Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret.…

Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret. (original 1970; edition 2010)

by Judy Blume

Member:karmabodhi
Title:Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret.
Authors:Judy Blume
Info:Delacorte Books for Young Readers (2010), Edition: 1, Paperback, 160 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:childrens book, childrens literature, childrens classic

Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret by Judy Blume (1970)

English (159)  Piratical (1)  All languages (160)
Its all about a phase of girl's life when she sets her foot from childhood to teens. That phase is beautifully put together. The thoughts, the doubts, the arrogance etc are completely in sync with any girl's life i guess.
It was a good read :) ( )
  PallaviSharma | May 9, 2016 |
This was one of my favorite books growing up. It gave me a lot of insight to what its like to finally become a teenager. Although there re religious undertones, i would encourage students to read this book outside of the classroom. Its a great coming of age story. Blume makes the reader feel comfortable when reading and margret becomes like a friend. This book is great for young girls in middle school. Blumes books are real. they tell real stories and she makes them all relatable in some way. ( )
  lsavar3 | Apr 21, 2016 |
Summary: The main conflict in this book is Margaret trying to decide what religion fits her best. She goes to different churches and temples to decide if she Judaism, Christianity, or Catholicism fit her the best. In addition to that, it deals with problems that relate to growing up and hitting puberty: menstruation, friendships, crushes, and family.

Personal Reactions: I read this book when I was 12 and I loved it then just as much as I love it now. I think it is a book that every girl should read, and I'm going to buy it for my nieces when they get old enough. This book was really relatable to me when I was younger, and it helped me to know that I'm not alone.

Classroom Extensions:
1. This book would connect well with the sex ed talk that schools normally give in the 5th grade. ( )
  emcnally | Mar 15, 2016 |
I read a Withdrawn library copy of this when I was about thirteen and didn't understand what was going on half the time? Why did you need a belt for your sanitary... business? And what in god's name was a training bra? And who in god's name was excited about their periods? I am not equipped to judge what this book was in its context, but out of context, it was sweet, but largely bland. ( )
  thebookmagpie | Mar 13, 2016 |
I was reminded about something in this book (the mom sniffing her armpits when it gets hot) and decided to give it a nostalgia read 30 years after I read it the first time. It's amazing how timeless Judy Blume's books are. Her books were a rite of passage and if the current generation of Margarets aren't reading them, God help our civilization. ( )
  TeeMc | Mar 11, 2016 |
i love this book. i just started
added by valeli | editpersonal, valeli (Oct 6, 2010)

To my Mother
The Coleman Family
Are you there God? It's me Margaret.
Are you there God, it's me Margaret. Life is getting worse every day. I'm going to be the only one who doesn't get it. I know it God. Just like I'm the only one without a religion. Why can't you help me?
"Oh, you're still flat," Nancy laughed.
"Not exactly," I said, pretending to be very cool. "I'm small-boned is all."

Are you there, God? It's me, Margaret, again.

Have you thought about it? My growing, I mean. I've got a bra now. It would be nice if I had something to put in it.

Margaret is sure she's not normal. Everything seems to be happening so slowly. It's just too embarrassing to tallk about it to anyone - even her best friends. So Margaret talks to God in the hope that maybe he can speed things up a bit.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440404193, Paperback)

If anyone tried to determine the most common rite of passage for preteen girls in North America, a girl's first reading of Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret would rank near the top of the list. Judy Blume and her character Margaret Simon were the first to say out loud (and in a book even) that it is normal for girls to wonder when they are ever going to fill out their training bras. Puberty is a curious and annoying time. Girls' bodies begin to do freakish things--or, as in Margaret's case, they don't do freakish things nearly as fast as girls wish they would. Adolescents are often so relieved to discover that someone understands their body-angst that they miss one of the book's deeper explorations: a young person's relationship with God. Margaret has a very private relationship with God, and it's only after she moves to New Jersey and hangs out with a new friend that she discovers that it might be weird to talk to God without a priest or a rabbi to mediate. Margaret just wants to fit in! Who is God, and where is He when she needs Him? She begins to look into the cups of her training bra for answers ...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:48 -0400)

Faced with the difficulties of growing up and choosing a religion, a twelve-year-old girl talks over her problems with her own private God.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,805,577 books! | Top bar: Always visible