Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret by Judy…

Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret (1970)

by Judy Blume

English (151)  Piratical (1)  All languages (152)
Read circa 1997; re-read July 2015. I think it might have been an updated edition, and not just the cover - I remember there being a description of pads and belts in the version I read when I was younger, but in this one, it's just regular sanitary napkins that stick. Anyway, it doesn't seem too terribly dated. Pre-teens are still concerned with appearances and fitting in and friendships. Margaret's preoccupation with religion might set her apart, but with more and more mixed-religion (or no-religion) families, her conundrum may apply to more people than ever. The short sentences make this story accessible to younger readers.

Quotes

My mother's always telling me about when she was a girl. It's supposed to make me feel that she understands everything. (24)

I just want to be normal....Please...let me be like everybody else. (100-101) ( )
  JennyArch | Jul 24, 2015 |
Overall, I definitely enjoyed this novel because it brought back some memories of middle school and growing up. In this book, Margaret, a 7th grader, moves to a new town right before junior high starts. She begins to meet friends and they all begin to grow up and experience pre-adolescence changes emotionally, socially, and physically. My favorite part about the book was the humor used. Judy Blume used a lot of humor to depict the girls and their secret club. For example, the club had a special rule where they each had to bring a different list each week of which boys they liked. I also enjoyed how relatable the characters were. Throughout the story, Margaret was always wondering about different things such as religion, boys, when she was going to get her period, bras, etc. which are all things middle school girls start to wonder about. I feel like this novel would be extremely relatable to middle school girls and help them feel as if they weren’t alone. Finally, I enjoyed the overall message of the story. Essentially, the overall message of the story was that it’s ok to have a lot of questions about life and all of the changes that occur during it, which is great because it leaves students with a sense of hope and reassurance as they grow up.
I would recommend this novel for middle school girls because it is definitely something they can personally relate to and find humorous at times. ( )
  kbork1 | May 4, 2015 |
Summary: This is a classic coming of age story that has the main character Margaret asking questions about growing up and the magical time of puberty. She has just moved and is trying to fit in and make new friends in the most awkward time of a young girls life.

Personal connection: My mother gave me this book to read growing up, and I always like the story and found it to be informative of that weird time in a young girls life.

Class use: Use this book in health class to help girls understand that the changes that they are feeling are completely normal. This could be a better way of learning instead of being lectured and being shown diagrams. ( )
  allisonpollack | Apr 30, 2015 |
I read this book as a pre-teen, and then again later in life. I think this book is a great addition to a classroom library for the older elementary-middle school grades. It connects with most girls at a time that is an incredibly hard and confusing part of life, in addition it explores a girl making choices regarding religion and other topics. As a teenage girl, it is important to experience these things and decisions, but it is equally important to have a book/character that will connect with girls to help them through...perfect representation of bibliotherapy. ( )
  kitbraddick | Apr 20, 2015 |
I enjoyed this book for a couple of reasons. The writing is addresses some controversial topics such as religion, but is engaging and helpful for a young teen. The characters are relatable for young women. Overall, the big idea could be that being a young woman has it's challenges, but friendships and family help. ( )
  mzellh1 | Mar 24, 2015 |
i love this book. i just started
added by valeli | editpersonal, valeli (Oct 6, 2010)

To my Mother
The Coleman Family
Are you there God? It's me Margaret.
Are you there God, it's me Margaret. Life is getting worse every day. I'm going to be the only one who doesn't get it. I know it God. Just like I'm the only one without a religion. Why can't you help me?
"Oh, you're still flat," Nancy laughed.
"Not exactly," I said, pretending to be very cool. "I'm small-boned is all."

Are you there, God? It's me, Margaret, again.

Have you thought about it? My growing, I mean. I've got a bra now. It would be nice if I had something to put in it.

Margaret is sure she's not normal. Everything seems to be happening so slowly. It's just too embarrassing to tallk about it to anyone - even her best friends. So Margaret talks to God in the hope that maybe he can speed things up a bit.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440404193, Paperback)

If anyone tried to determine the most common rite of passage for preteen girls in North America, a girl's first reading of Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret would rank near the top of the list. Judy Blume and her character Margaret Simon were the first to say out loud (and in a book even) that it is normal for girls to wonder when they are ever going to fill out their training bras. Puberty is a curious and annoying time. Girls' bodies begin to do freakish things--or, as in Margaret's case, they don't do freakish things nearly as fast as girls wish they would. Adolescents are often so relieved to discover that someone understands their body-angst that they miss one of the book's deeper explorations: a young person's relationship with God. Margaret has a very private relationship with God, and it's only after she moves to New Jersey and hangs out with a new friend that she discovers that it might be weird to talk to God without a priest or a rabbi to mediate. Margaret just wants to fit in! Who is God, and where is He when she needs Him? She begins to look into the cups of her training bra for answers ...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:48 -0400)

Faced with the difficulties of growing up and choosing a religion, a twelve-year-old girl talks over her problems with her own private God.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,501,245 books! | Top bar: Always visible