dismiss

Deadline (Newsflesh, Book 2) by Mira Grant

Deadline (Newsflesh, Book 2)

by Mira Grant

Series: Newsflesh (2)

When a CDC researcher, after faking her own death, arrives on his doorstep with a ravenous pack of zombies in tow, Shaun Mason, the head of a news organization, is plunged into the biggest story of his life.
    Feed (Newsflesh, Book 1) by Mira Grant (bikeracer4487)
    bikeracer4487: 1st book in the Newsflesh series (START HERE)
    World War Z by Max Brooks (bikeracer4487)
    Blackout by Mira Grant (bikeracer4487)
    bikeracer4487: 3rd and final book in the Newsflesh series

Not the five star read I remembered, which is sad.

Shaun's casual violence bothered me more this time around.

Particularly when I checked on the author's tumblr - which I unfollowed a while back because Annoying - and found, only a short way in, a response to an ask that also condoned punching people who irritate you

The repetition of scenarios and phrases got more grating. The endless wisecracks got more grating.

Most of the plotting can be put in the "eh, seems iffy but there's a book left to tie it all together" category.

Three stars and a sad face. ( )
  a-shelf-apart | May 4, 2020 |
Another great novel in the Newsflesh series. While it might not have been as strong as the first novel, I still enjoyed it almost as much.
Shaun Mason’s grief is a little too much, he’s way too devastated to have lost a sister. Also he is way too angry, and I wouldn’t think that his talking to his dead sister in his head, and his punching walls and coworkers would be put up with quite as much as the staff he works with has done. But it was, and they all moved on, so I will too.
The constant Coke drinking was way too much, also. But while these are small things, they didn’t mar my enjoyment of the novel too much.

*SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS*

I figured out the one twist when the CDC researcher ended up on their doorstep and started talking about having a clone. This was confirmed at the end of this second novel.
The other twist I’d been wondering about ever since the first novel. Shaun’s refusal to outright confirm it, and his dancing around the subject otherwise, leads me to think I am correct about this twist as well. I’m guessing since it wasn’t outright confirmed in this novel, it will be in the next one. (Maybe it was and I wasn’t able to pay attention as well as I would have liked. Family members made me keep stopping my listening of this novel to speak to me, and things get muddled easily).

Anyway, Chris Patton and Nell Geislinger were the Narrators of this audiobook. I didn’t like them as much as the narrators if the first novel, and I wish that Hachette Audio had kept the other two from the first novel. These narrators didn’t sound like young adults at all, and it was weird going from one set of narrators to a second completely different ones.

4 stars, and recommended. BUT ONLY IF YOU READ THR FIRST NOVEL IN YHE SERIES, BEFORE THIS ONE. Thank you. ( )
  stephanie_M | Apr 30, 2020 |
I was absolutely in love with Feed, but I found this sequel less engaging. I enjoyed it, but it does not live up to Feed in shock and excitement. ( )
  ChelseaMcE | Mar 19, 2020 |
Interesting escalation. Though I'm not entirely sure it either: worked, or I understood it.
The plot point of reservoir conditions seemed to fade away (even while it stayed as a motivation).
I certainly enjoyed it, however! ( )
  Loryndalar | Mar 19, 2020 |
Holy shit this was miles better than Feed, which I strongly disliked. As in, even though SK disliked Feed even more than I did, I am still going to make her read this because holy shit. I still don't particularly at all like Shaun, and am ambivalent about most of the other characters, yet this was still pretty fucking great.

Maybe I will have coherent thoughts about what makes it so much better tomorrow, maybe not! WE WILL SEE. ( )
  thewanlorn | Feb 24, 2020 |

Grant, Miraprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Panepinto, LaurenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I am honored to dedicate this book to
Brooke Amber Lunderville
and
Rae Hanson.

The Rising would have been very different without them.
Our story opens where countless stories have ended in the last twenty-seven years: with an idiot—in this case, Rebecca Atherton, head of the After the End Times Irwins, winner of the Golden Steve-o Award for valor in the face of the undead—deciding it would be a good idea to go out and poke a zombie with a stick to see what happens.

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,257,664 books! | Top bar: Always visible