A is for Alibi (Kinsey Millhone Alphabet…

A is for Alibi (Kinsey Millhone Alphabet Mysteries, No. 1) (edition 2005)

by Sue Grafton

Member:monkeyreader
Title:A is for Alibi (Kinsey Millhone Alphabet Mysteries, No. 1)
Authors:Sue Grafton
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2005), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 320 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

A Is for Alibi by Sue Grafton

English (126)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (129)
A quick but decent read that's a bit like a more-cynical Nancy Drew mystery. Having read this first book, I do think the rest of the series is worth a go. The main character has enough quirks that you want to find out more about her and the plot went at a good pace. Interested to see where the series goes. ( )
  lamotamant | Sep 22, 2016 |
I probably would have actually given this book a 2 1/2 stars if it was possible, but I can't. While I enjoyed it overall, I felt like there was something missing.

I picked up these books because around 5 friends have been pushing hard for me to read this series. I thought the mystery was a good one. I was interested all the way until the end. I was slightly disappointed that I figured out whodunit pretty early on. That is part of why i wanted to give it 2 1/2 stars, I never felt the sort of suspense I'm used to when reading mysteries.

I found Kinsey really lacking as a protagonist. She was really unlikeable to me, but I can't really place why. Her internal monologs can get really annoying, and I was super disappointed in some of her choices in the novel. I felt that she should have known better about some of the things she did, and should have definitely seen the end coming. Sorry to be vague but I don't want to spoil it for anyone else.

Although I liked the book, it felt really flat while reading it. Nothing really got me excited or pulled me into the book. I would still recommend the book to people who like mysteries, and I hope that this was a case of it being the first book. Hopefully they start to get more interesting! ( )
  Sarah_Buckley | Sep 17, 2016 |
Funny story. I have almost the entire series before I even read the first book. I would've been upset if the book sucked but it doesn't! I enjoyed it a lot. Loved the main character Kinsey and the writing. Was there too much cursing? Absolutely not! It was perfect.

For the rest of the review, with SPOILERS! visit my blog at: http://angelofmine1974.livejournal.com/111847.html ( )
  booklover3258 | Sep 12, 2016 |
Review: A Is For Alibi by Sue Grafton. Another Kinsey Millhoe mystery defined. Kinsey was hired to investigate an eight year old murder. Nikki, the convicted murderess was released from prison after eight years in prison. She wanted answers. Her statement of not guilty stayed with her to the very end.

Kinsey put a lot of investigating in this case. The only thing is I knew right off who was bamboozling her investigation and was at the different places of thievery, accidents and murders just before she got to the person she was about to retrieve information to help her case. This person kept a close account of Kinsey’s coming‘s and going‘s.

It was the usual detective story but to revealing of intent, motive and disclosing information to the reader. The story did not expand enough before the reader was able to make the bust……A good read but to forthcoming with information to soon…..
  Juan-banjo | May 31, 2016 |
I expected to like this--a lot. I guess it was because I've heard of Sue Grafton for years and this is her series that has continued for decades and it just seemed, well, it must be really good.

I was disappointed. I couldn't connect with the heroine, Kinsey. I've read a lot of good series lately, Stephanie Plum, Carlotta of Body Movers, Lisa Scottoline's multiple heroines, but here was a heroine I just could find no rapport or emotional connect with. She seemed like she wanted to be a good ole boy with the language and intention. Humor was lacking. I think that if you write a book about a hard-boiled female detective there should at least be a good sense of humor attached to it.

The mystery was not that difficult to guess either.

I haven't decided whether to end it here or try another book. (Not that I really NEED another series to follow.) :) ( )
  SaschaD | Apr 28, 2016 |

Toth, IngridTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my father
Chip Grafton,
who set me on this path
My name is Kinsey Millhone.
ISBN 9055011029 is the Dutch book for A Is for Alibi, B Is for Burglar, C Is for Corpse

Back cover:

'My name isn Kinsey Millhone. I'm a private investigator, licensed by the State of California. I'm thrity-two years old, twice divorced, no kids. The day before yesterday I killed someone and the fact weighs heavily on my mind...'

Kinsey had been out for most of the morning and the client was waiting in the corridor.

Nikki Fife. The eight years since Kinsey had seen her had left no visible scars. But now she was looking for the help that only a detective could provide.

For whoever had killed her husband, it wasn't Nikki Fife. And if his wife wasn't the murderer, that meant someone else was...

A tough-talking former cop, private investigator Kinsey Millhone has set up a modest detective agency in a quiet corner of Santa Teresa, California. A twice-divorced loner with few personal possessions and fewer personal attachments, she’s got a soft spot for underdogs and lost causes.

Eight years ago, Nikki Fife was convicted of killing her philandering husband. Now she’s out on parole and needs Kinsey’s help to find the real killer.

If there's one thing that makes Kinsey feel alive, it's playing on the edge. When her investigation turns up a second corpse, more suspects, and a new reason to kill, Kinsey discovers that the edge is closer—and sharper—than she imagined.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:06 -0400)

Nikki Fife, out on parole after spending eight years in prison for the murder of her husband, hires investigator Kinsey Milhone to find out who really killed Laurence, a ruthless divorce attorney who had a wealth of enemies.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,131,833 books! | Top bar: Always visible