The Last Letter from Your Lover: A Novel by…

The Last Letter from Your Lover: A Novel (original 2010; edition 2012)

by Jojo Moyes

Member:michellereads
Title:The Last Letter from Your Lover: A Novel
Authors:Jojo Moyes
Info:Penguin Books (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 416 pages
Rating:****1/2

The Last Letter from Your Lover by Jojo Moyes (2010)

English (57)  German (3)  English (60)
Not my usual read but it was very enjoyable. A woman wakes up in the hospital with no memory of her past. Once home, she finds a letter indicating she was in the middle of a great love affair. Several decades later, more of these letters turn up in newspaper archive, forcing one young journalist to question her own life and the relationship choices she's made.

As I said, not my usual thing but engaging. Would make a great book for the beach.

The British edition is so much prettier! Stupid American cover. ( )
  laurenbufferd | Nov 14, 2016 |
Liked, didn't love. Fun escapist read, but really a little too filled with near-misses and coincidence for me, and the ending was a bit cheesetastic. ( )
  gayla.bassham | Nov 7, 2016 |
Een niet eens zo slecht geschreven liefdesverhaal, of eigenlijk twee liefdesverhalen. Soms wat bombastisch geschreven. Een lekker tussendoortje, niet meer dan dat. ( )
  elsmvst | Sep 22, 2016 |
light summer book. listened to it on CD. confusing to figure out the different times for each chapter and the quotes are not always related. ending is a bit corny. ( )
  kakadoo202 | Jun 17, 2016 |
The novel opens when beautiful, rich Jennifer Stirling wakes up in a hospital room unable to remember anything. Nothing seems familiar, not even her husband. After she is released, she finds her house just as unfamiliar. As she explores the house she finds a series of carefully hidden love letters addressed to her and signed “B” which confirm her sense that her marriage was an unhappy one. But who was her lover? Circumstances intervene and forty years later, journalist Ellie Haworth uncovers a group of love letters signed “B” in the newspaper archives. The passion of the letters draw Ellie in. She can’t help but compare the intensity of the letters with the cryptic text messages she receives from John, a married man with whom she is having an affair.

I know Jojo Moyes has lots of fans so when I needed to read a book with a pink cover I thought this would be a great opportunity to check one out. Unfortunately, based on this book, it turns out I'm not one of her fans. I'm not sure if the reader is supposed to admire or identify with these two spoiled, self-absorbed women or take them as a caution. I'm not sure how Ellie could even keep a job. Jennifer is supposedly leaving her husband for her “soul mate” yet she can't even be bothered over the next forty years to see if he's really dead? Spare me! It was a boring, predictable story with miserable and unlikable characters. I understand from a friend that this “may not have been her best story” so I'm not saying I'll never pick up another one....it just won't be until the nausea subsides that was brought on by this one.
  Olivermagnus | Jun 16, 2016 |
To Charles, who started it all with a paper message
She's waking up.

It is 1960. When Jennifer Stirling wakes up in the hospital, she can remember nothing-not the tragic car accident that put her there, not her husband, not even who she is. She feels like a stranger in her own life until she stumbles upon an impassioned letter, signed simply "B", asking her to leave her husband.

Years later, in 2003, a journalist named Ellie discovers the same enigmatic letter in a forgotten file in her newspaper's archives. She becomes obsessed by the story and hopeful that it can resurrect her faltering career. Perhaps if these lovers had a happy ending she will find one to her own complicated love life, too. Ellie's search will rewrite history and help her see the truth about her own modern romance.

A spellbinding, intoxicating love story with a knockout ending, The Last Letter from Your Lover will appeal to the readers who have made One Day and The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society bestsellers.

More than forty years after a car accident causes Jennifer Stirling to lose her memory on the day she planned to leave her husband for a mysterious lover, journalist Ellie becomes obsessed by the story and seeks the truth in the hopes of revitalizing hercareer.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,613,435 books! | Top bar: Always visible