The Last Letter from Your Lover: A Novel by…

The Last Letter from Your Lover: A Novel (original 2010; edition 2012)

by Jojo Moyes

Member:michellereads
Title:The Last Letter from Your Lover: A Novel
Authors:Jojo Moyes
Info:Penguin Books (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 416 pages
Rating:****1/2

The Last Letter from Your Lover by Jojo Moyes (2010)

English (49)  German (2)  All languages (51)
Two parallel love stories set 40 years apart. ( )
  Kathiroo | Jan 25, 2016 |
The novel opens when beautiful, rich Jennifer Stirling wakes up in a hospital room unable to remember anything. Nothing seems familiar, not even her husband. After she is released, she finds her house just as unfamiliar. As she explores the house she finds a series of carefully hidden love letters addressed to her and signed “B” which confirm her sense that her marriage was an unhappy one. But who was her lover? Circumstances intervene and forty years later, journalist Ellie Haworth uncovers a group of love letters signed “B” in the newspaper archives. The passion of the letters draw Ellie in. She can’t help but compare the intensity of the letters with the cryptic text messages she receives from John, a married man with whom she is having an affair.

I know Jojo Moyes has lots of fans so when I needed to read a book with a pink cover I thought this would be a great opportunity to check one out. Unfortunately, based on this book, it turns out I'm not one of her fans. I'm not sure if the reader is supposed to admire or identify with these two spoiled, self-absorbed women or take them as a caution. I'm not sure how Ellie could even keep a job. Jennifer is supposedly leaving her husband for her “soul mate” yet she can't even be bothered over the next forty years to see if he's really dead? Spare me! It was a boring, predictable story with miserable and unlikable characters. I understand from a friend that this “may not have been her best story” so I'm not saying I'll never pick up another one....it just won't be until the nausea subsides that was brought on by this one.
  Olivermagnus | Jan 17, 2016 |
Middle of the Jojo Moyes road. A couple a great moments, otherwise, pretty standard. You pretty much could see most of it coming.

Best part of book? When I got to the very last page, there was a sticky-note left by a previous reader that said, "I love you." Nice way to end the final read of 2015. ( )
  bookczuk | Dec 31, 2015 |
Jennifer Stirling is a typical 1960’s housewife. Typical, that is, for her social standing. She feels she does nothing but decorate her husband’s life, but then that’s what all her friends do as well. Then one morning she wakes up in the hospital, remembering nothing about the accident that put her there, or her life before that. Slowly, through hidden correspondence she finds in the back of her closet, glimpses of her previous life come back to mind. It’s definitely not what she expected. An unhappy marriage? A lover? Plans to run away? All with a man she knows nothing about except that the letters are signed with a “B”.

Jump to 2003 when features writer Ellie Haworth finds a copy of one of the letters in a dusty old file in the archives of the newspaper she works for. Too intriguing to ignore and much to the chagrin of her editor, she puts everything else aside to investigate this letter that so touched her heart. As she begins to pull the story together she realizes that the parallels between her story and Jennifer’s are both uncanny and disturbing.

This book is told in three distinct parts; Jennifer’s story, Ellie’s story and then, the two collide. It is a love story but it is also so much more than that. It’s a commentary of the differences in women’s roles in the early 1960’s, the beginning of “women’s lib” and the role of women in the 21st century. It also explores, and this is the part I found so fascinating, the differences in the way people correspond with the coming of email, cell phones and text messaging. That in itself so clearly defines the differences in the lives of the two main characters. If this book has to be classified as “Chick Lit” then it is definitely a dine example of the genre. I really enjoyed this book and, as I came to the last pages, I didn't want the story to end.
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
It's 1960 when Jennifer Stirling wakes up in the hospital with no memory. She cannot remember anything about her life, not her husband and not the accident that put her in the hospital. Later, back home and trying to decipher her life, Jennifer discovers a letter. The missive, urging her leave her husband is something else Jennifer doesn't remember. While she doesn't remember the man who wrote to her - it is signed only 'B,' either - it does let her know that her marriage is not everything she has been told.

Jennifer's initial discovery of the letter sets into motion a whole series of events that take place over many years - even decades.

The Last Letter from Your Lover is quite an epic love story that has a lot of back and forth in time periods in the beginning - it can get confusing if you don't pay attention to the dates on the headings. The two main characters are also kept apart a lot but its their separation that grows their relationship and the book.

In the latter section of the book, new characters - one central and some secondary - are added to the story. They help to advance the original story line.

It's a difficult story to summarize, but the way it spans so much time and uses things relevant to the time period (both gender wise and other things I wouldn't have thought of) as well as making things difficult for extra-marital affairs, both for logistically and psychologically on those involved is fantastic.

The Last Letter from Your Lover is a book I picked up while looking for potential books to buy people for Christmas and it was an enjoyable read. I'm not sure it's a book that will stay with your or has any scenes that will stick in your head, but it's definitely worth a read - and one that I'm recommending.

Rating: 8/10
  BookSpot | May 18, 2015 |
To Charles, who started it all with a paper message
She's waking up.

It is 1960. When Jennifer Stirling wakes up in the hospital, she can remember nothing-not the tragic car accident that put her there, not her husband, not even who she is. She feels like a stranger in her own life until she stumbles upon an impassioned letter, signed simply "B", asking her to leave her husband.

Years later, in 2003, a journalist named Ellie discovers the same enigmatic letter in a forgotten file in her newspaper's archives. She becomes obsessed by the story and hopeful that it can resurrect her faltering career. Perhaps if these lovers had a happy ending she will find one to her own complicated love life, too. Ellie's search will rewrite history and help her see the truth about her own modern romance.

A spellbinding, intoxicating love story with a knockout ending, The Last Letter from Your Lover will appeal to the readers who have made One Day and The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society bestsellers.

More than forty years after a car accident causes Jennifer Stirling to lose her memory on the day she planned to leave her husband for a mysterious lover, journalist Ellie becomes obsessed by the story and seeks the truth in the hopes of revitalizing her career.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,190,388 books! | Top bar: Always visible