dismiss

Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray

Vanity Fair (1847)

by William Makepeace Thackeray

12,079171345 (3.88)1 / 736
Set during the time of the Napoleonic Wars, this classic gives a satirical picture of a worldly society. The novel revolves around the exploits of the impoverished but beautiful and devious Becky Sharp.
    Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert (HollyMS)
    HollyMS: Both works are about women who would do anything to gain a life of luxury.
    Moll Flanders by Daniel Defoe (flissp, Booksloth)
    Tess of the d'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy (Antarehs)
    Bleak House by Charles Dickens (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Obra soberbia de Dickens. Más "luminosa" que otras de sus obras. Historia larga, pero atrapante.
    Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: It's all about what people do for entertainment, status, and sport. Along the way, the entire spectrum of society is satirized.

English (161)  Italian (4)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  German (1)  Portuguese (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (171)
Seg men ok. ( )
  victor.k.jacobsson | May 23, 2020 |
good, but could have been several hundred pages shorter ( )
  Kelmanel | Apr 17, 2020 |
I can now place a check mark beside this one in my "must read" classics list. An interesting, cautionary tale filled with detailed descriptions and characters I never really cared about. Yes, Becky is a schemer of the highest order while Amelia is such a doormat, it is not surprising that events develop as they do. Good thing this is billed as being a satire of English society because one can only hope that individuals were not as stupid back than as Thackeray portrays. Characters driven by petty decisions based purely on advancing one's station and over the top efforts to only socialize with the "right" people, does not surprise me. Became a bit tedious in its predictability but then, human nature can be very predictable as well. While the story tended to drag in places, Thackeray does a decent job at providing witticisms for the reader to smile at and nod in agreement.

Overall, happy that I have finally read this one, but not be one that I will "re-read". ( )
  lkernagh | Apr 4, 2020 |
A satire about "highborn" English life in the 19th century. I found Thackeray's writing witty, funny, and biting. Then, as now, it is meant to be read in serialized form, hence I read it via Serial Reader. I couldn't really take too much Thackeray in a day! That being said, I did enjoy the inhabitants of Vanity Fair, although I did not care a whit for any of them. 822 pages ( )
  Tess_W | Feb 24, 2020 |
I started out liking this one very much and loving Becky's no-nonsense spirit, but by halfway through I thought the story was dragging quite a bit and by the end I was long past caring about these silly characters and their goings-on. File under Classic Lit What Needed a Keen Editor. ( )
  electrascaife | Feb 6, 2020 |

Weldon, FayIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winterich, John T.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To

B.W. PROCTER

this story is affectionately dedicated
To B. W. Procter This Story is affectionately dedicated
While the present century was in its teens, and on one sun-shiny morning in June, there drove up to the great iron gate of Miss Pinkerton's academy for young ladies, on Chiswick Mall, a large family coach, with two fat horses in blazing harness, driven by a fat coachman in a three-cornered hat and wig, at the rate of four miles an hour.
While the present century was in its teens, and on one sunshiny morning in June, there drove up to the great iron gate of Miss Pinkerton's academy for young ladies, on Chiswick Mall, a large family coach, with two fat horses in blazing harness, driven by a fat coachman in a three-cornered hat and wig, at the rate of hour miles an hour.
But, lo! and just as the coach drove off, Miss Sharp put her pale face out of the window and actually flung the book back into the garden.

Legacy Library: William Makepeace Thackeray

William Makepeace Thackeray has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See William Makepeace Thackeray's legacy profile.

See William Makepeace Thackeray's author page.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439831, 0141199644, 0141199547

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,632,050 books! | Top bar: Always visible