A is for Alibi

A is for Alibi (edition 1982)

Member:BethArcher
Title:A is for Alibi
Authors:
Info:Bantam Crime Line (1982), Unknown Binding
Tags:Mystery, Private Investigator

A Is for Alibi by Sue Grafton

Recently added byEmpressReece, Richard54, krissynaguit, MaxCastle, kraye, cpeyus, cohofalls, private library, Arenda17

English (124)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (127)
A quick but decent read that's a bit like a more-cynical Nancy Drew mystery. Having read this first book, I do think the rest of the series is worth a go. The main character has enough quirks that you want to find out more about her and the plot went at a good pace. Interested to see where the series goes. ( )
  lamotamant | Jun 23, 2016 |
Review: A Is For Alibi by Sue Grafton. Another Kinsey Millhoe mystery defined. Kinsey was hired to investigate an eight year old murder. Nikki, the convicted murderess was released from prison after eight years in prison. She wanted answers. Her statement of not guilty stayed with her to the very end.

Kinsey put a lot of investigating in this case. The only thing is I knew right off who was bamboozling her investigation and was at the different places of thievery, accidents and murders just before she got to the person she was about to retrieve information to help her case. This person kept a close account of Kinsey’s coming‘s and going‘s.

It was the usual detective story but to revealing of intent, motive and disclosing information to the reader. The story did not expand enough before the reader was able to make the bust……A good read but to forthcoming with information to soon…..
  Juan-banjo | May 31, 2016 |
I expected to like this--a lot. I guess it was because I've heard of Sue Grafton for years and this is her series that has continued for decades and it just seemed, well, it must be really good.

I was disappointed. I couldn't connect with the heroine, Kinsey. I've read a lot of good series lately, Stephanie Plum, Carlotta of Body Movers, Lisa Scottoline's multiple heroines, but here was a heroine I just could find no rapport or emotional connect with. She seemed like she wanted to be a good ole boy with the language and intention. Humor was lacking. I think that if you write a book about a hard-boiled female detective there should at least be a good sense of humor attached to it.

The mystery was not that difficult to guess either.

I haven't decided whether to end it here or try another book. (Not that I really NEED another series to follow.) :) ( )
  SaschaD | Apr 28, 2016 |
Review Originally Posted At: FictionForesight

Kinsey Millhone is a private detective who lives for her job. She is hired by Nikki, a woman who was found guilty of murdering her husband and wants justice after serving her time in prison. Kinsey soon discovers that much more is going on than meets the eye, and is her new beau involved more than she cares to admit?

I have seen this series floating around book discount sites and book stores for a while, though I have always skipped over them for different books. I was curious to see what this series was about, since it follows the alphabet and many people recommend it. It reads like one of the old-school Noir films, with the black and white investigator giving us hardcore opinions of the fluffy characters and bringing everything down to Earth. Kinsey is the typical female ex-cop type, someone dedicated to their work with a high esteem of justice, and that places rules over personal relationships. She makes a point of saying she has been divorced twice, and doesn’t bemoan them afterward.

The story is fast paced in the beginning, until the point where Kinsey is thrust into a relationship with Charlie. It is an oddly paced affair, with a false intensity that feels out-of-place. Maybe this is to tip the reader off to something sinister lurking beneath the kindness, but it seems to fit the normal cozy mystery formula. It’s weird because they sleep together twice, then there is a sudden rush into an intense relationship, and a huge fallout when she pushes him back just a bit. It seems as though someone who has been in multiple divorces would have known how to handle this kind of relationship. I’m not sure if this is a reflection of the culture in the Eighties, as obviously this has some dated elements in it. I actually like that they mentioned the behind the scenes action, like callback services and needing to keep in touch with the hotel staff. As this was written before the widespread use of cellphones, it’s a good representation of communication before everything became available at the tips of our fingers.

Other than the relationship flop, it was a very interesting read. The mystery wasn’t fully discernible until other clues were revealed later on; though I guessed part of it, which kept things interesting. Kinsey had a very relatable female voice, in everything from her observations of others to her opinions on her personal life. My second favorite quote from her is when she mentions how she shaved her legs on a day off to “show [she] still had some class,” and otherwise is very human in the investigation. It was a fun, quick read that makes me want to pick up the next when I’m bored and need a boost.

I would recommend this to those looking for a less violent mystery that still has adult themes. It wasn’t over the top in adult scenarios but it definitely was written for the adult audience, and the characters aren’t just hyped-up young adults trying to be older than their real age. I would liken this to a toned-down Stephanie Plum novel. I wasn’t a fan of Stephanie Plum, but I loved this!

(www.FictionForesight.com) ( )
  FictionForesight | Apr 26, 2016 |
This was the first book I read in this series. I instantly liked Kinsey. She is so gutsy and jumps in feet first. I like Sue Grafton's style and continued to read all of her books in order. Some are better than others, but I enjoy them. They are my "easy breezy" light reading when I am not in the mood or do not have the time to read anything that will take more concentration, time and effort. Since I always have to be reading something, these are a nice break. Like Thomas Jefferson once said, "I cannot live without books." ( )
  MillieC | Apr 23, 2016 |

Toth, IngridTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my father
Chip Grafton,
who set me on this path
My name is Kinsey Millhone.
ISBN 9055011029 is the Dutch book for A Is for Alibi, B Is for Burglar, C Is for Corpse

Back cover:

'My name isn Kinsey Millhone. I'm a private investigator, licensed by the State of California. I'm thrity-two years old, twice divorced, no kids. The day before yesterday I killed someone and the fact weighs heavily on my mind...'

Kinsey had been out for most of the morning and the client was waiting in the corridor.

Nikki Fife. The eight years since Kinsey had seen her had left no visible scars. But now she was looking for the help that only a detective could provide.

For whoever had killed her husband, it wasn't Nikki Fife. And if his wife wasn't the murderer, that meant someone else was...

A tough-talking former cop, private investigator Kinsey Millhone has set up a modest detective agency in a quiet corner of Santa Teresa, California. A twice-divorced loner with few personal possessions and fewer personal attachments, she’s got a soft spot for underdogs and lost causes.

Eight years ago, Nikki Fife was convicted of killing her philandering husband. Now she’s out on parole and needs Kinsey’s help to find the real killer.

If there's one thing that makes Kinsey feel alive, it's playing on the edge. When her investigation turns up a second corpse, more suspects, and a new reason to kill, Kinsey discovers that the edge is closer—and sharper—than she imagined.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:06 -0400)

Nikki Fife, out on parole after spending eight years in prison for the murder of her husband, hires investigator Kinsey Milhone to find out who really killed Laurence, a ruthless divorce attorney who had a wealth of enemies.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,307,958 books! | Top bar: Always visible