Ink in the Blood by Chandra Ryan

Authors:Chandra Ryan
Info:Lyrical Press, Inc., ebook
Tags:urban-fantasy

Ink in the Blood by Chandra Ryan

(Originally published on SnarkyMomReads)

"INK IN THE BLOOD" is a quick story - 67 pages - priced at $5.60. (I bet you know what's coming now - my rant about the INSANE pricing - because really - over $5 for a 67 page read? Are you kidding me?) I tried to justify it to myself that since I won a copy of "Bond Betrayed" it was like reducing the price. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. (We all know my OCD-ish mantra. MUST. READ. IN. ORDER.)

Izzy is the daughter of the magic Community's version of a mafia don, and after her half-brother got her hooked on alcohol & "dust" (drugs for the magic community), she is determined to hold tight to her sobriety. Part of that goal? To bring down her half-brother and father. Working with DEA agent Jacob Phinney, she helps on a drug bust - hoping to catch her half-brother in the same bust. Part of the problem? Jacob has absolutely no idea that there is a magic Community - and that Izzy herself has magic.

Really, this book has it all. Family angst & retribution; a really cool world where people can do neat things (like how convenient is it for a bartender to be able to light a cigarette by just snapping his fingers to get a flame?); and naturally (because, after all, this book IS published by Ellora's Cave) some SMOKIN' HOT sex scenes. This is a great, quick read and the author does an excellent job building believable characters and storylines - amazing when you realize it is under 100 pages! What would have made it better? If it were longer! Then again, that is the mark of a good author - that you leave the reader wanting more more more! What else would make it better? If the publisher were to price this more reasonably so that more readers could jump into the world of the Community with Chandra Ryan - because how many folks are actually going to shell out that much money for a short story? For that, Ellora's Cave - you get 1 star. For the book itself? Chandra Ryan - you're rocking it with five stars! ( )
  SnarkyMom | Aug 17, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,824,251 books! | Top bar: Always visible