B is for Burglar by Sue Grafton

B is for Burglar (original 1985; edition 1985)

by Sue Grafton

Member:makfan
Title:B is for Burglar
Authors:Sue Grafton
Info:Holt, Rinehart and Winston (1985), Edition: BkClb, Paperback
Collections:Your library, To read

B Is for Burglar by Sue Grafton (1985)

Recently added byrena75, Esmithh, terrencejerome, kbarbato87, private library, davidakachaos
    One for the Money (Stephanie Plum, No. 1) by Janet Evanovich (JenniferRobb)
    JenniferRobb: Strong female main characters with a bit of humor.

English (63)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (65)
B is for Burgler by Sue Grafton; (2 1/2*); bk 2

I like our lady detective and love the relationship between her and her landlord. I also enjoy the rapport with the bar & grill owner, Rosie.
But I found this missing person mystery to be rather convoluted and messy, or at least the telling of it to be. This series will have to improve a great deal within the next couple of books if I am going to continue with it. ( )
  rainpebble | Apr 9, 2018 |
I read this once before, so many years ago that I don't remember the exact date. But it's been a while and I didn't recall all the book details, so when I saw a copy for free in a book exchange location, I decided to read it again, knowing that I'd enjoyed the early Kinsey Millhone books.

I did find some typos in this this edition, which surprised me. I don't remember noting those the last time I read the book, though honestly, I found I didn't remember much of the storyline. Kinsey takes on a missing persons case--I did wonder how the estate stuff that brought Beverly to Kinsey would end up being resolved if the person she was looking for turned up dead. That question was never answered, nor do we find out what happened with the Danzigers. ( )
  JenniferRobb | Mar 9, 2018 |
A quick read about Kinsey Millhones. A great mystery ( )
  camplakejewel | Sep 21, 2017 |
As usual, a great read and an awesome mystery! This time around, Kinsey gets hired to find a missing person. However, there are so many wrenches thrown in along the way plus many many suspects it leaves your head spinning. I did not guess the murderer at all nor the accomplice. All in all a good read and looking forward to reading "C" next! ( )
  booklover3258 | Oct 16, 2016 |
I think my favorite thing about the series so far is the detailing Grafton employs. It's like a more cynical breed of an Agatha Christie/Nancy Drew caper crossover. I'm still not entirely sold on the main character but it'll be interesting to see her fleshed out in the remaining books. ( )
  lamotamant | Sep 22, 2016 |

Grafton, Sueprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ammelrooy, Anneke vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kaye, JudyReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Peiffer, MaryNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prometeo Moya, AntonioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Steven, who sees me through.
After it's over, of course, you want to kick yourself for all the things you didn't see at the time.
ISBN 9055011029 is the Dutch book for A Is for Alibi, B Is for Burglar, C Is for Corpse
ISBNs 0333926722, 0333989260 & 140507289X are for the Macmillan Readers edition, retold by John Escott
ISBNs 0739357352, 0375417184, 039457978X, 0333989260 are for abridged audiobook

Back cover:

Female, aged thirty-two, single, self-employed and wiser than she used to be. For Kinsey Millhone, private investigator, only one thing stays the same. When a client sits down in the chair across the desk, she never knows what's going to happen next...

Business was slow, and there was nothing about Beverly Danziger to cause Kinsey concern.

She was looking for her sister. She paid up front. And if it seemed a lot of money for a routine job, Kinsey wasn't going to argue.

She kicked herself later for the things she didn't see. But by then she was in danger, and money was the last thing on her mind...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312939000, Mass Market Paperback)

Although business has been slow lately for P.I. Kinsey Millhone, she's reluctant to take on the case of locating Beverly Danziger's sister Elaine Boldt. It's a small matter that Beverly should be able to handle herself. So why is she enlisting Kinsey's services? Beverly claims she needs Elaine's signature on some documents so that she can collect a small inheritance. But the whole affair doesn't sit well with Kinsey. And if there's something she's learned in her line of work, it's to always follow your instincts…

Kinsey's hunch proves true when she begins her inquiries into Elaine's whereabouts and discovers that the attractive widow was last seen in a flashy lynx coat boarding a plane for Boca Raton. But the more Kinsey searches for Elaine the more questions she encounters. Is Elaine's disappearance tied in to the brutal murder several months ago of one of her bridge partners? And what happened to Elaine's Persian cat who seems to have also vanished?

Things take a turn for the worse when a stranger vandalizes the home of one of Elaine's neighbors and another neighbor turns up murdered. With her reputation and career on the line, Kinsey risks all to find a missing woman and a killer who's waiting in the shadows to strike again…

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:15 -0400)

California private eye Kinsey Millhone takes on a case where nothing seems to add up--one apartment burgled of worthless papers, another mindlessly ransacked and destroyed, a house destroyed by arson, and a woman brutally slain.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,654,288 books! | Top bar: Always visible