Navigating Smell and Taste Disorders by…

Navigating Smell and Taste Disorders (2010)

by Ronald Devere

209515,329 (4.33)None

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I don't have any Smell and Taste problems, but if I did this would have been a very helpful book. It goes over the science behind smell and taste without being overwhelming and offers plenty of encouragement for how you can enjoyably live with a smell and taste problem.

full disclosure: I received this book for free through the Early Reviewers program.
  jcopenha | Mar 26, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Dr. DeVere's book is a much-needed asset to problem solving this multi layered human reality. His clear style, simplifying so many complications, provides opportunity to encourage in a meaningful way. Amazing to have a quick read in such intricate details -- a useful resource. ( )
  mj.greenway | Nov 26, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I guess this needs a better description, because I was completely disappointed by it. This book is for people that cannot smell or taste well, and I was hoping for the opposite.
  heike6 | Nov 18, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Authors Ronald DeVere and Marjorie Calvert have provided a very well designed and much needed book in this publication. Written in such a way that it can be understood by the layman, the book offers information for those who have lost their sense of taste, their sense of smell, or both.

The main chapters of the book are:

Why Can't I Smell
Why Can't I Taste
Temperature, Texture, and Spice: How Does the Smell and Taste System Work?
Sniffing Out What's Wrong: How Smell and Taste Disorders Are Diagnosed
What Does It Mean? Treatment Options and Lifestyle Changes

Concepts are presented in a clear way with definitions of words in the footnotes area, with diagrams, and with text boxes for extra information.

The most wonderful part of the book though is found in the final two chapters: "Food Preparation"; and "Recipes". The cooking tips and recipes here were taste tested by both smell/taste impaired individuals and individuals with normal taste and smell. Each recipe includes a note on why it was chosen for inclusion in the book. Also, variations are also included with most recipes. These are ideas that can be used if the recipe as presented does not succeed in better satisfying the impaired person.

The book has several appendices also:
Smell and Taste Clinics
Food Resources
Recommended Reading
Internet Resources
About Neurologists
About the American Academy of Neurology and the American Academy of Neurology Foundation

Finally there is a glossary, and an index.

This book is a great resource for anyone suffering from spell and/or taste impairment, and for anyone who has a loved one dealing with the problem. ( )
  debherter | Nov 8, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I liked this booklet - it was a light, easy read. It has clinical-style information but written for the layman.
This 19.95 book has 180 pages - 90 are a discussion of your taste/smell system, with a light brush on touch and how it enhances flavor.
The second half of the book are recipes, some of which are intriguing, index, Location of clinics, & glossaries
It also has a couple of illustrations to help you visualize this sensing system.
It is an intersting read for ANYBODY who feels their taste/smell is wonky. It discusses regular, hpo, and non sensing, causes, effects, how medications can help and hurt - how some common diseases can affect your senses and if it will clear up...
and I think I need to see if the local ENT will do a nasal endoscopy - it might clear up a mystery nobody else had been able to touch.
Gotta love catching books - this one is definetly a keeper! ( )
  dragonasbreath | Nov 7, 2010 |
It is hard for many of us to envision a life where we cannot smell and taste our morning coffee or smell a freshly mown lawn, a bouquet of flowers, or our favorite perfume
Caught through LibraryThing, I'm thinking this is the pre-publication issue, so official print date will likely be different than mine.

Demos Health

An edition of this book was published by Demos Health.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Navigating Smell and Taste Disorders by mddevereronaldandcal was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,782,732 books! | Top bar: Always visible