Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret.…

Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret. (original 1970; edition 2010)

by Judy Blume

Title:Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret.
Authors:Judy Blume
Info:Delacorte Books for Young Readers (2010), Edition: 1, Paperback, 160 pages
Tags:childrens book, childrens literature, childrens classic

Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret by Judy Blume (1970)

English (167)  Piratical (1)  All languages (168)
4 stars ( )
  JennysBookBag.com | Sep 28, 2016 |
Are you there God? It's me Margaret is about a young girl in sixth grade who has grown up without a relationship with religion. Margaret's mother is Christian while her father is Jewish, and this book explores her search for a single religion. Aside from religion Margaret faces things any girl in 6th grade is likely to experience. For example, she buys her first bra, getting her first period, experiencing puberty in general, and liking boys. Very good book for young girls. ( )
  MikalaTeague | Sep 21, 2016 |
If you look through my previously read books, you won't find any Judy Blume. This omission is not because I truly haven't read Blume, but because it has been so many years and I'm not entirely sure which books of hers I did read. I know I read several from the Fudge series, but did I read them all? If not, which ones did I read? I'm pretty sure I read some of her other works, but so many of the titles sound familiar and I know I didn't read that many.

Recently, I was thinking of Blume and figured it was high time my grown-up self read something of hers. Would my adult perspective make her stories any less earth shattering? Nostalgia would surely boost my feelings for something I'd read before, so I decided to try one I knew I hadn't ever read. I went with the classic Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret.

If I was the person I am now back in elementary school, I so would've read this book. Back then, however, I had little interest in reading fiction books (shocking, isn't it?). I wasn't as much of a reader then, either, but what I did read was largely Strange, But True Facts and Garfield and World Records and... And surely I was not going to read a “girl's book.” (Thank you society for filling young minds with such stupid concepts.)

Despite having never read this book, nostalgia took over. Totally. There's a feel to these books (is it just Blume or all children's books of the era?) that is unique. Regardless of the novel's subject matter, I couldn't help but think about the Challenger and be filled with a desire to watch Who's the Boss?. There's a magic to these stories that probably would be lost on someone not born in the seventies or eighties. (I have a feeling kids in the nineties were still collectively reading Blume, but it's only a feeling. Can anyone confirm or deny?) Sure, there's a universal appeal that I'm sure still entices some young readers, but I doubt most grade school libraries are constantly running out of Blume novels like they were once upon a time.

Aside from the nostalgia, I largely enjoyed this story, but it did not impress me as much as I had hoped it would. Frankly, I felt the story was cut short. Brevity is a necessity in these stories, but this one had such a slow build up and then it was over. Also, it's all rather shallow. The characters are shallow. The plot is shallow. The philosophy is shallow, as is the religion. This is all rather a tame approach to the serious problems of a upper-middle class white girl in America. But you know what? So be it. It's Judy effin Blume.
  chrisblocker | Aug 24, 2016 |
I read a Withdrawn library copy of this when I was about thirteen and didn't understand what was going on half the time? Why did you need a belt for your sanitary... business? And what in god's name was a training bra? And who in god's name was excited about their periods? I am not equipped to judge what this book was in its context, but out of context, it was sweet, but largely bland. ( )
  thebookmagpie | Aug 7, 2016 |
Another book I didn't read as a child and am finally getting around to. I wish I had read it when I was younger because maybe I would have liked it more. I can see where it would really speak to young girls just starting down that road of wanting to fit in with everyone and yet never quite feeling they do. A good book to help start a conversation with a pre/early teen about a lot of touchy issues. (Puberty, peer pressure, self-esteem, gossip, being kind) ( )
  aclaybasket13 | Jul 29, 2016 |
i love this book. i just started
added by valeli | editpersonal, valeli (Oct 6, 2010)
To my Mother
The Coleman Family
Are you there God? It's me Margaret.
Are you there God, it's me Margaret. Life is getting worse every day. I'm going to be the only one who doesn't get it. I know it God. Just like I'm the only one without a religion. Why can't you help me?
"Oh, you're still flat," Nancy laughed.
"Not exactly," I said, pretending to be very cool. "I'm small-boned is all."

Are you there, God? It's me, Margaret, again.

Have you thought about it? My growing, I mean. I've got a bra now. It would be nice if I had something to put in it.

Margaret is sure she's not normal. Everything seems to be happening so slowly. It's just too embarrassing to tallk about it to anyone - even her best friends. So Margaret talks to God in the hope that maybe he can speed things up a bit.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440404193, Paperback)

If anyone tried to determine the most common rite of passage for preteen girls in North America, a girl's first reading of Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret would rank near the top of the list. Judy Blume and her character Margaret Simon were the first to say out loud (and in a book even) that it is normal for girls to wonder when they are ever going to fill out their training bras. Puberty is a curious and annoying time. Girls' bodies begin to do freakish things--or, as in Margaret's case, they don't do freakish things nearly as fast as girls wish they would. Adolescents are often so relieved to discover that someone understands their body-angst that they miss one of the book's deeper explorations: a young person's relationship with God. Margaret has a very private relationship with God, and it's only after she moves to New Jersey and hangs out with a new friend that she discovers that it might be weird to talk to God without a priest or a rabbi to mediate. Margaret just wants to fit in! Who is God, and where is He when she needs Him? She begins to look into the cups of her training bra for answers ...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:48 -0400)

Faced with the difficulties of growing up and choosing a religion, a twelve-year-old girl talks over her problems with her own private God.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,742,582 books! | Top bar: Always visible