At Knit's End: Meditations for Women…

At Knit's End: Meditations for Women Who Knit Too Much (original 2005; edition 2005)

by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee

1,498None4,923 (4.35)8
Member:PegGraham
Title:At Knit's End: Meditations for Women Who Knit Too Much
Authors:Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
Info:Storey Publishing, LLC (2005), Paperback, 320 pages

At Knit's End: Meditations for Women Who Knit Too Much by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee (2005)

A fun book about the obsessions we can develop for yarn, yarn shops, the latest gadgets and all things knitting. Good for times when you only have time for 5 minutes to read or when you just need a pick me up. ( )
  justicefortibet | Aug 3, 2010 |
The following is my personal opinion; you don't have to share it.

I enjoy the Yarn Harlot's stories very much. . . in context. This book has a new tidbit on nearly every page, so I found there to be little flow or cohesiveness that made her other books so pleasurable to read. Additionally, much of the content seemed to be recycled from previous books. I am not a big fan of "quotes," so I didn't feel that those added much to the recycled anecdotes and thoughts.

I also question the use of the subtitle "Meditations for WOMEN who knit too much" (emphasis mine). We're all pretty aware that the knitting world is densely populated with women, but nothing about the content of this book struck me as particularly specific to women. I don't see a reason for the exclusion. Some of the stories do involve her husband and her motherhood experiences, but in my opinion, those seemed translatable to a female partner, or to fatherhood. (Obviously not all readers will be interested in opposite-sex relationships, or in parenthood--I'm merely venturing a guess as to why that subtitle was chosen.)

The book isn't all bad. Its physical size makes it easy to carry in a purse, knitting bag, or even a large pocket, and its format makes it easy to read a few pages and easily put it down again. It might be a fun little stocking stuffer for someone who doesn't own the Yarn Harlot's previous works, or who can't bear to put down the needles for long reads. Personally, though, I would recommend her other books over this one. ( )
2 vote LauraLittlePony | Nov 20, 2009 |
Its great to find a way to laugh at something you hold near and dear. This book is the equivalent of my husband's Uncle John's Bathroom Reader Series. I've placed it in my knitting basket beside my chair and pull it out for a wee bit of humour when the stitches get mussed and the prospect of a massive "frog" leaves me ready to swear off knitting forever... or at least until tomorrow.

If you find yourself bristling when someone tries to "make you smile" then this isn't the book for you. If you're the sort who stands in awe at the fact that "you're a grown up!?!" then you'll likely love this book! ( )
  VriesemaFamily | Mar 9, 2009 |
Stephanie's first book and probably still her best. She's got the "knitting humor" market locked down for a reason. ( )
  Katya0133 | Feb 23, 2009 |
Despite the subtitle, this book is equally suited to men who knit too much! ( )
  magnuscanis | Dec 30, 2008 |
For Joe, Amanda, Megan, and Samantha, who have never said one word about all the yarn. I love them to distraction.
In High Park, near my home in Toronto, there is a paved circle with a complex path painted on it, completely surrounded by trees and gardens.

At Knit's End captures the wickedly funny musings of someone who doesn't believe it's possible to knit too much and who willingly sacrifices sleep, family, work, and sanity in order to keep doing it. Stephanie Pearl-McPhee has seen it all, from the deadly second sock syndrome to a house so full of yarn she can't find her washing machine to desperate all-nighters spent feverishly finishing gifts. This hilarious collection of 300 tongue-in-cheek meditations will have knitters everywhere in stitches.… (more)

34 wanted1 pay3 pay

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,500,617 books! | Top bar: Always visible