B is for burglar by Sue Grafton

"B" is for burglar (edition 1985)

by Sue Grafton

Member:jagualar
Title:"B" is for burglar
Authors:Sue Grafton
Info:New York : Holt, Rinehart, and Winston, c1985.
Rating:***

B Is For Burglar by Sue Grafton

English (62)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  All (64)
As usual, a great read and an awesome mystery! This time around, Kinsey gets hired to find a missing person. However, there are so many wrenches thrown in along the way plus many many suspects it leaves your head spinning. I did not guess the murderer at all nor the accomplice. All in all a good read and looking forward to reading "C" next! ( )
  booklover3258 | Oct 16, 2016 |
I think my favorite thing about the series so far is the detailing Grafton employs. It's like a more cynical breed of an Agatha Christie/Nancy Drew caper crossover. I'm still not entirely sold on the main character but it'll be interesting to see her fleshed out in the remaining books. ( )
  lamotamant | Sep 22, 2016 |
I hope that these books get better. I may just have to give up on them. This book wasn't so much bad as it was pointless and boring, at least to me. I didn't care about anyone in this book, at all. No one grabbed my attention, and the mystery was just so-so.

Kinsey (the main character) is really weird to me. I feel like we are supposed to think she is this cool,quirky, bad ass but she comes across to me pretty much the opposite. She is unnecessarily rude to people, she seems weirdly oblivious at times, and she weirdly sexualizes everyone she meets...Well, at least the men. And I mean everyone. Last book it was a bunch of guys including a 12-year-old deaf kid and in this book it includes a 16 (or 17?) year-old punk, and her geriatric landlord. It is just really off-putting. I'll admit this may just be me, but i don't think so.

Also bad, I guessed what was going on pretty early in the book. Now, if the rest of the plot is well written and engaging it doesn't matter, but if it is slow and boring it is like pulling teeth to get through.

I know that these books start out written in the 80s before cell phones and other tech advances, but i don't mind that in the book. It actually makes me smile a bit.

I am going on the the third book in the hopes that as Sue Grafton goes along she gets better. I certainly hope so. ( )
  Sarah_Buckley | Sep 17, 2016 |
Review: B is For Burglar by Sue Grafton. A Kinsey Millhone Novel. Grafton’s books are always a fast read, enjoyable and I like to squeeze one in to read whenever I can.

Kinsey once more takes her investigation to the depth of her life to almost six feet under. She starts out with a missing person case, takes her investigation through an arson case that lead to a charred body. Who was the person who died in the fire? Kinsey had this feeling that the murder case was somehow involved in her missing person case. However, the police and insurance company disagreed.

The dental x-rays match the blundered charred female who lived in the home. The husband who was out that evening became distraught after hearing about his wife. They had only a twenty-five thousand dollar insurance policy on the home and land they took out twenty-eight years earlier which , they never up-dated. So, money was not the motive. The police found no suspects and called it a burglary gone wrong, case closed. The insurance company were settling and also closing the case.

The arson and murder case would go to the cold files unless Kinsey could find more evidence to prove her theory. Read on to find out what Kinsey discovers from an airplane tickets, a fur coat, and one repugnant rude lady in Florida.

One of a series of Sue Grafton’s mystery stories. Well written, enjoyable, fast pace smooth read. Recommended……
  Juan-banjo | May 31, 2016 |

Kaye, JudyReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moya, Antonio-PrometeoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moya, Antonio-PrometeoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prometeo Moya, AntonioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Steven, who sees me through.
After it's over, of course, you want to kick yourself for all the things you didn't see at the time.
ISBN 9055011029 is the Dutch book for A Is for Alibi, B Is for Burglar, C Is for Corpse

Back cover:

Female, aged thirty-two, single, self-employed and wiser than she used to be. For Kinsey Millhone, private investigator, only one thing stays the same. When a client sits down in the chair across the desk, she never knows what's going to happen next...

She was looking for her sister. She paid up front. And if it seemed a lot of money for a routine job, Kinsey wasn't going to argue.

She kicked herself later for the things she didn't see. But by then she was in danger, and money was the last thing on her mind...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312939000, Mass Market Paperback)

Although business has been slow lately for P.I. Kinsey Millhone, she's reluctant to take on the case of locating Beverly Danziger's sister Elaine Boldt. It's a small matter that Beverly should be able to handle herself. So why is she enlisting Kinsey's services? Beverly claims she needs Elaine's signature on some documents so that she can collect a small inheritance. But the whole affair doesn't sit well with Kinsey. And if there's something she's learned in her line of work, it's to always follow your instincts…

Kinsey's hunch proves true when she begins her inquiries into Elaine's whereabouts and discovers that the attractive widow was last seen in a flashy lynx coat boarding a plane for Boca Raton. But the more Kinsey searches for Elaine the more questions she encounters. Is Elaine's disappearance tied in to the brutal murder several months ago of one of her bridge partners? And what happened to Elaine's Persian cat who seems to have also vanished?

Things take a turn for the worse when a stranger vandalizes the home of one of Elaine's neighbors and another neighbor turns up murdered. With her reputation and career on the line, Kinsey risks all to find a missing woman and a killer who's waiting in the shadows to strike again…

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:15 -0400)

"Female, aged thirty-two, single, self-employed and wiser than she used to be. For Kinsey Millhone, private investigator, only one thing stays the same. When a client sits down in the chair across the desk, she never knows what's going to happen next ... Business was slow, and there was nothing about Beverly Danziger to cause Kinsey concern. She was looking for her sister. She paid up front. And if it seemed a lot fo money for a routine job, Kinsey wasn't going to argue." -- back cover.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,731,401 books! | Top bar: Always visible