The Last Letter from Your Lover: A Novel by…

The Last Letter from Your Lover: A Novel (original 2010; edition 2012)

by Jojo Moyes

Member:michellereads
Title:The Last Letter from Your Lover: A Novel
Authors:Jojo Moyes
Info:Penguin Books (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 416 pages
Rating:****1/2

The Last Letter from Your Lover by Jojo Moyes (2010)

English (44)  German (2)  All languages (46)
This book tells two interconnected love stories - one that takes place in the 1960s and one that occurs in 2003. There are a couple of twists that are surprising and unexpected. I like the way Jojo Moyes writes - she never gives in to pat or trite endings but instead writes events and personal reactions that are more true to life. I thought this was a heartwarming, wonderful story - which is not something I say very often about the books that I read. Highly recommended. ( )
  flourgirl49 | Mar 11, 2015 |
I made it to chapter 7 but I just couldn't read it in time to get back to the library. Maybe next time.
I was confused with the story line at first having the chapters alternate between pre & post accident. I want to know what really happened in terms of the car accident so I will need to finish it to find out
  sharlenehsmith | Mar 9, 2015 |
I'm not into love stories, but this book was amazing. It wraps you up in the story and the characters and you are taken on a journey with them. Just when you think you know what is going to happen or that you wonder how you could possibly have so many pages left to read, the story takes a surprising turn. It does this a few times and keeps the pages flying by. Jojo Moyes knows how to write a story that takes you in and when it's over, leaves you feeling like you've left friends behind. ( )
  Bonnie.Dewkett | Dec 7, 2014 |
This is the second novel I've read by JoJo Moyes. While it was a good read it didn't compare with Me Before You.

In 1964 Jennifer wakes up in a hospital bed to find out she's married to Lawrence Stirling, a wealthy powerful businessman and is told she lives life in the circles of the social elite and wants for nothing. At first she has no memory but she comes across a love letter she hid previously and remembers she was deeply in love but not with her husband. As she finds more letters and clues she slowly puts together pieces of her past and longs for the man she once loved.

Fast forward forty years to Ellie, a journalist at The Nation finds a love letter in the library archives. Intrigued she may have a fantastic story she does further research and tries to locate the owner of the letter. Dealing with her own unfulfilling love triangle she pursues this story hoping for a happy ending.

I thought Jennifer was a bit shallow and found it difficult to like and connect with her and so as a result it felt like the beginning of the book dragged a bit. The twists and turns in the story kept my attention. I always enjoy past/present timelines and any mention of a library. I'd recommend this as a good beach read.

How I acquired this book: I think I bought this book at Barnes & Noble. I'll admit it was because I like the cover.

Shelf life: 2+ years ( )
  missjomarch | Jul 29, 2014 |
I loved this book. I hated how the characters constantly missed each other throughout their lives but finally got together at the end. ( )
  supavixen | Jul 21, 2014 |
To Charles, who started it all with a paper message
She's waking up.

It is 1960. When Jennifer Stirling wakes up in the hospital, she can remember nothing-not the tragic car accident that put her there, not her husband, not even who she is. She feels like a stranger in her own life until she stumbles upon an impassioned letter, signed simply "B", asking her to leave her husband.

Years later, in 2003, a journalist named Ellie discovers the same enigmatic letter in a forgotten file in her newspaper's archives. She becomes obsessed by the story and hopeful that it can resurrect her faltering career. Perhaps if these lovers had a happy ending she will find one to her own complicated love life, too. Ellie's search will rewrite history and help her see the truth about her own modern romance.

A spellbinding, intoxicating love story with a knockout ending, The Last Letter from Your Lover will appeal to the readers who have made One Day and The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society bestsellers.

More than forty years after a car accident causes Jennifer Stirling to lose her memory on the day she planned to leave her husband for a mysterious lover, journalist Ellie becomes obsessed by the story and seeks the truth in the hopes of revitalizing her career.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,167,346 books! | Top bar: Always visible