Brody's Ghost Volume 1 by Crilley Mark

Brody's Ghost Volume 1 (edition 2010)

by Crilley Mark

Member:nwolff
Title:Brody's Ghost Volume 1
Authors:Crilley Mark
Info:Dark Horse (2010), Paperback, 96 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:2012, graphic novel, manga, ya, ghost, quest, murder

Brody's Ghost Volume 1 by Mark Crilley

This was a well done little graphic novel that has an engaging and interesting story and decent artwork. I ended up enjoying it more than I expected.

Brody is trying to make some quick cash on the street when a ghost appears before him. He hopes that she is just an illusion, but nope...just his luck...he is one of the few people who can see ghosts. This teenage girl ghost, Talia, wants Brody’s help in tracking down a dangerous killer, however Brody lacks the spiritual training needed to do so. In hopes of remedying this Talia finds Brody a teacher in the form of an old samurai ghost.

This story was engaging and the illustration was well done. I ended up enjoying both Brody and Talia and am very curious about the ghostly samurai teacher introduced toward the end of the book.

The story is pretty short, but it was well written and I am curious as to what happens next.

Overall this was a well done graphic novel. The story is engaging, the characters are intriguing, and I am eager to see what happens next. I enjoyed the illustration style as well. I would recommend to fans of Jeff Smith and Kazu Kibuishi graphic novels. ( )
  krau0098 | Mar 4, 2016 |
Dumped by his girlfriend, Brody has been wallowing in self-pity until a ghost recruits him to find the serial killer responsible for the “Penny Murders.” This is a six book series and as of this date, books 1-4 are available now. The books are slim, but packed with detailed illustrations and a fast moving plot that leaves the reader in suspense at each conclusion. There’s an East meets West futuristic atmosphere to the series that reminds me of Blade Runner. In addition, Mark Crilley gives his readers a look at his creative process by including preliminary sketches and thoughts on layout and perspective for each installment, an added bonus for budding graphic artists.

Hand this to your reluctant readers, a quick engrossing read that's sure to please. ( )
  lillibrary | Jan 23, 2016 |
Interesting setup for a series about a "ghost seer" who is asked to help a beautiful female ghost solve a mystery and get into heaven. This first book is the fairly standard I-can't-believe-I-have-these-powers introduction, but there is decent character development. The backgrounds in so many panels remind me of Will Eisner's great drooping cityscapes, although the characters are more manga-based. ( )
1 vote legallypuzzled | Oct 3, 2011 |
A manga about a young bum who meets a ghost one day. She needs his help to move on and to help get over his ex girlfriend. An excellent mix of East meeting West. ( )
  Rhinoa | Jan 9, 2011 |
This book is dedicated to Jill Thompson, who believed in this series when I'd almost stopped believing in it myself.
Some days you're better off staying in bed.

"Brody hoped it was just a hallucination. But no, the teenaged ghostly girl who'd come face to face with him in the middle of a busy city street was all too real. And now she was back, telling him she needed his help in hunting down a dangerous killer, and that he must undergo training from the spirit of a centuries-old samurai to unlock his hidden supernatural powers. Thirteen-time Eisner nominee Mark Crilley joins Dark Horse to launch his most original and action-packed saga to date in Brody's Ghost"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,100,341 books! | Top bar: Always visible