B is for burglar by Sue Grafton

"B" is for burglar (edition 1985)

by Sue Grafton

Member:jagualar
Title:"B" is for burglar
Authors:Sue Grafton
Info:New York : Holt, Rinehart, and Winston, c1985.
Rating:***

B is for Burglar by Sue Grafton (Author)

Recently added byprivate library, DawnAllenbach, KRoan, OKC_Juvenile_Center, gennyt, IamFluff

English (49)  Spanish (1)  All languages (50)
The climax was one of a kind here, but I couldn't understand how a seasoned sleuth like the heroine could jeopardize her strategic advantage that ineptly. If someone has read enough Agatha Christie books, he would have solved the murder pronto. Did I? Did I hell! I went in with a too relaxed mind, expecting to be mildly cheered, when in fact, the language took me unawares. Since that moment I read on dutifully, without exercising the god given grey little cells. If you've read The Body In the Library, A Murder Is Announced, or Nemesis, you can piece the puzzle and connect the dots by yourself. ( )
  Jiraiya | Oct 17, 2013 |
The story was a good one with twists and turns - but I just didn't "take a shine to" Kinsey. Generally, if I'm going to read an on-going series, there's got to be some attraction to the main protagonist and it didn't happen for me in this novel. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Sep 19, 2013 |
  cmakny | Aug 14, 2013 |
"B" is my third read (I've read "S" and "A") of Sue Grafton's Kinsey Milhone. The plot was OK, though not to hard to connect some of the 'mystery dots' as one reads.

I thought Grafton over does metaphoric descriptions but her style is patterned after Ross McDonald creator of gumshoe PD Lou Archer, but if you like that style you like the alphabet series.

If your a Kinsey Millhone fan "B" won't disappoint ( )
  ScottKalas | Jun 10, 2013 |
I love Kinsey Milhone and one of the things I love about this book is not only is there a very interesting puzzle to solve, but we get a glimpse of all the details it takes for the detective to solve them. I like seeing the mundane little efforts she makes because so often we're just told answers without knowing how they were obtained. This book is very satisfying.

Kinsey takes on a missing persons case which looks pretty straight-forward but of course, nothing is as easy as it seems. Kinsey ends up having to take several trips to Boca Raton, FL where she meets a very interesting old lady who wants to help her with her investigation. Along with the characters she meets in Santa Teresa, Kinsey always has quite a cast of minor characters. Another win for Sue Grafton. ( )
  Mrsbaty | May 5, 2013 |

Grafton, SueAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ammelrooy, Anneke vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kaye, JudyReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Steven, who sees me through.
After it's over, of course, you want to kick yourself for all the things you didn't see at the time.

Back cover:

Female, aged thirty-two, single, self-employed and wiser than she used to be. For Kinsey Millhone, private investigator, only one thing stays the same. When a client sits down in the chair across the desk, she never knows what's going to happen next...

Business was slow, and there was nothing about Beverly Danziger to cause Kinsey concern.

She was looking for her sister. She paid up front. And if it seemed a lot of money for a routine job, Kinsey wasn't going to argue.

She kicked herself later for the things she didn't see. But by then she was in danger, and money was the last thing on her mind...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312939000, Mass Market Paperback)

Although business has been slow lately for P.I. Kinsey Millhone, she's reluctant to take on the case of locating Beverly Danziger's sister Elaine Boldt. It's a small matter that Beverly should be able to handle herself. So why is she enlisting Kinsey's services? Beverly claims she needs Elaine's signature on some documents so that she can collect a small inheritance. But the whole affair doesn't sit well with Kinsey. And if there's something she's learned in her line of work, it's to always follow your instincts…

Kinsey's hunch proves true when she begins her inquiries into Elaine's whereabouts and discovers that the attractive widow was last seen in a flashy lynx coat boarding a plane for Boca Raton. But the more Kinsey searches for Elaine the more questions she encounters. Is Elaine's disappearance tied in to the brutal murder several months ago of one of her bridge partners? And what happened to Elaine's Persian cat who seems to have also vanished?

Things take a turn for the worse when a stranger vandalizes the home of one of Elaine's neighbors and another neighbor turns up murdered. With her reputation and career on the line, Kinsey risks all to find a missing woman and a killer who's waiting in the shadows to strike again…

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:39 -0400)

California private eye Kinsey Millhone takes on a case where nothing seems to add up-one apartment burgled of worthless papers, another mindlessly ransacked and destroyed, a house destroyed by arson and a woman brutally slain.

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,608,562 books! | Top bar: Always visible