( )
  zzshupinga | Dec 30, 2011 |

"Koko's always got a new project cooking, even though they usually end in total disaster. This time will be different, Koko promises herself. This time, she's decided to Be Good. But how can a girl whose greatest talent is causing trouble get her act cleaned up? If she's being honest with herself, Koko isn't even sure what 'being good' means. Jon knows what being good means, and that's why he's going to Peru to support his girlfriend's humanitarian mission. That's good, all right, but is it what he wants? Jon has a promising future as a musician. Is he ready to give that up--maybe forever? Two very different people, both struggling for direction, find their way into each other's lives in Jen Wang's first graphic novel. Honest, wrenching, and incredibly funny, Koko Be Good is a tour-de-force debut about human nature and the inhuman efforts we make to find ourselves."--Publisher's Web site.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,361,595 books! | Top bar: Always visible