Deadline (Newsflesh, Book 2) by Mira Grant

Deadline (Newsflesh, Book 2) (edition 2011)

by Mira Grant

When a CDC researcher, after faking her own death, arrives on his doorstep with a ravenous pack of zombies in tow, Shaun Mason, the head of a news organization, is plunged into the biggest story of his life.
Member:Theodosia
Title:Deadline (Newsflesh, Book 2)
Authors:Mira Grant
Info:Orbit (2011), Edition: 1, Mass Market Paperback, 624 pages
Tags:sf horror friend

Deadline (Newsflesh, Book 2) by Mira Grant

Feed (Newsflesh, Book 1) by Mira Grant (bikeracer4487)
    bikeracer4487: 1st book in the Newsflesh series (START HERE)
    World War Z by Max Brooks (bikeracer4487)
    Blackout by Mira Grant (bikeracer4487)
    bikeracer4487: 3rd and final book in the Newsflesh series

Deadline (Newsflesh #2)
by Mira Grant
2011
Orbit
4.0 / 5.0

The first novel in this series, 'Feed', introduced us to, and is centered more on the individual characters. 'Deadline', the second book of the 'Newsflesh' series, delves into the history of the conspiracies and we learn more about the different types of journalists- the newsies, Irwins and Fictionals. We learn more about the zombie virus (Kellis-Amberlee or KA) and how it works. We meet Maggies miniature Bulldogs and take a dangerous trip from Weed, California to Memphis, Tennessee.There is alot of action and interaction that drives the conspiracy and this novel.

The narrator, and main character in this book is Shaun, who is obsessed with his sister that he killed, and now constantly carries on conversations with her ghost, and is always drinking a coke. (đŸ¥°). He is learning to fight the zombie phenomenon.

Shaun returns to the outside to try to save two of his employees from the zombies. When a visitor from the CDC arrives with life changing news, it also changes their focus. The conspiracy is even worse than they thought and the cure is known and available, but is being withheld by the CDC and used for their experiments. Not for the greater good. The CDC needs to defend their knowledge and keep the After The End Times bloggers from the truth. The tyranny, mayhem and conspiracy builds each chapter, as the CDC fight the bloggers. The pace is fast, furious and exciting. The world and character building is extraordinary. A plot that only thickens-I could not put this down. I had to keep reading because I want to know the answers. I want to find out the truth. I want to know how it all began.

This is amazing. I can't get enough. There are short novellas between books, with more info and alternative endings that I hope to find. I'm all in for Newsflesh! ( )
  over.the.edge | Jan 8, 2020 |
Okay, yeah, it's a zombie book. But it's (the second in a series of) zombie book(s) about journalists far enough from the date of the outbreak that human society has grown around the zombie phenomena, that we've shrugged and adjusted to the same way we've shrugged and adjusted to antibiotic-resistant flesh-eating bacteria. Light reading, a ton of fun, just like the first one.

Though, I gotta say this one focuses far more on the conspiracy that sort of lurked around the edges of the first book. I hadn't read the first one in ages, so I was a little shady on the events of the first book. I actually debated putting it down and re-reading the first, but I got too wrapped up with the second and after the first few chapters, the references to Things Previously abated (or flew so high above my head that I didn't notice them).

There's less action here, but the pacing is better. I had a hard time putting this book down, while I felt that there were some distinct slow spots on the campaign trail in the first. I am super-duper excited for the next book, for reasons which would be HUGE SPOILERS. ( )
  prufrockcoat | Dec 3, 2019 |
I'm not a big fan of Shaun's narration (seriously, he mentions so many times how much he wanted to punch someone in the face that I wanted to punch him in the face), and his and George's relationship is creepy (which, yes, they aren't related by blood, but they acknowledge each other brother and sister over and over again, so, *shiver* gross), but the world building is fantastic, and we learn more about how the world, and the zombie virus works. The side characters are fun, and the ending really makes me want to read "Blackout." How conflicting. Probably more of a 2 1/2 star book.

More in depth narration to come.

EDIT-So, after reading Blackout, I have a definitive ranking of the Newsflesh trilogy series, ranked best to worst.
1. Feed
2. Blackout
3. Deadline

Deadline expanded on the world created in [b:Feed|7094569|Feed (Newsflesh, #1)|Mira Grant|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1408500437s/7094569.jpg|7351419], and we learned more about the side characters and their histories. Shaun is my least favorite character in the series, so a book narrated by him was never going to be a completely enjoyable experience for me. The plot was all right, but nothing that really stood out. Again, the world building was the best part of this book. Seriously, someone needs to make a miniseries of these books! ( )
  rkcraig88 | Jul 15, 2019 |
This series is very engaging. The two novella prequels, which can stand on their own, are really, really good. The first book hooked me with its fast pace, the interactions between the characters and the characters themselves. Its ending was very hard.
The second book, this one, was a little less good in my opinion. It was as if the book had the same pattern repeated several times (3? I don't remember): our bloggers stumble on a situation (or create it) and have to leave in a "hurry". But I didn't expect th ending at all. What a cliffhanger! ( )
  Sept | May 21, 2019 |
Holy. Crap. ( )
  ladypembroke | May 17, 2019 |

Grant, Miraprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Panepinto, LaurenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I am honored to dedicate this book to
Brooke Amber Lunderville
and
Rae Hanson.

The Rising would have been very different without them.
Our story opens where countless stories have ended in the last twenty-seven years: with an idiot—in this case, Rebecca Atherton, head of the After the End Times Irwins, winner of the Golden Steve-o Award for valor in the face of the undead—deciding it would be a good idea to go out and poke a zombie with a stick to see what happens.

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,384,677 books! | Top bar: Always visible