Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret.…

Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret. (original 1970; edition 2010)

by Judy Blume

Member:karmabodhi
Title:Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret.
Authors:Judy Blume
Info:Delacorte Books for Young Readers (2010), Edition: 1, Paperback, 160 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:childrens book, childrens literature, childrens classic

Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret by Judy Blume (1970)

Eleven by Lauren Myracle (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: With humor and insight, both of these girl-pleasing novels highlight concerns with family, friends and school. Margaret also looks at physical development, as well as religion.

Another book I read a lot as a kid and wanted to re-read for Banned Books Week. This one also seemed a little flat, but I still loved it and think kids these days would still love it, even though it’s pretty dated. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Dec 26, 2016 |
This is easily the best book i've assessed all semester. This book accurately describes being a teenager without a true identity to any religion. As society continues to progress, people are straying further and further away from traditional religions and their practices. Like the main character, many kids have parents with different religious believes so this book is relatable to them. The language used by Blume is contemporary, which furthers appeals to students interests. While God is in the title, the books isn't about a particular religion and religion is not the focus. The author message is about finding comfortability with oneself, which exemplifies my text set and many other books i've assessed. I think this is another great example of a book that tastefully addresses a topic that many people feel uncomfortable talking about. ( )
  Kacie11 | Dec 3, 2016 |
This is a great book for girls from 9-13. Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret takes a pretty realistic take on what it's like to be a sixth-grade girl. The main character Margaret Simon moves from New York City to the New Jersey suburbs. Margaret gets caught up into a group of sixth-grade girls who are about all the stuff that encompasses most teen girl minds like popularity, friendships, bras, boys, and body figures to name a few. Margaret also has to deal with trying to figure out which religion she should be, if any; she is born to a Christian mom and Jewish dad which makes life complicated at times. As Margaret tries to navigate through life she has honest and truthful one-sided conversations with God trying to figure it all out.

Comprehensive Strategy: This book is very relatable to girls. This book would be a great read for girls who are having a hard time fitting in, making friends, moving, religion, just growing up in general. While reading student can journal about how it relates to their personal life. ( )
  kafreehill | Dec 3, 2016 |
There are a lot of American authors that I haven’t read, Judy Blume being one. So I decided to read a few of her books written for younger children, the ones my peers look back upon with nostalgia. I figured Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret was probably the best one to read first.

It’s quite a different experience, reading this book as an adult, but it evokes memories of my childhood days. The time spent in the school yard, whispering with my girlfriends about periods and breasts and which boy was the cutest in the class. It’s as though Blume eavesdropped on our conversation and chronicled it in this book.

Are You There God? is a little book with a timeless story. There isn’t much in this novel that a young girl wouldn’t be able to relate with - Margaret’s move to a new town, making new friends, wanting very much to grow up and trying to figure out which religion she belongs to, there’s something for everyone.

Margaret moved from New York City to a house in the suburbs of New Jersery, where she becomes quick friends with Nancy, her neighbour. Margaret, a child of a Jewish father and a Christian mother, is aware of the tension this causes in her family and decides, as an experiment, to figure out which religion works for her. Talking to her own idea of God, Margaret shares her deepest desires and feelings about moving and growing up in general.

Judy Blume’s narrative is easy flowing and engaging, while not preachy, it brings up a lot of issues that, as adults, we take for granted the experiences of children. Margaret is an observant and endearing protagonist, I couldn’t help but love her. While touching on some tough issues, Are You There God? is not without humour; I found myself laughing at a lot of the scenes that came up, especially when Margaret and her friends were together.

This is a great story for any preteen girl, it’s vulnerable and relevant and could be used as a discussion book for parents and children.
  iShanella | Dec 2, 2016 |
New Jersey? Where did they get New Jersey? Good job, Judy Blume. You made the characters believable and I really enjoyed Margaret and her adventure through sixth grade. My favorite part of this book is when during the sixth grade play, a kindergartener pees his pants. It was hilarious! I enjoyed reading this book and I think other kids (especially girls) would really enjoy reading this book as well. ( )
  Emmalee6871 | Oct 26, 2016 |
i love this book. i just started
added by valeli | editpersonal, valeli (Oct 6, 2010)

To my Mother
The Coleman Family
Are you there God? It's me Margaret.
Are you there God, it's me Margaret. Life is getting worse every day. I'm going to be the only one who doesn't get it. I know it God. Just like I'm the only one without a religion. Why can't you help me?
"Oh, you're still flat," Nancy laughed.
"Not exactly," I said, pretending to be very cool. "I'm small-boned is all."

Are you there, God? It's me, Margaret, again.

Have you thought about it? My growing, I mean. I've got a bra now. It would be nice if I had something to put in it.

Margaret is sure she's not normal. Everything seems to be happening so slowly. It's just too embarrassing to tallk about it to anyone - even her best friends. So Margaret talks to God in the hope that maybe he can speed things up a bit.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440404193, Paperback)

If anyone tried to determine the most common rite of passage for preteen girls in North America, a girl's first reading of Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret would rank near the top of the list. Judy Blume and her character Margaret Simon were the first to say out loud (and in a book even) that it is normal for girls to wonder when they are ever going to fill out their training bras. Puberty is a curious and annoying time. Girls' bodies begin to do freakish things--or, as in Margaret's case, they don't do freakish things nearly as fast as girls wish they would. Adolescents are often so relieved to discover that someone understands their body-angst that they miss one of the book's deeper explorations: a young person's relationship with God. Margaret has a very private relationship with God, and it's only after she moves to New Jersey and hangs out with a new friend that she discovers that it might be weird to talk to God without a priest or a rabbi to mediate. Margaret just wants to fit in! Who is God, and where is He when she needs Him? She begins to look into the cups of her training bra for answers ...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:48 -0400)

Faced with the difficulties of growing up and choosing a religion, a twelve-year-old girl talks over her problems with her own private God.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,632,227 books! | Top bar: Always visible