The Last Letter from Your Lover: A Novel by…

The Last Letter from Your Lover: A Novel (original 2010; edition 2012)

by Jojo Moyes

Member:michellereads
Title:The Last Letter from Your Lover: A Novel
Authors:Jojo Moyes
Info:Penguin Books (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 416 pages
Rating:****1/2

The Last Letter from Your Lover by Jojo Moyes (2010)

English (41)  German (2)  All languages (43)
This is the second novel I've read by JoJo Moyes. While it was a good read it didn't compare with Me Before You.

In 1964 Jennifer wakes up in a hospital bed to find out she's married to Lawrence Stirling, a wealthy powerful businessman and is told she lives life in the circles of the social elite and wants for nothing. At first she has no memory but she comes across a love letter she hid previously and remembers she was deeply in love but not with her husband. As she finds more letters and clues she slowly puts together pieces of her past and longs for the man she once loved.

Fast forward forty years to Ellie, a journalist at The Nation finds a love letter in the library archives. Intrigued she may have a fantastic story she does further research and tries to locate the owner of the letter. Dealing with her own unfulfilling love triangle she pursues this story hoping for a happy ending.

I thought Jennifer was a bit shallow and found it difficult to like and connect with her and so as a result it felt like the beginning of the book dragged a bit. The twists and turns in the story kept my attention. I always enjoy past/present timelines and any mention of a library. I'd recommend this as a good beach read.

How I acquired this book: I think I bought this book at Barnes & Noble. I'll admit it was because I like the cover.

Shelf life: 2+ years ( )
  missjomarch | Jul 29, 2014 |
I loved this book. I hated how the characters constantly missed each other throughout their lives but finally got together at the end. ( )
  supavixen | Jul 21, 2014 |
Where I got the book: my local library. A book club read. WARNING: A BIT SPOILERISH.
This novel kept me on my toes, and therefore interested. It started out with a fairly familiar trope, where the main character is recovering from an accident and can’t remember her life before, but as time goes on she realizes that people are keeping something from her. And then she begins to find letters hidden around her house, and realizes she had a lover—now who WAS that guy anyway?
So we began with a little mystery, and I kind of assumed that the story would center around Jennifer’s attempts to find out about her past. And then things got a little more interesting as we learned Jennifer’s husband was making his fortune by mining that new wonder material, asbestos.
Oh-oh. Nothing like a little historical hindsight to make the informed reader prick up her ears (although, I wonder, what of the generation that never had to worry about asbestos removal?) So OK, this novel was going to have a certain historical dimension, and being set in the early 60s it had that whole Mad Men double standard going—wives were expected to be decorative, good at housekeeping, eager to produce children and, above all, faithful, while men—well, if a man was playing the field, it was his wife’s fault for not keeping him interested. And everyone got to consume as much booze, smoke as many ciggies and pop as many pills as they liked, because there was nothing wrong with needing a little something to keep you going.
But then, before I was expected it to happen, we got into Jennifer’s Great Love Story, which was beautiful and tragic and poignant and all that. Only I began to feel like the author was making excuses for Jennifer—yes, her husband was a bore and a boor, but he hadn’t technically done anything wrong and her Great Love began to seem like the indulgence of a spoiled brat rather than a realistic relationship.
And then all of a sudden we jumped into the new millenium and INTO PRESENT TENSE and I was annoyed, because I was happy in Mad Men Land and wanted to hear more about the asbestos. You don’t get to mention asbestos without the reader expecting something nasty to happen. But there’s no asbestos in 2003, and who was this Ellie woman, mooning after the Man Who Very Obviously Will Not Leave His Wife instead of getting on and doing her job? I began to worry if this was going to be a novel about women whose entire object in life was to have affairs.
And then the story made a couple of abrupt right turns and came up with one major twist I really hadn’t anticipated, and a couple of minor ones, and by that point I was ready to give it five stars. I would knock off half a point for some poor grammar and expressions that didn’t belong to the Sixties if half points were allowed, but overall my final impression of this novel was of an entirely enjoyable read from the lighter end of the literary fiction pool. This is the kind of novel that goes down pretty quickly, so it’s not a bad choice to take to the beach or on a plane ride.
Although, now the glow of the last seventy or so pages has faded, I wish Moyes had made more of the asbestos thing, but that would have been a different type of novel. And I wish I’d been able to fall in love with the characters a bit more, but seriously it now seems to take about 2,000 pages for me to fall hard for a character, so YMMV if you’re less of a cynical old bat than I am. Anyway, five stars for being enjoyable and making me want to read it instead of doing something productive. ( )
1 vote JaneSteen | Jul 1, 2014 |
Or…HOW TO LOSE YOUR LOVER!!

This was a rather heartbreaking tale of lost love. While I do not condone extramarital affairs, this was just a book for entertainment purposes and it wasn’t difficult to root for Jennifer and Boot. Ellie and John, that’s a different story.

The story begins around 1960 in England. The beautiful Jennifer Stirling awakens in hospital to a life she doesn’t remember, to a life she feels she no longer fits into. Once she returns home to a lavish lifestyle and a wealthy, attractive husband, she is unable to find anything of comfort to her. Everything is unfamiliar and something feels off. Trying to come to terms with her memory lapse, Jennifer searches her surroundings for something that may help her know the woman that stares back at her from the mirror in her dressing area. She carefully handles the jewelry in front of her and realizes that she must live a glamorous life. She accesses the clothes in her closet and wonders where she wears the extravagant clothing. These are her belongings. Even when she touches them nothing can be recalled. Then, Jennifer eyes the books on a shelf and can vaguely remember plots of each. She picks up one that looks out of place and it is here where she finds the letter that will connect her to the life she knew before the accident.

2003. Ellie is having an affair with a married man that she allows to consume her every thought. She is a journalist and is desperately trying to hold on to that title. Her personal relationship with John has been interfering with her performance at work and she needs a great story to prove her self to a boss that has serious doubts about Ellie’s work ethics and commitments. She has been given an assignment, with a deadline, and she must uncover an archived piece of the past that will be interesting enough to sway her boss and readers. Not that easy when the newspaper she works for is relocating to a new building, boxes of information and years of papers are scattered everywhere and she has to enlist the help of an archive librarian named Rory. It is in these archived vaults of history that Ellie begins to question her relationship with the married man and the direction her life is headed in. It is here where Ellie finds the letter that will change her life.

This is a story about the decisions we make, the lives that are affected by those decisions, and how an indecisive moment of time can change the course of many lives. I did find there were times that the story kind of dragged on. Overall, it was well told. Interesting enough and Moyes has a way with heartbreaking love stories. ( )
  MaryEvelynLS | Jun 25, 2014 |
Loved everything about this book. Characters were wonderful, story was amazing, very well written. I had the hardest time putting this book down.

Car crash victim can't remember anything from before her accident, she just feels out of place. Until she finds a love letter from a man other than her husband that turns her world upside down.

Read this book! ( )
  bookwormteri | Jun 5, 2014 |
To Charles, who started it all with a paper message
She's waking up.

It is 1960. When Jennifer Stirling wakes up in the hospital, she can remember nothing-not the tragic car accident that put her there, not her husband, not even who she is. She feels like a stranger in her own life until she stumbles upon an impassioned letter, signed simply "B", asking her to leave her husband.

Years later, in 2003, a journalist named Ellie discovers the same enigmatic letter in a forgotten file in her newspaper's archives. She becomes obsessed by the story and hopeful that it can resurrect her faltering career. Perhaps if these lovers had a happy ending she will find one to her own complicated love life, too. Ellie's search will rewrite history and help her see the truth about her own modern romance.

A spellbinding, intoxicating love story with a knockout ending, The Last Letter from Your Lover will appeal to the readers who have made One Day and The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society bestsellers.

More than forty years after a car accident causes Jennifer Stirling to lose her memory on the day she planned to leave her husband for a mysterious lover, journalist Ellie becomes obsessed by the story and seeks the truth in the hopes of revitalizing her career.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,330,825 books! | Top bar: Always visible