The Nightmare by Lars Kepler

The Nightmare (2010)

by Lars Kepler

Series: Joona Linna (2)

English (19)  Dutch (4)  Swedish (2)  French (2)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  All (31)
The Nightmare:

This is a skilful Scandinavian police procedural, which deftly weaves personal peril with concerns of global significance and features a credible and interesting central detective. It's very much in the tradition of the best Wallander or Martin Beck mysteries, using what starts as a small investigation to shine a light on a much bigger picture.

The result is a long, complex and rewarding novel which I enjoyed far more than the author's previous book, The Hypnotist, and which you don't need to read first if you fancy picking up The Nightmare.

The title, hype and cover design suggest that The Nightmare might be some kind of slasher serial killer thriller. That's completely misleading. Instead it starts with a suicide, then a murder attempt and a couple fleeing from a determined killer. The action scenes don't dominate, however; instead the book is plot- and character-driven, and it knits together a raft of fascinating people and concepts.

(I go into more detail about the plot and characters over at:
http://murdermayhemandmore.wordpress.com/2014/12/20/the-nightmare-the-new-style-... )

The Nightmare runs to 500 pages, and it starts fairly slowly, but it so gripped me that I read it in one straight sitting, all through the night.

It isn't perfect, however. One of the encounters with a sick celebrity on his island hideaway comes over as just plain false, while the finale veered into James Bond territory somewhat. In places the translation stumbles; the choice of English word ain’t great and you can lose the meaning of the text and have to back-track. I wouldn't make any claim for great originality, either; most of these themes have been explored before (OK, maybe not the insomniac virtuoso and his method of going to sleep!)

But some of the characters are wonderful creations (look out for the young redhead: she's great), and plot kept me turning the pages through to its typically oblique Scandinavian end. Not quite Jo Nesbo, but well worth your while.

8/10
  RowenaHoseason | Jun 22, 2016 |
took a long time to read, but that's a good thing in my 'book'. story's plot skips touches many people, but I never felt lost in the action. ( )
  petrichor8 | Jun 6, 2016 |
This book reads well, is not predictable, has no obvious stereotypes. Good storyline without any turns and twists that are very unbelievable. In short: a nice read.
The only downpart of the book are the short chspters. I prefer them longer, with more story, that keeps me puzzling and thinking while I read.

Second read in December 2016. Same rating, same comment :-) Nice to be so consistent... ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | May 26, 2014 |
Well named. It was an absolute nightmare of a book. Some books you can't put down. This one I just couldn't pick up. No descriptions worth reading to my husband as I am apt to do. No character development whatsoever. Ridiculous storyline which led me to fantasize on various ways to destroy the book. It now resides in the trashcan. Because I just can't subject another living person to this 'Nightmare'. ( )
  Cavluvr | Feb 17, 2014 |
I received this book as a gift which was great because I would not have given it much notice otherwise. It is written by a pair of authors from Sweden and after slogging through The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo which bored me to death I was not in the mood to try another book with rave reviews outside the USA.
All books that require translation suffer stilted dialogue tenses being mixed and descriptions being muddled. But if you look past this, the reader I think, will find a fantastic mystery with likable characters. The book is 500 pages which is a bit long, but think of this book more like the old mysteries that take a long time to develop, rather than many books today which are written for the TV attention span. So everything gets figured out and wrapped up as fast as the reader needs it to. This book allows the characters to draw the correct conclusions in a slower manner. If you take the observations into consideration I think you will enjoy this book, I know I really enjoyed this book. ( )
  zmagic69 | Jan 3, 2014 |
En generaldirektør med ansvar for svensk våpeneksport, blir funnet hengt i sin leilighet på Østermalm. Samtidig blir en ung kvinne funnet druknet om bord på en fritidsbåt som driver rundt i Stockholms skjærgård. Et fotografi blir bindeledd mellom de to sakene, men politimann Joona Linna må jobbe hardt for å finne andre spor som belyser de uforklarlige dødsfallene. Han får god hjelp av Saga Bauer, og sammen retter de snart oppmerksomheten mot en problemløser og yrkesmorder. Sentralt står kynisk kriminalitet i kjølvannet av internasjonal våpeneksport.Bokens tittel er inspirert av fiolinvirtuosen Paganini. Ifølge myten fikk Paganini sine evner etter å ha inngått en kontrakt med djevelen. I Paganinikontrakten møter vi mennesker som stilles overfor grunnleggende moralske dilemmaer, og som forholder seg til dem på høyst ulik måte. Resultatet er en velskrevet, dramatisk krimroman med samfunnskritisk brodd og stor underholdningskraft.
added by KirstenLund | editwww.tanum.no (Mar 10, 2011)

Lars Keplerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Luijten, ClementineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Het is windstil als het grote plezierjacht in de lichte nacht drijvend wordt aangetroffen op de Jungfrufjärden in de zuidelijke scherenkust van Stockholm.

On a summer night, police recover the body of a young woman from a pleasure boat drifting around the Stockholm archipelago. The forensics team is sure she drowned. But the boat was afloat, with no trace of water on her body. The next day a man turns up dead in his apartment, hanging from a high lamp hook, with nothing near him to climb on. Joona Linna begins to piece together the two mysteries, but the logistics are a mere prelude to danger.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,784,155 books! | Top bar: Always visible