A Is for Alibi by Sue Grafton

A Is for Alibi

by Sue Grafton

Series: The Kinsey Millhone Alphabet Mysteries (1)

5,2201621,248 (3.49)234

English (140)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (144)
A is for Alibi A is for Alibi is the first book in Sue Grafton's alphabet mystery series, Kinsey Millhone a 32-year-old Private Investigator living in California. I have just started this series, but I really enjoyed this book. The mystery keeps pages turning as it fascinating, suspenseful and a real fast read. The character Kinsey is very independent, you feel as you now know her, and she is portrayed as somebody you do know. Nikki Fife has just been released from prison after doing 8 years for the murdering her husband, Laurence. Nikki wants Kinsey to find the person who really killed Laurence. Kinsey begins to investigate and finds out about another murder committed only days after Laurence's that is extremely similar. The victim was the accountant for Laurence's law firm, Libby Glass, and she was killed using an identical method of poisoning. This trail is 8-years-old, and Kinsey knows it won't be easy to find the truth. Kinsey begins to put together a picture of the people involved and the circumstances that led up to Laurence's murder. But somebody is not too pleased with Kinsey investigating and unveiling facts that could lead to the true murderer. Kinsey gets herself into danger, and as she struggles to put the pieces together, someone is trying to stop her. ( )
  rena75 | Nov 14, 2018 |
Really 3 1/2 stars. I liked it well enough to continue the series. I liked Kinsey quite a bit. I did guess the resolution, but at this point, I've read so many mysteries I suppose that shouldn't surprise me. ( )
  GaylaBassham | May 27, 2018 |
I am much more impressed with this one than M is for Malice. I'll have to listen to some more of this series. Hopefully, the M installment is the odd one out. ( )
  hopeevey | May 20, 2018 |
Interesting how time changes a person. When I went to add this book to my LibraryThing account I discovered that I had already read it . Apparently , the much younger me did not connect with it as much as the present me because I had no recollection of ever reading it. I found this murder mystery to be a quick and interesting "get away" . The "present" me could appreciate a story with female main characters . The storyline was not as intense as some present day thrillers but it was a nice stress-less escape from reality. I am even looking into reading the next book in the series and wondering what other books the younger me did not appreciate as much as the older me would. ( )
  dalexander | Apr 1, 2018 |
Interesting. I am fairly certain I've read the first few of these Kinsey Millhone books, but I have no recollection of them. Pleasant surprise, I guess! ( )
  gossamerchild88 | Mar 30, 2018 |

Toth, IngridTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my father
Chip Grafton,
who set me on this path
My name is Kinsey Millhone.
ISBN 9055011029 is the Dutch book for A Is for Alibi, B Is for Burglar, C Is for Corpse
ISBN 1405072873 is for the Macmillan Reader, retold by John Escott
ISBN 0333925866 is for the Heinemann ELT Guided Reader

Back cover:

'My name isn Kinsey Millhone. I'm a private investigator, licensed by the State of California. I'm thrity-two years old, twice divorced, no kids. The day before yesterday I killed someone and the fact weighs heavily on my mind...'

Kinsey had been out for most of the morning and the client was waiting in the corridor.

Nikki Fife. The eight years since Kinsey had seen her had left no visible scars. But now she was looking for the help that only a detective could provide.

For whoever had killed her husband, it wasn't Nikki Fife. And if his wife wasn't the murderer, that meant someone else was...

A tough-talking former cop, private investigator Kinsey Millhone has set up a modest detective agency in a quiet corner of Santa Teresa, California. A twice-divorced loner with few personal possessions and fewer personal attachments, she’s got a soft spot for underdogs and lost causes.

Eight years ago, Nikki Fife was convicted of killing her philandering husband. Now she’s out on parole and needs Kinsey’s help to find the real killer.

If there's one thing that makes Kinsey feel alive, it's playing on the edge. When her investigation turns up a second corpse, more suspects, and a new reason to kill, Kinsey discovers that the edge is closer—and sharper—than she imagined.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:06 -0400)

Nikki Fife, out on parole after spending eight years in prison for the murder of her husband, hires investigator Kinsey Milhone to find out who really killed Laurence, a ruthless divorce attorney who had a wealth of enemies.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,223,173 books! | Top bar: Always visible