A is for Alibi (Kinsey Millhone Alphabet…

A is for Alibi (Kinsey Millhone Alphabet Mysteries, No. 1) (edition 2005)

by Sue Grafton

4,2001101,190 (3.48)144
Member:monkeyreader
Title:A is for Alibi (Kinsey Millhone Alphabet Mysteries, No. 1)
Authors:Sue Grafton
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2005), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 320 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

A is for Alibi by Sue Grafton (Author)

Recently added byMidnightFae, lcottereau, mfe5100, private library, soundofaspark, PJ817, MrCurl

English (108)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (110)
Sue Grafton is my go to author for vacation reads. The dry humor and the 1980's setting with big macs and walkmans just makes me grin. Not to mention phone books and answering machines. well thought out, IGrafton gives you clues along the way but doesn't shout out "here's the bad guy". a+reading ( )
  NicolefromCarmel | May 5, 2014 |
I've gone through the alphabet with Sue Grafton. I like her strong, independent female detective, Kinsey, her geriatric neighbor and his siblings, and the romps around California. There are only a few letters in the alphabet left and at this point, they are getting repetitive, but I'll finish the series. ( )
  vdunn | Apr 30, 2014 |
This was the first of the alphabet series by Sue Grafton that I've read, and it was okay. Kate does not come across to me as a particularly sympathetic character and I'm not aching to read another book about her, but I'm glad to had sampled this popular series. ( )
  wareagle78 | Jan 28, 2014 |
Some books/ authors you click with straight away. Also characters. I did with Sue, and Kinnsey.
There's beenendless reviews, so I'll say Sue is now on my favourite list...and a keeper, and am itching for B is for Burglar.
The r.oll call of characters did get difficult to follow at times, particularly the female ones, but that was linked to the storyline.
Would love to have Kinnsey as a mate. Not sure I could be her though...I don't gave the energy:) ( )
  RuthieD | Oct 30, 2013 |
Before I say anything, I need to clarify that the low score isn't representative of my chances of reading further installments. It was an okay book, nothing breathtaking, but at least it wasn't maudlin or prurient. Novels like these, low on intrigue and high on soap opera, usually are impossible to muster enthusiasm for. But the things I'm averse to were kept to a minimum. When I reached the last 10 % of the book, I relished beforehand about the finale but also about the task of completing the book. There's something rewarding about chiseling away a book, unit by unit, percent by percent, until its completion. The last 10 % are the sweetest. Keeping that in mind, I think I'll sign up for the letter B. ( )
  Jiraiya | Oct 10, 2013 |

Grafton, SueAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kalvas, ReijoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kaye, JudyReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Toth, IngridTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my father
Chip Grafton,
who set me on this path
My name is Kinsey Millhone.

Back cover:

'My name isn Kinsey Millhone. I'm a private investigator, licensed by the State of California. I'm thrity-two years old, twice divorced, no kids. The day before yesterday I killed someone and the fact weighs heavily on my mind...'

Kinsey had been out for most of the morning and the client was waiting in the corridor.

Nikki Fife. The eight years since Kinsey had seen her had left no visible scars. But now she was looking for the help that only a detective could provide.

For whoever had killed her husband, it wasn't Nikki Fife. And if his wife wasn't the murderer, that meant someone else was...

A tough-talking former cop, private investigator Kinsey Millhone has set up a modest detective agency in a quiet corner of Santa Teresa, California. A twice-divorced loner with few personal possessions and fewer personal attachments, she’s got a soft spot for underdogs and lost causes.

Eight years ago, Nikki Fife was convicted of killing her philandering husband. Now she’s out on parole and needs Kinsey’s help to find the real killer.

If there's one thing that makes Kinsey feel alive, it's playing on the edge. When her investigation turns up a second corpse, more suspects, and a new reason to kill, Kinsey discovers that the edge is closer—and sharper—than she imagined.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:48 -0400)

Nikki Fife, out on parole after spending eight years in prison for the murder of her husband, hires investigator Kinsey Milhone to find out who really killed Laurence, a ruthless divorce attorney who had a wealth of enemies.

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,248,034 books! | Top bar: Always visible