A is for Alibi (Kinsey Millhone Alphabet…

A is for Alibi (Kinsey Millhone Alphabet Mysteries, No. 1) (edition 2005)

by Sue Grafton

Member:monkeyreader
Title:A is for Alibi (Kinsey Millhone Alphabet Mysteries, No. 1)
Authors:Sue Grafton
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2005), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 320 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

A is for Alibi by Sue Grafton

Recently added byCarltonC, private library, palolu, syncione, katzplanet, MTHSLAL

English (110)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (113)
Turns out Sue Grafton was crafting sharply written whodunnits right from the start of the series. Kinsey Millhone’s a twice divorced, slightly cynical and competent PI: when a little B&E is called for, she just locates the spare keys, while regular running means she’s realistically fit enough for the adrenalin pumping finale. In this tale Nikki, in the (perhaps not) femme fatale role, was convicted of her husband’s murder despite claiming her innocence. Now she’s out on parole, she asks Kinsey to reinvestigate. Sue Grafton plays it straight. There’s more than one plausible suspect and as the book reaches its climax, each reveals their own burden of guilt, the wrongdoers receive their harsh desserts and the loose ends get wrapped up. ( )
  Bernadette877 | Mar 4, 2015 |
Once in a while I dip into what the masses are reading. I often regret it. This is a prime example. ( )
  JMlibrarian | Feb 27, 2015 |
Meh ( )
  AliceAnna | Oct 17, 2014 |
Kinsey is a likable character with a strong voice, opinions that are hard to sway, and a non-nonsense feeling about her that makes her easy to like. While the the other characters are not as well-developed as Kinsey, most don't make appearances in later books so their depth really doesn't need to be explored.

The story itself I would describe as light. It did take me a while to figure out where everything was going but once the final twist happens you know immediately and the book wraps up in short order. Grafton does a good job of keeping you guessing and throwing in twists.

For a first book I found the title quite enjoyable and will probably continue to read the series. ( )
  Hanneri | Sep 13, 2014 |
Sue Grafton is my go to author for vacation reads. The dry humor and the 1980's setting with big macs and walkmans just makes me grin. Not to mention phone books and answering machines. well thought out, IGrafton gives you clues along the way but doesn't shout out "here's the bad guy". a+reading ( )
  NicolefromCarmel | May 5, 2014 |

Toth, IngridTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my father
Chip Grafton,
who set me on this path
My name is Kinsey Millhone.

Back cover:

'My name isn Kinsey Millhone. I'm a private investigator, licensed by the State of California. I'm thrity-two years old, twice divorced, no kids. The day before yesterday I killed someone and the fact weighs heavily on my mind...'

Kinsey had been out for most of the morning and the client was waiting in the corridor.

Nikki Fife. The eight years since Kinsey had seen her had left no visible scars. But now she was looking for the help that only a detective could provide.

For whoever had killed her husband, it wasn't Nikki Fife. And if his wife wasn't the murderer, that meant someone else was...

A tough-talking former cop, private investigator Kinsey Millhone has set up a modest detective agency in a quiet corner of Santa Teresa, California. A twice-divorced loner with few personal possessions and fewer personal attachments, she’s got a soft spot for underdogs and lost causes.

Eight years ago, Nikki Fife was convicted of killing her philandering husband. Now she’s out on parole and needs Kinsey’s help to find the real killer.

If there's one thing that makes Kinsey feel alive, it's playing on the edge. When her investigation turns up a second corpse, more suspects, and a new reason to kill, Kinsey discovers that the edge is closer—and sharper—than she imagined.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:48 -0400)

Nikki Fife, out on parole after spending eight years in prison for the murder of her husband, hires investigator Kinsey Milhone to find out who really killed Laurence, a ruthless divorce attorney who had a wealth of enemies.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,148,198 books! | Top bar: Always visible