A is for Alibi

A is for Alibi (edition 1982)

Member:BethArcher
Title:A is for Alibi
Authors:
Info:Bantam Crime Line (1982), Unknown Binding
Tags:Mystery, Private Investigator

A Is for Alibi by Sue Grafton

English (129)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  English (132)
first of Sue Grafton books i have read so figured i start from the beginning. i enjoyed the book with the different twist and turns along the way. i did have an idea who did it 3/4 away trough the book but took almost to the end to confirm. i will be looking forward to continuing my way trough the alphabet with her. ( )
  cbloky | Dec 7, 2016 |
Really 3 1/2 stars. I liked it well enough to continue the series. I liked Kinsey quite a bit. I did guess the resolution, but at this point, I've read so many mysteries I suppose that shouldn't surprise me. ( )
  gayla.bassham | Nov 7, 2016 |
This is the first in the Kinsey Millhone Detective series, and follows private investigator Kinsey as she tries to discover the real killer of a divorce lawyer eight years on from when the crime took place. I came into this novel with high hopes, it had some good reviews and I always love reading about female detectives, however it didn't really live up to the expectations. Maybe I just had higher hopes for it than it deserved, but it fell flat for me.
What I really felt was missing was the connection with the characters. As the main character, I expected to connect with Kinsey, instead I was left feeling that she lacked dimension and depth. Grafton tried to write her in a way that made her seem hard and kick ass, instead she came across as rude, cold and emotionless. Overall I didn't really like Kinsey at all. I also questioned some of her actions during the investigation, including the fact that she slept with one of the suspects, which seemed a strange decision for a private detective, and must be against the unspoken guidelines of being a detective? As the novel is written in first person, from Kinsey's point of view, I had hoped that this would allow for a better insight into how she went about solving the mysteries, and her train of thought throughout the novel. However there was very little thoughts and feelings in the narrative, it read as though she was just giving a statement of what happened, just including the facts and nothing else.
I also thought the "mystery" aspect was pretty average. I knew who had committed the crime from about half way through the novel, and it seemed obvious to me, and kind of disappointing that Kinsey didn't notice it.
I also felt that the novel was missing some of the mystery and suspense that I expect from a mystery novel, it all seemed rather simple, there was no great twist to the novel to surprise me.
However there were some things that I liked about the novel. Due to the fact that Kinsey's narrative lacked feelings, it included lots of descriptions, many of which I really liked reading. I also liked the ending of the book, the last couple of chapters were fast paced, and action filled, they took me no time to read, compared to the rest of the novel which was a little slow. I also enjoyed the various strands of the story and characters that were included in the novel, and how they all linked together.
Overall I gave this novel 3/5 as I thought it was an ok detective novel, but nothing special,and I don't think I will be continuing with the series. ( )
  ACascadeofBooks | Oct 5, 2016 |
A quick but decent read that's a bit like a more-cynical Nancy Drew mystery. Having read this first book, I do think the rest of the series is worth a go. The main character has enough quirks that you want to find out more about her and the plot went at a good pace. Interested to see where the series goes. ( )
  lamotamant | Sep 22, 2016 |
I probably would have actually given this book a 2 1/2 stars if it was possible, but I can't. While I enjoyed it overall, I felt like there was something missing.

I picked up these books because around 5 friends have been pushing hard for me to read this series. I thought the mystery was a good one. I was interested all the way until the end. I was slightly disappointed that I figured out whodunit pretty early on. That is part of why i wanted to give it 2 1/2 stars, I never felt the sort of suspense I'm used to when reading mysteries.

I found Kinsey really lacking as a protagonist. She was really unlikeable to me, but I can't really place why. Her internal monologs can get really annoying, and I was super disappointed in some of her choices in the novel. I felt that she should have known better about some of the things she did, and should have definitely seen the end coming. Sorry to be vague but I don't want to spoil it for anyone else.

Although I liked the book, it felt really flat while reading it. Nothing really got me excited or pulled me into the book. I would still recommend the book to people who like mysteries, and I hope that this was a case of it being the first book. Hopefully they start to get more interesting! ( )
  Sarah_Buckley | Sep 17, 2016 |

Toth, IngridTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my father
Chip Grafton,
who set me on this path
My name is Kinsey Millhone.
ISBN 9055011029 is the Dutch book for A Is for Alibi, B Is for Burglar, C Is for Corpse

Back cover:

'My name isn Kinsey Millhone. I'm a private investigator, licensed by the State of California. I'm thrity-two years old, twice divorced, no kids. The day before yesterday I killed someone and the fact weighs heavily on my mind...'

Kinsey had been out for most of the morning and the client was waiting in the corridor.

Nikki Fife. The eight years since Kinsey had seen her had left no visible scars. But now she was looking for the help that only a detective could provide.

For whoever had killed her husband, it wasn't Nikki Fife. And if his wife wasn't the murderer, that meant someone else was...

A tough-talking former cop, private investigator Kinsey Millhone has set up a modest detective agency in a quiet corner of Santa Teresa, California. A twice-divorced loner with few personal possessions and fewer personal attachments, she’s got a soft spot for underdogs and lost causes.

Eight years ago, Nikki Fife was convicted of killing her philandering husband. Now she’s out on parole and needs Kinsey’s help to find the real killer.

If there's one thing that makes Kinsey feel alive, it's playing on the edge. When her investigation turns up a second corpse, more suspects, and a new reason to kill, Kinsey discovers that the edge is closer—and sharper—than she imagined.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:06 -0400)

Nikki Fife, out on parole after spending eight years in prison for the murder of her husband, hires investigator Kinsey Milhone to find out who really killed Laurence, a ruthless divorce attorney who had a wealth of enemies.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,730,408 books! | Top bar: Always visible