Janis Joplin: Rise Up Singing by Ann Angel

Janis Joplin: Rise Up Singing (edition 2010)

by Ann Angel

Member:WarriorLibrary
Title:Janis Joplin: Rise Up Singing
Authors:Ann Angel
Info:Amulet Books (2010), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 128 pages
Rating:***
Tags:TAYSHAS

Janis Joplin: Rise Up Singing by Ann Angel

This is one of the best short biographies that I have ever read. The author did a fantastic job capturing the complexities of Janis Joplin as well as her talent and intelligence. The end pages and detailing around the text, as well as the table of contents, can only be described as psychedelic. The text was so captivating that I could not put this book down. There were plenty of photographs to supplement the text as well. There's also a timeline, acknowledgments, notes, a bibliography, image credits, an index, and information about the author that enhance the book even more. I would not recommend that this book be put in high school classrooms because it discusses Janis's use of drugs and alcohol and does contain unsuitable language for children and teens, but it is nonetheless a great book. ( )
  meblack19 | Apr 27, 2014 |
very colorful and kind presentation. she is one of my favorites rock personalities. ( )
  SparklePonies | Mar 14, 2014 |
4Q, 3P (my voya codes). Janis Joplin was an amazing vocal talent. Her career was tragically cut short (spending only about 3 yrs in the spotlight) with her death at age 27, and yet, she managed to leave an indelible mark on music history. While Angel gives an accurate biographical account of Janis' struggles with drugs, alcohol, and self-esteem, she doesn't go very deep into who Janis was. Interviews with people who knew her give a glimpse, but I would have liked to see more quotes directly from Janis herself. Thankfully, Angel included 60+ photographs which help to show Janis herself and Janis the persona. Even though this is book is a YALSA winner, I can't help but wonder how relevant Janis rates among teens today. ( )
  breeankay | Apr 17, 2013 |
Janis Joplin is one of my all-time favorites and I realized how little I knew about her; I brought out all my old albums and had a nostalgic weekend! ( )
  lindap69 | Apr 5, 2013 |
I mostly loved this biography of Joplin that's aimed at young adults, but there's the huge elephant standing in the middle of it that ruined it for me.

The facts given jibe with the rest of the biographies I've read (and I've read 'em all). The author's love and reverence for the subject inform the book without glossing over any of Joplin's shortcomings. The photographs are lovely, of course. The introduction by Sam Andrew is very touching. The digressions about the sixties are fairly well-done. Joplin's addictions are discussed at length, as are her numerous failed heterosexual relationships.

But nowhere at all is there the whisper of the fact that Janis never limited herself to heterosexual relationships. She had several well documented relationships with women, and I can't understand why that entire facet of Joplin was ignored.

It's a dealbreaker for me, the whitewashing of history. So I'm dinging this otherwise perfectly interesting book a star.

******Edited 1/9
Re-read it very carefully today, and found this, on page 28:

"Always hungry for affection, she compulsively sought attention from both men and women. Friends speculate that she had her first lesbian experiences in college. She didn't speak openly about her affairs with women, and in an era when homosexuality and bisexuality were stigmatized, she may not have felt that she could: however, the intensity of her interactions with certain women indicates that some of them may have been more than friends. (In particular, she and her friend Juli Paul were known for crazed, drunken fights that they sometimes carried into the streets.) In the years to come, Janis would be more open to friends and lovers about her bisexuality, although in the course of her life, she had many more relationships with men than with women."

That's it. Sum total. Not enough, sorry. One single little paragraph is, indeed, better than the total absence of acknowledgment I found the first time through, but no. When there are pages and pages devoted to analyzing her heterosexual relationships, discussing the men by name and talking about what color eyes they had... no.
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |

Forty years after her death, Janis Joplin remains among the most compelling and influential figures in rock-and-roll history. Her story—told here with depth and sensitivity by author Ann Angel—is one of a girl who struggled against rules and limitations, yet worked diligently to improve as a singer. It’s the story of an outrageous rebel who wanted to be loved, and of a wild woman who wrote long, loving letters to her mom. And finally, it’s the story of one of the most iconic female musicians in American history, who died at twenty-seven.

Janis Joplin includes more than sixty photographs, and an assortment of anecdotes from Janis’s friends and band mates. This thoroughly researched and well-illustrated biography is a must-have for all young artists, music lovers, and pop-culture enthusiasts.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:50 -0400)

This book examines the life and musical career of Janis Joplin.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,354,946 books! | Top bar: Always visible