Victory by Julian Stockwin

Victory (2010)

by Julian Stockwin

Series: Kydd (11)

Now captain of a fine frigate albeit with a very unhappy crew caused by their virtual but legal ship napping, Kydd is off to find Nelson. He does and they all chase the French hither and yon until they bring them to bay at tTafalgar. Nelson's unorthodox tactics and British disciplined gunfire defeat the French and their Spanish allies at great cost. Kydd's ship escorts the fallen admirals body home and England prepares to mourn their tragic victory. ( )
  jamespurcell | Apr 19, 2016 |
Stockwin doesn't disappoint, but things are getting long winded for some of his characters.

We certainly have exhausted our heroes side kick, Nicholas at this stage. Before he was a guide, but bow he seems as useless as a jellyfish. His classical learning helps at one point, but his angst ridden presence just takes up too much space. Certainly time to either make use of him, or get rid of him.

We spend so much time with the secondary sidekick, and Nelson, that we have little development of our hero, despite his getting made Post Captain and a frigate. This should be a great focus on him, as well as his POV of watching Trafalgar unfold.

Instead Stockwin is proud of his plot device, putting a former midshipman of Kydd's into Victory and watching some of the main action from there. I am not sure that this works. Kydd is part of the squadron of the great Admiral. That is more than enough, though their are moments portrayed with this plot device that are unique.

Still, since we do not see the battle through the eyes of our series hero, the entirety feels as if this is a transition book. A book that Stockwin needed to tackle because Trafalgar is essential to the saving of England. I am not of the belief that everything was as dire as Stockwin builds on, in his private meetings with a dying Pitt, and other vignettes we see.

But as a whole, the sense of urgency in which Trafalgar was needed to be fought is conveyed. Just wish we had seen it through more of Kydd's POV. ( )
  DWWilkin | Sep 21, 2012 |

Napoleon Bonaparte continues planning for the invasion of England as the Royal Navy patrols the seas. When convoluted political machinations in England lead to the impeachment of the head of the Navy, Commander Thomas Kydd is forced to choose sides.

Julian Stockwin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,350,221 books! | Top bar: Always visible