Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret.…

Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret. (original 1970; edition 2010)

by Judy Blume

Member:karmabodhi
Title:Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret.
Authors:Judy Blume
Info:Delacorte Books for Young Readers (2010), Edition: 1, Paperback, 160 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:childrens book, childrens literature, childrens classic

Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret by Judy Blume (1970)

Recently added byRoxiePoxie4, JohnsonXnSchool, Balailey, private library, douglas_trueman, strongasanoak

This book was cute. It is realistic fiction. Judy Blume is one of my favorite authors. ( )
  stephanie.dicesare.7 | Jun 25, 2014 |
What didn't I learn from this book? Sheesh -- for a generation of girls raised in between the second and third waves of feminism, [author: Judy Blume] was nothing short of a Godsend. She answered all of the questions I was too afraid to ask, and my Baby Boomer mother was too self-involved to worry about what I was reading or what messages were therein contained. To say that she captured the zeitgeist of my generation is an understatement. Or maybe that's nostalgia talking. It has been -- gasp! -- 26 years since I read this book last...

I will say that the knowledge in the book -- while a bit outdated (with the "belts" and all) -- came in handy in later years when I found myself in a hospital after giving birth and the nurse handed me a belt and a sanitary napkin... if not for Blume, perhaps I'd have looked like an idiot in addition to feeling like one? :) ( )
  Seven.Stories.Press | Jun 13, 2014 |
Cool book about a girl who finally starts to grow up ( )
  Rm10 | May 20, 2014 |
I liked "Blubber" better, but this book was more plausible. I couldn't remember if I had ever read this one when I was little or not. But even if I did, at least now I can appreciate it better.

It's about a girl who just moved to New Jersey. She's got split-religion parents (one Christian, one Jewish) but is being raised as "neutral", which I could identify with. Despite this, she talks to God in the form of diary entries/letters asking for strength to handle things in her life. And for her year-long independent project (at ninth grade? I don't think so), she's studying various church worships.

The other big rub is her new friends, which are classic "Queen Bee/Wanna-Be"s. They're so concerned about being mature, the queen makes them grow up too fast (recording what boys they like, getting bras they don't need, slumber parties with seven minutes in heaven). Given Margaret's personality, she asks God to speed her development along. The conflicts culminate when her twenty-year estranged grandparents want to visit, and remind the family why they were estranged in the first place, which causes Margaret to lose her "faith(?)" in God.

The reason I'm summarizing it like this is because all the pieces work beautifully. In harmony, almost. There's the conflict of Margaret's religion, with ties into her clique, which ties into her faith, and it takes place in the frame of time, while continuing development of the character. It all fits together so nicely. Everything works like a piece of music. ( )
  theWallflower | Apr 9, 2014 |
I can't exactly remember why this book was on my to-read list. I think I saw it on one of the unshelved.com bookclub notes and thought it was a cool premise.

I really wasn't expecting how old fashioned it was.
It was apparently first published in 1970.

I still thought it was a very cute short story. Most of the characters had depth. I can actually related it to some of the few school memories I still have.

I don't think I know anyone I would recommend it to, but its an insight into young girls (which sounds a little creepy) that I wasn't expecting. I'm betting its pretty outdated though. ( )
  halkeye | Feb 6, 2014 |
i love this book. i just started
added by valeli | editpersonal, valeli (Oct 6, 2010)

To my Mother
The Coleman Family
Are you there God? It's me Margaret.
Are you there God, it's me Margaret. Life is getting worse every day. I'm going to be the only one who doesn't get it. I know it God. Just like I'm the only one without a religion. Why can't you help me?
"Oh, you're still flat," Nancy laughed.
"Not exactly," I said, pretending to be very cool. "I'm small-boned is all."

Are you there, God? It's me, Margaret, again.

Have you thought about it? My growing, I mean. I've got a bra now. It would be nice if I had something to put in it.

Margaret is sure she's not normal. Everything seems to be happening so slowly. It's just too embarrassing to tallk about it to anyone - even her best friends. So Margaret talks to God in the hope that maybe he can speed things up a bit.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440404193, Paperback)

If anyone tried to determine the most common rite of passage for preteen girls in North America, a girl's first reading of Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret would rank near the top of the list. Judy Blume and her character Margaret Simon were the first to say out loud (and in a book even) that it is normal for girls to wonder when they are ever going to fill out their training bras. Puberty is a curious and annoying time. Girls' bodies begin to do freakish things--or, as in Margaret's case, they don't do freakish things nearly as fast as girls wish they would. Adolescents are often so relieved to discover that someone understands their body-angst that they miss one of the book's deeper explorations: a young person's relationship with God. Margaret has a very private relationship with God, and it's only after she moves to New Jersey and hangs out with a new friend that she discovers that it might be weird to talk to God without a priest or a rabbi to mediate. Margaret just wants to fit in! Who is God, and where is He when she needs Him? She begins to look into the cups of her training bra for answers ...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:41:59 -0400)

Faced with the difficulties of growing up and choosing a religion, a twelve-year-old girl talks over her problems with her own private God.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,671,891 books! | Top bar: Always visible