Ain't She Sweet? by Susan Elizabeth…

Ain't She Sweet? (edition 2005)

by Susan Elizabeth Phillips

Info:Avon (2005), Mass Market Paperback, 416 pages

Ain't She Sweet? by Susan Elizabeth Phillips

3.5 ( )
  Versha.Bharat | May 30, 2014 |
The reason that this book is my favorite romance of all time is because it was totally different from the romances I read, back in the day when I really liked reading romances.

Heroines were not Mean Girls, like Sugar Beth was. Really. Heroines were goody-two-shoes, who had troubled pasts, but they were also spunky (who still says spunky?), and everybody just luurrrved them. Not Sugar Beth. And what kind of heroine's name is Sugar Beth? I almost didn't read this book for that, no kidding. Thank God for the 'dark prince' description of Mr Colin Byrne. Ooh-lala, he's my all-time favorite hero for being an Englishman through-and-through living in the South of America. A gothic hero living in modern times (and I didn't even like gothic heroes). But then, he's not really gothic if he's funny, right?

But SEP made a fantastical premise, and created a very romantic story out of two people you would not have thought should end up together. Sugar Beth was a mean girl, who went to college and left behind her southern hometown, it seemed, for good. Colin was Sugar Beth's English English teacher, 15 years ago. Now, how creepy is a student-teacher relationship? But with SEP's humor, she just made it all work.

This book was funny, dramatic, and fantastic and realistic at the same time. I would read this over and over. ( )
  qquiet | Apr 2, 2013 |
There were things I really enjoyed about this book (the dialogue, as per SEP usual) and things I hated (the description of what Colin looked like--a velvet ribbon holding back his hair?suspenders and a silk shirt? say whaaaat?). I didn't really care too much about the Gigi storyline, but there were parts that made me so angry for Sugar Beth, parts that made me teary, and lots of parts that made me chuckle--really, it was a pleasure to read and I devoured it in one afternoon. ( )
  FlanneryAC | Mar 31, 2013 |
I couldn’t stop reading this book once I started! Susan Elizabeth Phillips never fails to amaze me. I always end up sighing when reading her books. They’re just so awesome. This one’s a bit different from the other ones I’ve read by her. It has comedy, but it’s a bit more dramatic. There’s just a lot of problems from the past included. Yes, there are a lot of flashbacks and changes from character’s point of views. But that’s what makes it special. I wouldn’t categorize it as typical romance. I felt like it was more like a relationship novel. Still, it was an amazing read. I sighed at the end. It was just so beautiful. ( )
  mycutebookshelf | Dec 2, 2011 |
I absolutely adore Susan Elizabeth Phillips, she is one of my favorite authors ever! Okay, just had to say that first! Now, on with the review of one of my favorite books in the entire world...

Sugar Beth? Did I read that right? Sure did! How amazing is that name? When I saw this book I had gotten no further than the first sentence of the synopsis and I had already decided to buy it, I knew that with the leading character named Sugar Beth I would love this book.

Ain't She Sweet is one of those books that you finish, and instantly want to reread. This book has betrayal, lies, love, sex and everything in between. The total package okay?

You absolutely want to hate Sugar Beth, but you can't. Everyone makes mistakes and SB made more than her fair share! Trying to overcome her reputation as a 'mean girl' in the town she grew up in... Where her illegitimate half sister is now married to her high school sweetheart... She ends up housekeeping for her High School English teacher... The same guy she had rode out of town on a red hot rail...

I find myself not even being able to describe how immensely great this book is, because all the words I put together don't do it justice. In short- JUST READ THIS BOOK. ( )
  BookishBrunette | Apr 6, 2011 |

The girl everybody loves to hate has returned to the town she'd sworn to leave behind forever. As the rich, spoiled princess of Parrish, Mississippi, Sugar Beth Carey had broken hearts, ruined friendships, and destroyed reputations. But fifteen years have passed, and life has taught Sugar Beth its toughest lessons. Now she's come home -- broke, desperate, and too proud to show it.

The people of Parrish don't believe in forgive and forget. When the Seawillows, Sugar Beth's former girlfriends, get the chance to turn the tables on her, they don't hesitate. And Winnie Davis, Sugar Beth's most bitter enemy, intends to humiliate her in the worst possible way.

Then there's Colin Byrne. . . . Fifteen years earlier, Sugar Beth had tried to ruin his career. Now he's rich, powerful, and the owner of her old home. Even worse, this modern-day dark prince is planning exactly the sort of revenge best designed to bring a beautiful princess to her knees.

But none of them have reckoned on the unexpected strength of a woman who's learned survival the hard way.

While Sugar Beth's battered heart struggles to overcome old mistakes, Colin must choose between payback and love. Does the baddest girl in town deserve a second chance, or are some things beyond forgiving?

Ain't She Sweet? is a story of courage and redemption. . . of friendship and laughter. . . of love and the possibility of happily-ever-after.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061032085, Mass Market Paperback)

Sugar Beth Carey's come back to Parrish, Mississippi, and she's brought her reputation for wreaking havoc with her. She's broke, desperate, and too proud to show it, even with her old enemies lining up for a chance to get even. Her former girlfriends have their eyebrow pencils sharpened into lethal points. Winnie Davis, her longtime rival, is fully armed with the money, power, and prestige that had once been Sugar Beth's. But worst of all is Colin Byrne, the man whose career Sugar Beth had destroyed -- and not exactly accidentally.

Now Colin's a famous novelist living in Sugar Beth's old mansion, and this modern day dark prince is using his writer's imagination to figure out how to bring the town's beautiful former princess to her knees. But despite her sassy mouth, feisty spirit, and hardheaded ways, Sugar Beth's no longer the spoiled rich girl they all remember. No, now she's a woman to be reckoned with ... and a great big reckonin' is about to happen, not least of all for one dark prince who might -- just might -- be thinking about falling in love with the wickedest girl in town.

Ain't She Sweet? A funny, heartwarming, oh-so-spicy story of love, friendship, and the possibility of happily-ever-after.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:00 -0400)

Returning to her home town, Sugar Beth Carey discovers several old enemies living out the life she left behind, from the half-sister who married Sugar Beth's high school sweetheart to a former teacher who bought her childhood home.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,660,401 books! | Top bar: Always visible