Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret by Judy…

Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret (1970)

by Judy Blume

English (145)  Piratical (1)  All languages (146)
Cute little read that I missed out on in my preteen years. I think if I had read this when I was 11/12, I would have given this 4 stars but as a married mother of three, those days of hoping for my period to come so I could feel grown up & wouldn't be the last of my friends to get it are long gone lol. *Dear 12 year old self, enjoy your burden free adolescence while you still can because you'll spend the next 30 odd years wishing you didn't have it.* ( )
  reigningstars | Dec 4, 2014 |
This is a great read for girls going through the every so daunting life stages of puberty, braces, etc... This is a great read for girls in particular because it tells the story that talks about learning lessons in life and teaches anyone, especially young teens in how to handle hard choices with a funny style to it. I definitely recommend this book, especially for those young teens out there seeking a companion to relate to. The author uses a unique style. Because this is a chapter book, there are no illustrations. The author uses a comprehensive writing style and a very obvious approach to her writing. ( )
  eoertl1 | Dec 3, 2014 |
I really love this book! The author captures the teenage angst of making friends, finding God, and growing up. With descriptive and humorous language, the text is so relatable. The writing flows, and the characters, especially Margaret, are extremely developed and believable. The plot handle the conflicts really well, and gave the reader a friend to think about life's changes with. The big idea is growing up and dealing with changes physically and emotionally. ( )
  tburfe1 | Dec 2, 2014 |
o Summary of content/review: This story follows the main character, Margaret, as she is faced with new struggles in her young life: moving, making new friends, acclimating to a new school, and boys.
o Evaluation: The first-person narrative writing of this text allows for an easy connection with readers, of all ages, specifically ones at the beginning of adolescence.
o Target audience: 6th-7th grade
o Connection to classroom: I would use this text when discussing coming of age throughout a story, and the obstacles and feelings young Margaret faces throughout the beginnings of her adolescence.

CC Standards: RL.7.2 Determine a theme or central idea of a text and analyze its development over the course of the text; provide an objective summary of the text.

Classification: Theme Bin 2: Coming of Age
  Nall0705 | Dec 1, 2014 |
I loved this book as a preteen, it made me feel like I was not alone. She was an only child that lived in NJ. Really relatable to me. ( )
  marymargaretworley | Nov 29, 2014 |
i love this book. i just started
added by valeli | editpersonal, valeli (Oct 6, 2010)

To my Mother
The Coleman Family
Are you there God? It's me Margaret.
Are you there God, it's me Margaret. Life is getting worse every day. I'm going to be the only one who doesn't get it. I know it God. Just like I'm the only one without a religion. Why can't you help me?
"Oh, you're still flat," Nancy laughed.
"Not exactly," I said, pretending to be very cool. "I'm small-boned is all."

Are you there, God? It's me, Margaret, again.

Have you thought about it? My growing, I mean. I've got a bra now. It would be nice if I had something to put in it.

Margaret is sure she's not normal. Everything seems to be happening so slowly. It's just too embarrassing to tallk about it to anyone - even her best friends. So Margaret talks to God in the hope that maybe he can speed things up a bit.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440404193, Paperback)

If anyone tried to determine the most common rite of passage for preteen girls in North America, a girl's first reading of Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret would rank near the top of the list. Judy Blume and her character Margaret Simon were the first to say out loud (and in a book even) that it is normal for girls to wonder when they are ever going to fill out their training bras. Puberty is a curious and annoying time. Girls' bodies begin to do freakish things--or, as in Margaret's case, they don't do freakish things nearly as fast as girls wish they would. Adolescents are often so relieved to discover that someone understands their body-angst that they miss one of the book's deeper explorations: a young person's relationship with God. Margaret has a very private relationship with God, and it's only after she moves to New Jersey and hangs out with a new friend that she discovers that it might be weird to talk to God without a priest or a rabbi to mediate. Margaret just wants to fit in! Who is God, and where is He when she needs Him? She begins to look into the cups of her training bra for answers ...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:41:59 -0400)

Faced with the difficulties of growing up and choosing a religion, a twelve-year-old girl talks over her problems with her own private God.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,375,216 books! | Top bar: Always visible