Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret by Judy…

Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret (1970)

by Judy Blume

English (147)  Piratical (1)  All languages (148)
I enjoyed this book for a couple of reasons. The writing is addresses some controversial topics such as religion, but is engaging and helpful for a young teen. The characters are relatable for young women. Overall, the big idea could be that being a young woman has it's challenges, but friendships and family help. ( )
  mzellh1 | Mar 24, 2015 |
This realistic fiction tale is great for kids of mixed backgrounds. It tells the story of a young girl trying to figure out what she believes of relgigion. this could be a great book for a kid who is going through something similar.
  harleybrenton | Mar 12, 2015 |
Margret is a teenager in the sixth grade. She is trying to find herself. She has a relationship with God, but doesn't want anyone to know. She speaks to him when she is in trouble. Margret is having trouble deciding what religion she wants to belong to. Her maternal grandparents pressure her about choosing a religion. She is also dealing with changes in body, buying bras, boys and getting her period. She is always asking God to help her grow up faster. This story is really realistic. I'm sure most teenage girls can relate to the story. ( )
  ccanizales | Jan 27, 2015 |
Cute little read that I missed out on in my preteen years. I think if I had read this when I was 11/12, I would have given this 4 stars but as a married mother of three, those days of hoping for my period to come so I could feel grown up & wouldn't be the last of my friends to get it are long gone lol. *Dear 12 year old self, enjoy your burden free adolescence while you still can because you'll spend the next 30 odd years wishing you didn't have it.* ( )
  reigningstars | Dec 4, 2014 |
This is a great read for girls going through the every so daunting life stages of puberty, braces, etc... This is a great read for girls in particular because it tells the story that talks about learning lessons in life and teaches anyone, especially young teens in how to handle hard choices with a funny style to it. I definitely recommend this book, especially for those young teens out there seeking a companion to relate to. The author uses a unique style. Because this is a chapter book, there are no illustrations. The author uses a comprehensive writing style and a very obvious approach to her writing. ( )
  eoertl1 | Dec 3, 2014 |
i love this book. i just started
added by valeli | editpersonal, valeli (Oct 6, 2010)

To my Mother
The Coleman Family
Are you there God? It's me Margaret.
Are you there God, it's me Margaret. Life is getting worse every day. I'm going to be the only one who doesn't get it. I know it God. Just like I'm the only one without a religion. Why can't you help me?
"Oh, you're still flat," Nancy laughed.
"Not exactly," I said, pretending to be very cool. "I'm small-boned is all."

Are you there, God? It's me, Margaret, again.

Have you thought about it? My growing, I mean. I've got a bra now. It would be nice if I had something to put in it.

Margaret is sure she's not normal. Everything seems to be happening so slowly. It's just too embarrassing to tallk about it to anyone - even her best friends. So Margaret talks to God in the hope that maybe he can speed things up a bit.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440404193, Paperback)

If anyone tried to determine the most common rite of passage for preteen girls in North America, a girl's first reading of Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret would rank near the top of the list. Judy Blume and her character Margaret Simon were the first to say out loud (and in a book even) that it is normal for girls to wonder when they are ever going to fill out their training bras. Puberty is a curious and annoying time. Girls' bodies begin to do freakish things--or, as in Margaret's case, they don't do freakish things nearly as fast as girls wish they would. Adolescents are often so relieved to discover that someone understands their body-angst that they miss one of the book's deeper explorations: a young person's relationship with God. Margaret has a very private relationship with God, and it's only after she moves to New Jersey and hangs out with a new friend that she discovers that it might be weird to talk to God without a priest or a rabbi to mediate. Margaret just wants to fit in! Who is God, and where is He when she needs Him? She begins to look into the cups of her training bra for answers ...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:41:59 -0400)

Faced with the difficulties of growing up and choosing a religion, a twelve-year-old girl talks over her problems with her own private God.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,177,810 books! | Top bar: Always visible