The Last Letter from Your Lover: A Novel by…

The Last Letter from Your Lover: A Novel (original 2010; edition 2012)

by Jojo Moyes

Member:michellereads
Title:The Last Letter from Your Lover: A Novel
Authors:Jojo Moyes
Info:Penguin Books (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 416 pages
Rating:****1/2

The Last Letter from Your Lover by Jojo Moyes (2010)

English (45)  German (2)  All languages (47)
It's 1960 when Jennifer Stirling wakes up in the hospital with no memory. She cannot remember anything about her life, not her husband and not the accident that put her in the hospital. Later, back home and trying to decipher her life, Jennifer discovers a letter. The missive, urging her leave her husband is something else Jennifer doesn't remember. While she doesn't remember the man who wrote to her - it is signed only 'B,' either - it does let her know that her marriage is not everything she has been told.

Jennifer's initial discovery of the letter sets into motion a whole series of events that take place over many years - even decades.

The Last Letter from Your Lover is quite an epic love story that has a lot of back and forth in time periods in the beginning - it can get confusing if you don't pay attention to the dates on the headings. The two main characters are also kept apart a lot but its their separation that grows their relationship and the book.

In the latter section of the book, new characters - one central and some secondary - are added to the story. They help to advance the original story line.

It's a difficult story to summarize, but the way it spans so much time and uses things relevant to the time period (both gender wise and other things I wouldn't have thought of) as well as making things difficult for extra-marital affairs, both for logistically and psychologically on those involved is fantastic.

The Last Letter from Your Lover is a book I picked up while looking for potential books to buy people for Christmas and it was an enjoyable read. I'm not sure it's a book that will stay with your or has any scenes that will stick in your head, but it's definitely worth a read - and one that I'm recommending.

Rating: 8/10
  BookSpot | May 18, 2015 |
I absolutely love Jojo Moye's books! This is one of the most exciting finds for me, 2 new authors in 2014. I will say that Jojo's writing is fabulous, detailed, and the characters are so well done. The only hitch I find is some of the books take so long to get into, they get slow in the middle, but she tweaks something in every book and I'm blown away not seeing it coming! READ! ( )
  mchwest | Apr 28, 2015 |
This book tells two interconnected love stories - one that takes place in the 1960s and one that occurs in 2003. There are a couple of twists that are surprising and unexpected. I like the way Jojo Moyes writes - she never gives in to pat or trite endings but instead writes events and personal reactions that are more true to life. I thought this was a heartwarming, wonderful story - which is not something I say very often about the books that I read. Highly recommended. ( )
  flourgirl49 | Mar 11, 2015 |
I made it to chapter 7 but I just couldn't read it in time to get back to the library. Maybe next time.
I was confused with the story line at first having the chapters alternate between pre & post accident. I want to know what really happened in terms of the car accident so I will need to finish it to find out
  sharlenehsmith | Mar 9, 2015 |
I'm not into love stories, but this book was amazing. It wraps you up in the story and the characters and you are taken on a journey with them. Just when you think you know what is going to happen or that you wonder how you could possibly have so many pages left to read, the story takes a surprising turn. It does this a few times and keeps the pages flying by. Jojo Moyes knows how to write a story that takes you in and when it's over, leaves you feeling like you've left friends behind. ( )
  Bonnie.Dewkett | Dec 7, 2014 |
To Charles, who started it all with a paper message
She's waking up.

It is 1960. When Jennifer Stirling wakes up in the hospital, she can remember nothing-not the tragic car accident that put her there, not her husband, not even who she is. She feels like a stranger in her own life until she stumbles upon an impassioned letter, signed simply "B", asking her to leave her husband.

Years later, in 2003, a journalist named Ellie discovers the same enigmatic letter in a forgotten file in her newspaper's archives. She becomes obsessed by the story and hopeful that it can resurrect her faltering career. Perhaps if these lovers had a happy ending she will find one to her own complicated love life, too. Ellie's search will rewrite history and help her see the truth about her own modern romance.

A spellbinding, intoxicating love story with a knockout ending, The Last Letter from Your Lover will appeal to the readers who have made One Day and The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society bestsellers.

More than forty years after a car accident causes Jennifer Stirling to lose her memory on the day she planned to leave her husband for a mysterious lover, journalist Ellie becomes obsessed by the story and seeks the truth in the hopes of revitalizing her career.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,961,793 books! | Top bar: Always visible