A World Without Heroes (1) (Beyonders) by…

A World Without Heroes (1) (Beyonders) (edition 2012)

by Brandon Mull (Author)

Series: Beyonders (1)

Fourteen-year-old Jason Walker is transported to a strange world called Lyrian, where he joins Rachel, who was also drawn there from our world, and a few rebels, to piece together the Word that can destroy the malicious wizard emperor, Surroth.
Member:LukusCounterman
Title:A World Without Heroes (1) (Beyonders)
Authors:Brandon Mull (Author)
Info:Aladdin (2012), Edition: Reprint, 512 pages

A World Without Heroes by Brandon Mull

lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
awesome ( )
  DigitalKB | Apr 13, 2020 |
ason Walker is a normal teenage boy who spends his time working hard to get good grades in school, practicing baseball and working up the courage to talk to the cute girl in school that he has a crush on. Then, one day at the zoo, he takes a strange and unusual trip from the hippo tank and ends up in the magical world of Lyrian. In Lyrian, all the people live in fear of their evil wizard emperor, Maldor. Jason ends up with the quest of finding the magical word of power that will defeat Maldor. In this quest, he meet Rachel, another girl from America who was also magically transported into Lyrian. Together, they work on finding the word of power which they hope will lead to a way home.

I came to this series extremely excited because I'm a fan of Brandon Mull's Fablehaven series. I was not disappointed. This was a fun creative book. Mull did a very good job of developing the world of Lyrian. He came up with some amazing characters that I don't want to spoil any of the surprises for any readers out there. It's a completely different premise than the Fablehaven books. I'd say it's more related to Lord of the Rings. ( )
  melrailey | Apr 7, 2020 |
Beyonders: A World Without Heroes Book Review

I give this book 4 out of 5 Bubblefruits.

By Brandon Mull

I'm listening to the end of this book on audio as I begin to write this review. The first book of the Beyonders series is a good story. Brandon Mull certainly has a very creative mind, and that shows through brilliantly in this novel.

From a pacing perspective, this book starts slow. I remember trying to listen to the audiobook version before, months ago in fact, and after falling in love with the prologue and getting excited for the rest of the story, I ran into chapter 1. I got so bored that I stopped listening to it. It was all kids, baseball, and look, those girls are cute. I'm not sure what finally brought me back to the book again, but I am glad that I gave it another chance. Once the main character, Jason, gets into the other world, and on with his quest, the book takes off nicely. (Yes, you'll come to find out that baseball actually matters later.)

From a world-building perspective, Brandon Mull leverages his wild imagination to create a fascinating environment with crazy creatures, strange food customs, and shifty characters. This world is devoid of heroes, which is by the villain, Maldor's design. As the main characters from our world visit that one, Jason and Rachel fumble their way through distraught cities, questionable taverns, and the open road.

The plot is fantastic. The world has no heroes, and there is an evil emperor that rules the land through fear, control, and manipulation. The Emporer also happens to be a wizard, but a wizard with one serious flaw—there is a magic word, that, if spoken will be his instant demise. Jason comes across this information, and the first clue to learning the word. This starts his quest.

The one thing I struggle with in Brandon Mull books is his characters' dialogue. Sometimes it just doesn't sound right. In some cases it's related to diction, and in other cases its just the way it flows and how it sounds. I suppose this is a minor thing, but I thought I'd call it out.

If you are looking for a fun summertime read that can help you escape reality a little bit. This book can definitely fit the bill. Check it out. It's a fun read. ( )
  wisealma | Nov 21, 2018 |
In the beginning Jason is at his job at the zoo and he hears music coming from the hippo tank; he leaned in to hear it better and fell into the tank, and the hippo swallowed Jason. When the hippo swallowed Jason he entered into another world, it is called Lyrian. Jason was running away from an angry group of people and came upon the Repository of Learning, where he found a book covered in flesh and it said that he now had to look for a word that would destroy the emperor Maldor. He was told to go to the Blind King and that he would give him answers; when he found the Blind King, he was told that he had to go to an underwater cave that housed a man who knew a syllable that completed the word, the Blind King also gave Jason the first syllable. When Jason was ready to leave he was joined by Rachel, who was from the Beyond too. They had to jump off a cliff into the water and when they jumped they had to swim until they found the cave. They were given another syllable and another place to go and look for another syllable and they had to fight a giant crab to escape the cave; they were almost caught by the crab, but they made it! When they were on their way to Trensicourt when they came upon a displacer, they helped him and then the 3 of them went off to Trensicourt with a helpful companion, they found a man who gave them help to become chancellor in Trensicourt and he had a battle of wits with the current chancellor and was able to win; when he became chancellor he found another syllable to the word and he left for another place to look for another syllable on an island in the middle of Whitelake. Rachel ran across the lake to get to the island and found another displacer, but it was only a head and an arm and found another syllable, she also found out that all of the displacers except that one were loyal to Maldor and that they had to get rid of the one that was traveling with them. They were attacked many times after they got rid of the displacer that was with them and was joined by a member of the Amar Kabal they found the last syllable with him when they found a girl who lived in a guarded tree. He accepted his invitation to Harthenham. He found the last syllable and was able to escape. He met with Maldor and he said the arimfexandrapuse word that was supposed to destroy Maldor and it did not work. He was sent to prison and was tortured until the displacer that had traveled with him and Rachel and escaped. He was able to get back to his real world.

I gave this book five stars, because this book has been my favorite book like ever. I really like the kind of book that has mystical creatures and action. This book has some really amazing characters that come to life while you read. I recommend this book if you like fantasy and adventure. I cannot wait to see what happens next in the next book. Jason was really interesting and i could tell that he was really scared at times, and the same goes for Rachel. Jason made a really nice hero. I didn’t want to put it down! ( )
  MorganJ.G1 | Oct 24, 2018 |
Once again, for Mary.
The prince dangled in the darkness, shoulders aching, ancient manacles digging into his wrists as he tried to sleep.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,522,086 books! | Top bar: Always visible