A is for Alibi

A is for Alibi (edition 1982)

Member:BethArcher
Title:A is for Alibi
Authors:
Info:
Tags:Mystery, Private Investigator

A is for Alibi by Sue Grafton (Author)

English (110)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (112)
Meh ( )
  AliceAnna | Oct 17, 2014 |
Kinsey is a likable character with a strong voice, opinions that are hard to sway, and a non-nonsense feeling about her that makes her easy to like. While the the other characters are not as well-developed as Kinsey, most don't make appearances in later books so their depth really doesn't need to be explored.

The story itself I would describe as light. It did take me a while to figure out where everything was going but once the final twist happens you know immediately and the book wraps up in short order. Grafton does a good job of keeping you guessing and throwing in twists.

For a first book I found the title quite enjoyable and will probably continue to read the series. ( )
  Hanneri | Sep 13, 2014 |
Sue Grafton is my go to author for vacation reads. The dry humor and the 1980's setting with big macs and walkmans just makes me grin. Not to mention phone books and answering machines. well thought out, IGrafton gives you clues along the way but doesn't shout out "here's the bad guy". a+reading ( )
  NicolefromCarmel | May 5, 2014 |
I've gone through the alphabet with Sue Grafton. I like her strong, independent female detective, Kinsey, her geriatric neighbor and his siblings, and the romps around California. There are only a few letters in the alphabet left and at this point, they are getting repetitive, but I'll finish the series. ( )
  vdunn | Apr 30, 2014 |
This was the first of the alphabet series by Sue Grafton that I've read, and it was okay. Kate does not come across to me as a particularly sympathetic character and I'm not aching to read another book about her, but I'm glad to had sampled this popular series. ( )
  wareagle78 | Jan 28, 2014 |

Grafton, SueAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kalvas, ReijoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kaye, JudyReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Toth, IngridTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my father
Chip Grafton,
who set me on this path
My name is Kinsey Millhone.

Back cover:

'My name isn Kinsey Millhone. I'm a private investigator, licensed by the State of California. I'm thrity-two years old, twice divorced, no kids. The day before yesterday I killed someone and the fact weighs heavily on my mind...'

Kinsey had been out for most of the morning and the client was waiting in the corridor.

Nikki Fife. The eight years since Kinsey had seen her had left no visible scars. But now she was looking for the help that only a detective could provide.

For whoever had killed her husband, it wasn't Nikki Fife. And if his wife wasn't the murderer, that meant someone else was...

A tough-talking former cop, private investigator Kinsey Millhone has set up a modest detective agency in a quiet corner of Santa Teresa, California. A twice-divorced loner with few personal possessions and fewer personal attachments, she’s got a soft spot for underdogs and lost causes.

Eight years ago, Nikki Fife was convicted of killing her philandering husband. Now she’s out on parole and needs Kinsey’s help to find the real killer.

If there's one thing that makes Kinsey feel alive, it's playing on the edge. When her investigation turns up a second corpse, more suspects, and a new reason to kill, Kinsey discovers that the edge is closer—and sharper—than she imagined.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:48 -0400)

Nikki Fife, out on parole after spending eight years in prison for the murder of her husband, hires investigator Kinsey Milhone to find out who really killed Laurence, a ruthless divorce attorney who had a wealth of enemies.

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,387,241 books! | Top bar: Always visible