A is for Alibi

A is for Alibi (edition 1982)

Member:BethArcher
Title:A is for Alibi
Authors:
Info:Bantam Crime Line (1982), Unknown Binding
Tags:Mystery, Private Investigator

A Is For Alibi by Sue Grafton

English (120)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (123)
A quick but decent read that's a bit like a more-cynical Nancy Drew mystery. Having read this first book, I do think the rest of the series is worth a go. The main character has enough quirks that you want to find out more about her and the plot went at a good pace. Interested to see where the series goes. ( )
  lemotamant898 | Jan 18, 2016 |
  motavant | Jan 17, 2016 |
Got me hooked. I've continued to read them as they are published. ( )
  Connie-D | Jan 17, 2016 |
Audiobook performed by Mary Peiffer

Book #1 in the Kinsey Millhone series. Kinsey is a private investigator who is asked to look into an old murder case – by the woman convicted of poisoning her unfaithful husband. Nikki Fife has served her time but she swears she was innocent and wants to know who DID kill her husband. As Kinsey begins looking into the old case she discovers that a young accountant who did the law firm’s books also died shortly after Nikki’s husband – and of the same poison. The more details she uncovers, the less they seem to fit together, and possible witnesses begin to die.

This is a fast-paced mystery thriller with plenty of twists and turns and multiple suspects to keep the reader busy. Kinsey is a wonderful lead character – something of a loner, twice divorced no kids, no pets, working hard and working smart. She’s resourceful, tenacious, and intelligent and can take care of herself. I like that the book is set in an era before wide-spread use of computers, and without cell phones. This requires Kinsey to investigate the old-fashioned way (does anyone else remember using a reverse directory?).

The book is very atmospheric. Grafton describes the Southern California landscape clearly and succinctly, giving the reader a good sense of the terrain. I also like the way she describes the various characters; I got a very clear picture of each of them.

Mary Peiffer performs the audiobook at a good pace. She does not use many different voices for the various characters, but that wasn’t too problematic. Grafton’s dialogue makes it clear who is speaking and I was never confused.

I’ve read this book before – decades ago. I didn’t remember anything about it other than that I liked the central character. I think I’ll have to continue reading the series again.
  BookConcierge | Jan 13, 2016 |
I like to read at least one book by popular mystery/thriller writers since I'm so interested in the genre. This was a perfectly fun read. Lots of elements I've seen elsewhere. Can definitely say I won't read my way through the alphabet. But a reasonable snack from time to time. (Audiobook.) ( )
  idiotgirl | Dec 25, 2015 |

Toth, IngridTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my father
Chip Grafton,
who set me on this path
My name is Kinsey Millhone.
ISBN 9055011029 is the Dutch book for A Is for Alibi, B Is for Burglar, C Is for Corpse

Back cover:

'My name isn Kinsey Millhone. I'm a private investigator, licensed by the State of California. I'm thrity-two years old, twice divorced, no kids. The day before yesterday I killed someone and the fact weighs heavily on my mind...'

Kinsey had been out for most of the morning and the client was waiting in the corridor.

Nikki Fife. The eight years since Kinsey had seen her had left no visible scars. But now she was looking for the help that only a detective could provide.

For whoever had killed her husband, it wasn't Nikki Fife. And if his wife wasn't the murderer, that meant someone else was...

A tough-talking former cop, private investigator Kinsey Millhone has set up a modest detective agency in a quiet corner of Santa Teresa, California. A twice-divorced loner with few personal possessions and fewer personal attachments, she’s got a soft spot for underdogs and lost causes.

Eight years ago, Nikki Fife was convicted of killing her philandering husband. Now she’s out on parole and needs Kinsey’s help to find the real killer.

If there's one thing that makes Kinsey feel alive, it's playing on the edge. When her investigation turns up a second corpse, more suspects, and a new reason to kill, Kinsey discovers that the edge is closer—and sharper—than she imagined.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:06 -0400)

Nikki Fife, out on parole after spending eight years in prison for the murder of her husband, hires investigator Kinsey Milhone to find out who really killed Laurence, a ruthless divorce attorney who had a wealth of enemies.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,198,396 books! | Top bar: Always visible