The Last Letter from Your Lover: A Novel by…

The Last Letter from Your Lover: A Novel (original 2010; edition 2012)

by Jojo Moyes

Member:michellereads
Title:The Last Letter from Your Lover: A Novel
Authors:Jojo Moyes
Info:Penguin Books (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 416 pages
Rating:****1/2

The Last Letter from Your Lover by Jojo Moyes (2010)

English (51)  German (2)  All languages (53)
This compelling love story spans two generations, with plot intricacies spun with expertise. The moral question of whether true love should usurp the marriage bond is challenged, delicate subject matter that Moyes handles with care.

The book opens with Jennifer Sterling, waking in the hospital after a car accident, broken and with amnesia. She doesn't remember her husband, her friends, doesn't recognize her home or her own belongings. She also doesn't remember the love affair she was carrying on with another before the accident. Jennifer had been on her way to the train station to run off with her lover when the crash occurred. Until she finds a letter from Anthony, tucked into a romance novel on her shelf.

Puzzling through who he was, and what had been going on between them, Jennifer exists through several months not really knowing who she is, only that she is unhappy in her marriage and in her privileged life. Her husband finally confronts her, telling her that he knew about her affair, and that her lover died in the crash. What follows is only one of the many twists and turns this story takes to keep the reader guessing.

At first, I was off-put by the rather cliche premise of a character waking up with amnesia. The literary quality of Moyes's prose tended to lag through the first few chapters. But it was definitely worth sticking with, since the emotions evoked as we follow the repeatedly sabotaged lovers hits square in the heart.

In the last quarter of the book, we zip forward forty years, and meet a new character in a modern age. Like Jennifer, she is involved in a forbidden love affair, but she is on the opposite side of the story. Her lover is married, and she lives wistfully from each text message to the next, hoping for a someday that most likely will never occur. She begins work on a story for her newspaper, and her research uncovers Anthony's letters - the last letters from a lover.

The way Moyes intertwines the story lines is poetic, almost musical. If you believe in true love, or would like to, I highly recommend hanging on through that somewhat cliche and slightly sluggish start. It's well worth the wait.

Frances.S.Brown | Apr 26, 2016 |
It did take me a while to get in to this book but once I did it was a lovely can't put down read.

Yes (I wrote the above via my new samsung phone and I discovered the goodreads app. How fantastic that I can grab my books here at home and scan them.
I a planning on scanning all my true crime books cause that way i can see if all of them were registered. So far I keep finding books I forgot to register.

Okay back to this book.
Perhaps it was a bit annoying and too much coincidences and because of a little time life changing stuff happened. So 5 minutes changes their lives. Not once but more. However she did manage to not make it too obvious and I also liked the story within the story. ( )
  Marlene-NL | Mar 12, 2016 |
This is a pleasantly paced double story - present time writer gets absorbed in a 1960's love story. They combine to make a good but forgettable read. ( )
  BridgitDavis | Mar 1, 2016 |
The novel opens when beautiful, rich Jennifer Stirling wakes up in a hospital room unable to remember anything. Nothing seems familiar, not even her husband. After she is released, she finds her house just as unfamiliar. As she explores the house she finds a series of carefully hidden love letters addressed to her and signed “B” which confirm her sense that her marriage was an unhappy one. But who was her lover? Circumstances intervene and forty years later, journalist Ellie Haworth uncovers a group of love letters signed “B” in the newspaper archives. The passion of the letters draw Ellie in. She can’t help but compare the intensity of the letters with the cryptic text messages she receives from John, a married man with whom she is having an affair.

I know Jojo Moyes has lots of fans so when I needed to read a book with a pink cover I thought this would be a great opportunity to check one out. Unfortunately, based on this book, it turns out I'm not one of her fans. I'm not sure if the reader is supposed to admire or identify with these two spoiled, self-absorbed women or take them as a caution. I'm not sure how Ellie could even keep a job. Jennifer is supposedly leaving her husband for her “soul mate” yet she can't even be bothered over the next forty years to see if he's really dead? Spare me! It was a boring, predictable story with miserable and unlikable characters. I understand from a friend that this “may not have been her best story” so I'm not saying I'll never pick up another one....it just won't be until the nausea subsides that was brought on by this one.
  Olivermagnus | Jan 17, 2016 |
Middle of the Jojo Moyes road. A couple a great moments, otherwise, pretty standard. You pretty much could see most of it coming.

Best part of book? When I got to the very last page, there was a sticky-note left by a previous reader that said, "I love you." Nice way to end the final read of 2015. ( )
  bookczuk | Dec 31, 2015 |
To Charles, who started it all with a paper message
She's waking up.

It is 1960. When Jennifer Stirling wakes up in the hospital, she can remember nothing-not the tragic car accident that put her there, not her husband, not even who she is. She feels like a stranger in her own life until she stumbles upon an impassioned letter, signed simply "B", asking her to leave her husband.

Years later, in 2003, a journalist named Ellie discovers the same enigmatic letter in a forgotten file in her newspaper's archives. She becomes obsessed by the story and hopeful that it can resurrect her faltering career. Perhaps if these lovers had a happy ending she will find one to her own complicated love life, too. Ellie's search will rewrite history and help her see the truth about her own modern romance.

A spellbinding, intoxicating love story with a knockout ending, The Last Letter from Your Lover will appeal to the readers who have made One Day and The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society bestsellers.

More than forty years after a car accident causes Jennifer Stirling to lose her memory on the day she planned to leave her husband for a mysterious lover, journalist Ellie becomes obsessed by the story and seeks the truth in the hopes of revitalizing her career.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,836,772 books! | Top bar: Always visible