dismiss

A Is for Alibi by Sue Grafton

A Is for Alibi

by Sue Grafton

Series: The Kinsey Millhone Alphabet Mysteries (1)

A Kinsey Millhone mystery. When Laurence Fife was murdered, few mourned his passing. Plenty of people had reason to want him dead. But the police thought his wife Nikki - with motive, access and opportunity - was the #1 suspect. The jury thought so too. Eight years later and out on parole, Nikki hires Kinsey Millhone, a gutsy P.I., to find the real killer. The trail is cold but Kinsey finds a lead. It brings her face-to-face with the murderer! This is the first in the popular series featuring California investigator Kinsey Millhone. She's 32, twice divorced, no kids, an ex-cop who likes her work ... and who works strictly alone!… (more)

English (143)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (147)
A is for Alibi is the first book in Sue Grafton's alphabet mystery series,
Kinsey Millhone a 32-year-old Private Investigator living in California. I have just started this series, but I really enjoyed this book. The mystery keeps pages turning as it fascinating, suspenseful and a real fast read. The character Kinsey is very independent, you feel as you now know her, and she is portrayed as somebody you do know. Nikki Fife has just been released from prison after doing 8 years for the murdering her husband, Laurence. Nikki wants Kinsey to find the person who really killed Laurence Kinsey begins to investigate and finds out about another murder committed only days after Laurence's that is extremely similar. The victim was the accountant for Laurence's law firm, Libby Glass, and she was killed using an identical method of poisoning. This trail is 8-years-old, and Kinsey knows it won't be easy to find the truth. Kinsey begins to put together a picture of the people involved and the circumstances that led up to Laurence's murder. But somebody is not too pleased with Kinsey investigating and unveiling facts that could lead to the true murderer. Kinsey gets herself into danger, and as she struggles to put the pieces together, someone is trying to stop ( )
  rena40 | May 29, 2020 |
***This is a project of e-reading Grafton's series -- I started reading these back in the 1980s and would read each release as they came out over the years. To prevent spoilers, I will not attempt to summarize in detail.***

Kinsey is hired by a woman who wants her name cleared for a crime she didn't do. The storyline is thin here compared to later books which are more complex, but Kinsey Millhone is so endearingly bad-ass. Looking forward to getting reacquainted with her. ( )
  ValerieAndBooks | Apr 8, 2020 |
This was well written but I wish it had hooked me faster. The build-up was slow but once the story hit its stride, it became hard to put down. Not what I'd call a thriller, but a good mystery with a few heart-racing moments. ( )
  LilyRoseShadowlyn | Dec 24, 2019 |
The characters in this book are great from the main character Kinsey to the bar owner Rosie. The author quickly develops a world of folks around Kinsey that you know will be ever present in other books. Also, the characters specific to the case Kinsey is working are very well developed. You want to root for Nikki Fife, Kinsey’s client.

Sue Grafton does an excellent job of grounding this story into reality and by that I mean the case, the events are very normal and fit with the timeline of the series. The characters have assets, flaws, and trauma but don’t seem to be exaggerations or stereotypes. Also, the physical descriptions of people and locations give the reader an image in their mind and gives the story a good direction and flow.

Even though the author tells you the ending at the beginning of the book, the excitement and tension of the finale is not lost and I think that due to the narration of Judy Kaye who brought Kinsey to life. Her Kinsey is phenomenal and brings all her emotions and characteristics into reality.
  TVNerd95 | Jul 6, 2019 |

Toth, IngridTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my father
Chip Grafton,
who set me on this path
My name is Kinsey Millhone.
ISBN 9055011029 is the Dutch book for A Is for Alibi, B Is for Burglar, C Is for Corpse
ISBN 1405072873 is for the Macmillan Reader, retold by John Escott
ISBN 0333925866 is for the Heinemann ELT Guided Reader

Back cover:

'My name isn Kinsey Millhone. I'm a private investigator, licensed by the State of California. I'm thrity-two years old, twice divorced, no kids. The day before yesterday I killed someone and the fact weighs heavily on my mind...'

Kinsey had been out for most of the morning and the client was waiting in the corridor.

Nikki Fife. The eight years since Kinsey had seen her had left no visible scars. But now she was looking for the help that only a detective could provide.

For whoever had killed her husband, it wasn't Nikki Fife. And if his wife wasn't the murderer, that meant someone else was...

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,478,408 books! | Top bar: Always visible