Witches of East End (The Beauchamp Family,…

Witches of East End (The Beauchamp Family, #1) (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Melissa De la Cruz

Member:DTChantel
Title:Witches of East End (The Beauchamp Family, #1)
Authors:Melissa De la Cruz
Info:Disney-Hyperion, Paperback, 272 pages
Tags:2012-read

Witches of East End by Melissa De la Cruz (2011)

English (100)  Italian (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (102)
Witches of East End is a fun read that is hard to put down and written so that you know what each of the main characters is like. A must read for those whom love magic. ( )
  Preston.Kringle | Nov 23, 2018 |
This one was a pretty fun, light read. Not one of my favorites (hence the 4 stars), but I really enjoyed it overall. Not a book to be taken very seriously or to analyze in-depth (it'll leave you disappointed if that's the way you decide to approach it). Easy afternoon read and pleasantly enjoyable if the "witchy" genre is your thing. ( )
  justagirlwithabook | Aug 1, 2018 |

Fun. Very lightweight and quick. Beach read type book. ( )
  TheBibliophage | Mar 20, 2018 |
Dreadful hog-swill, balderdash....I know, I know, I could have just closed the covers instead of wasting my time reading this trite, poorly written drivel. ( )
  maryhollis | Feb 20, 2017 |
I really enjoyed the TV series on Lifetime and was a little bummed it was canceled after the 2nd season, especially since it ended super abruptly with no closure. Alas, the book was just okay. I don’t really have a lot to say about it one way or the other. The story in the book was just not as interesting as the show and I liked the character’s personalities in the show rather than the book. Maybe if I had read the book before seeing the show I would have liked it better? I can’t really say. One thing in the book’s favor is that it is pretty darn short so at least it wasn’t a big waste of time. ( )
  pennma05 | Jul 21, 2016 |
A decidedly weird mishmash of mythologies, a serpentine plot and a thicket of back stories intertwine as de la Cruz sets up the continuing saga, but it all gels magnificently.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (May 1, 2011)

"When shall we three meet again,
In thunder, lighting or in rain?
When the burlyburly's done,
When the battle's lost and won..." - Shakespeare's Macbeth

"Must be the season of the witch." - Luna

"It is possible that some Waelcyrgean chose to abandon
Valhalla and settle in various parts of the country, where
they began a new existence as witches." - from Encyclopedia of Things That Never Were by Michael Page and Robert Ingpen
To my family
North Hampton did not exist on any map, which made locating the small, insular community on the very edge of the Atlantic coast something of a conundrum to outsides, who were known to wander in by chance only to find it impossible to return; so that the place, with its remarkably empty silver-sand beaches, rolling green fields, and imposing, rambling farmhouses, became more of a half-remembered dream than a memory.

It's September in the fictional Hamptons town of East End, a self-contained community that seems to be stuck in time. A fantasy world, East End is soon torn apart by a rivalry between the resident warlocks and the witches.

Witches of East End follows the Beauchamp women - Joanna, Freya, and Ingrid - after their curious arrival in the city. Freya has a charm or a potion cure for every kind of heartache, while Ingrid has the ability to read minds. Joanna, on the other hand, is the witch to see when modern medicine has no more answers. Everything seems to be going smoothly until a young girl, Gemma Caldwell, turns up dead. Suddenly, the town's residents begin disappearing, and everyone seems to have the same suspects in mind: the Beauchamp girls.

Fraught with love affairs, witch-craft, and a solid battle of good versus evil, Witches of East End is sure to capture any reader who craves a well-written, page-turning, heart-stopping story.

Joanna and her daughters Freya and Ingrid live in North Hampton, out on the tip of Long Island. All three women lead seemingly quiet, uneventful existences. But they are harboring a mighty secret-- they are powerful witches banned from using their magic. When mysterious, violent attacks begin to plague the town and a young girl disappears over the Fourth of July weekend, they realize it's time to uncover who and what dark forces are working against them.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Melissa De la Cruz's book Witches of East End was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,918,335 books! | Top bar: Always visible