Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret by Judy…

Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret (1970)

by Judy Blume

4,820156959 (3.86)93

English (154)  Piratical (1)  All languages (155)
I read a Withdrawn library copy of this when I was about thirteen and didn't understand what was going on half the time? Why did you need a belt for your sanitary... business? And what in god's name was a training bra? And who in god's name was excited about their periods? I am not equipped to judge what this book was in its context, but out of context, it was sweet, but largely bland. ( )
  thebookmagpie | Jan 30, 2016 |
  hoegbottom | Jan 30, 2016 |
  hoegbottom | Jan 30, 2016 |
Keep in mind that I'm no longer an 11/12-year-old girl, so I can't rate this accurately anymore. As a child, I didn't have quite the same issues as Margaret, but I love how true her reactions are for her. Even with different problems, I can/could relate to having frustrations and questions, and I love her attempts to find answers. ( )
  Connie-D | Jan 17, 2016 |
I can't believe I never read this! I really enjoyed it :) ( )
  TerriS | Jan 17, 2016 |
i love this book. i just started
added by valeli | editpersonal, valeli (Oct 6, 2010)

To my Mother
The Coleman Family
Are you there God? It's me Margaret.
Are you there God, it's me Margaret. Life is getting worse every day. I'm going to be the only one who doesn't get it. I know it God. Just like I'm the only one without a religion. Why can't you help me?
"Oh, you're still flat," Nancy laughed.
"Not exactly," I said, pretending to be very cool. "I'm small-boned is all."

Are you there, God? It's me, Margaret, again.

Have you thought about it? My growing, I mean. I've got a bra now. It would be nice if I had something to put in it.

Margaret is sure she's not normal. Everything seems to be happening so slowly. It's just too embarrassing to tallk about it to anyone - even her best friends. So Margaret talks to God in the hope that maybe he can speed things up a bit.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440404193, Paperback)

If anyone tried to determine the most common rite of passage for preteen girls in North America, a girl's first reading of Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret would rank near the top of the list. Judy Blume and her character Margaret Simon were the first to say out loud (and in a book even) that it is normal for girls to wonder when they are ever going to fill out their training bras. Puberty is a curious and annoying time. Girls' bodies begin to do freakish things--or, as in Margaret's case, they don't do freakish things nearly as fast as girls wish they would. Adolescents are often so relieved to discover that someone understands their body-angst that they miss one of the book's deeper explorations: a young person's relationship with God. Margaret has a very private relationship with God, and it's only after she moves to New Jersey and hangs out with a new friend that she discovers that it might be weird to talk to God without a priest or a rabbi to mediate. Margaret just wants to fit in! Who is God, and where is He when she needs Him? She begins to look into the cups of her training bra for answers ...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:48 -0400)

Faced with the difficulties of growing up and choosing a religion, a twelve-year-old girl talks over her problems with her own private God.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,119,183 books! | Top bar: Always visible