Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret.…

Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret. (original 1970; edition 2010)

by Judy Blume

Member:karmabodhi
Title:Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret.
Authors:Judy Blume
Info:Delacorte Books for Young Readers (2010), Edition: 1, Paperback, 160 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:childrens book, childrens literature, childrens classic

Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret by Judy Blume (1970)

Eleven by Lauren Myracle (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: With humor and insight, both of these girl-pleasing novels highlight concerns with family, friends and school. Margaret also looks at physical development, as well as religion.

"Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret" is a great book about a young girl going through moving, puberty and finding religion. I liked that Margaret connects to many readers her age to help them get through the difficult time. Margaret moves to New Jersey and finds friends that create a girls club. The club talks about growing boobs, getting their periods and many other aspects of middle school life, such as boys. As everyone is beginning puberty, Margaret begins to ask God when she will grow. Margaret finds herself talking to God often but she doesn't know who's God she is talking to. As she struggles with finding a religion she believes in, she is also begging to enter into womanhood. The story has a strong meaning that will help girls Margaret's age read and connect to her story. I would recommend this story to girls entering into puberty along with parents of girls entering into puberty. I also enjoyed the language because it is clear but also uses terms that would be used by a pre teenage girl. The book was easy to read and had a clear message. The big idea of the book is for girls going through puberty and it is that everyone goes through it and have the same questions about it that Margaret does. ( )
  mmilde1 | Mar 6, 2017 |
I would use this book as an independent read for 5th grade to 8th grade because the characters are around the same age along with going through the same thought process as the characters within the book.
  SaraGraviss | Feb 14, 2017 |
Another book I read a lot as a kid and wanted to re-read for Banned Books Week. This one also seemed a little flat, but I still loved it and think kids these days would still love it, even though it’s pretty dated. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Dec 26, 2016 |
This is easily the best book i've assessed all semester. This book accurately describes being a teenager without a true identity to any religion. As society continues to progress, people are straying further and further away from traditional religions and their practices. Like the main character, many kids have parents with different religious believes so this book is relatable to them. The language used by Blume is contemporary, which furthers appeals to students interests. While God is in the title, the books isn't about a particular religion and religion is not the focus. The author message is about finding comfortability with oneself, which exemplifies my text set and many other books i've assessed. I think this is another great example of a book that tastefully addresses a topic that many people feel uncomfortable talking about. ( )
  Kacie11 | Dec 3, 2016 |
This is a great book for girls from 9-13. Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret takes a pretty realistic take on what it's like to be a sixth-grade girl. The main character Margaret Simon moves from New York City to the New Jersey suburbs. Margaret gets caught up into a group of sixth-grade girls who are about all the stuff that encompasses most teen girl minds like popularity, friendships, bras, boys, and body figures to name a few. Margaret also has to deal with trying to figure out which religion she should be, if any; she is born to a Christian mom and Jewish dad which makes life complicated at times. As Margaret tries to navigate through life she has honest and truthful one-sided conversations with God trying to figure it all out.

Comprehensive Strategy: This book is very relatable to girls. This book would be a great read for girls who are having a hard time fitting in, making friends, moving, religion, just growing up in general. While reading student can journal about how it relates to their personal life. ( )
  kafreehill | Dec 3, 2016 |
i love this book. i just started
added by valeli | editpersonal, valeli (Oct 6, 2010)

To my Mother
The Coleman Family
Are you there God? It's me Margaret.
Are you there God, it's me Margaret. Life is getting worse every day. I'm going to be the only one who doesn't get it. I know it God. Just like I'm the only one without a religion. Why can't you help me?
"Oh, you're still flat," Nancy laughed.
"Not exactly," I said, pretending to be very cool. "I'm small-boned is all."

Are you there, God? It's me, Margaret, again.

Have you thought about it? My growing, I mean. I've got a bra now. It would be nice if I had something to put in it.

Margaret is sure she's not normal. Everything seems to be happening so slowly. It's just too embarrassing to tallk about it to anyone - even her best friends. So Margaret talks to God in the hope that maybe he can speed things up a bit.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440404193, Paperback)

If anyone tried to determine the most common rite of passage for preteen girls in North America, a girl's first reading of Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret would rank near the top of the list. Judy Blume and her character Margaret Simon were the first to say out loud (and in a book even) that it is normal for girls to wonder when they are ever going to fill out their training bras. Puberty is a curious and annoying time. Girls' bodies begin to do freakish things--or, as in Margaret's case, they don't do freakish things nearly as fast as girls wish they would. Adolescents are often so relieved to discover that someone understands their body-angst that they miss one of the book's deeper explorations: a young person's relationship with God. Margaret has a very private relationship with God, and it's only after she moves to New Jersey and hangs out with a new friend that she discovers that it might be weird to talk to God without a priest or a rabbi to mediate. Margaret just wants to fit in! Who is God, and where is He when she needs Him? She begins to look into the cups of her training bra for answers ...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:48 -0400)

Faced with the difficulties of growing up and choosing a religion, a twelve-year-old girl talks over her problems with her own private God.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,263,355 books! | Top bar: Always visible