C is for Corpse by Sue Grafton

C is for Corpse

by Sue Grafton (Author)

Series: The Alphabet Mysteries (3)

English (33)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (35)
One of the things I love about the Kinsey Milhone series is that they are anything but formulaic. Every story is new and fresh.

The case Kinsey has taken on is brought to her by a young man who was nearly killed in a automobile accident. Everyone believes it was just an accident except the boy himself. He's sure he was being targeted by a murderer. And sure enough, a few days later he is dead. Kinsey is determined to find the killer she was hired to find, even if the client his dead. His family, which she become very involved with, is a cast of sad and needy characters.

The side story of Kinsey dealing with a new member of their neighborhood is a nice way of making Kinsey something more than just a private detective. She's a person in a neighborhood and a community with friends and connections. There is nice continuity with her lunch with a former love interest. The main mystery is interesting and different, the side stories have lots of complex characters and settings. This is one I'll read again. ( )
  Mrsbaty | Jan 15, 2014 |
This is the third book in the "Alphabet Mystery" series. I have been pretty hard on the last two books. They were weirdly written, poorly characterized (in my opinion), and not well plotted. Does this book change those thoughts?

Um, kind-of? I guess. I found this book to be better at hiding the mystery. By that I mean I didn't guess the bad guy five seconds after starting the book. I even liked Kinsey more. She came across better in this book. He internal monologs are still kind of tedious to read about though, since she often focuses on the strangest things. Maybe I have a it of Stockholm Syndrome going on, but I might actually get some other books to see if they get better as they go along.

So, all-in-all bot a bad book. I still only think it is worth a 2 (maybe 2 1/2) star rating as i still think its pretty average and not great. ( )
  Sarah_Buckley | Jan 3, 2014 |
The mystery was well thought out and suitably complicated, but I didn't feel like there was much sense of tension. Kinsey unravels the clues, but the ending seems like it is just the requisite "put the hero in a tight spot" scene. Still haven't really connected with Kinsey ... ( )
  tjsjohanna | Sep 26, 2013 |
  cmakny | Aug 14, 2013 |
Plot A was believable and moving. Kinsey's dedication to find and give herself and Glen closure, to give sense to Bobby's murder is compelling and very readable. It aged with grace and can be read for what it is a mystery set in the mid to late eighties.

Plot B was predictable and is the part I remembered of the novel. I read Kinsey's Alphabet mysteries in the mid 1990's. I did figure out who the culprit was eventually. Still the twists and turns of plot A, the secondary characters, especially Glen, Bobby and the return of Jonah for a cameo made this a worth while reread ( )
  writerlibrarian | Apr 15, 2013 |

Grafton, SueAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kagan, AbbyCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kannosto, HeikkiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kaye, JudyReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tóth, IngridTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For the children who chose me:
Leslie, Jay and Jamie
I met Bobby Callahan on Monday of that week.
COPYRIGHT PAGE NOTICES:

All rights reserved, including the right to reproduce this book or portions thereof in any form.

Published simultaneously in Canada.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312939019, Mass Market Paperback)

How do you go about solving an attempted murder when the victim has lost a good part of his memory? It's one of Kinsey's toughest cases yet, but she never backs down from a challenge. Twenty-three-year-old Bobby Callahan is lucky to be alive after a car forced his Porsche over a bridge and into a canyon. The crash left Bobby with a clouded memory. But he can't shake the feeling it was no random accident and that he's still in danger…

The only clues Kinsey has to go on are a little red address book and the name "Blackman." Bobby can't remember who he gave the address book to for safekeeping. And any chances of Bobby regaining his memory are dashed when he's killed in another automobile accident just three days after he hires Kinsey.

As Kinsey digs deeper into her investigation, she discovers Bobby had a secret worth killing for--and unearthing that secret could send Kinsey to her own early death…

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:31 -0400)

Fearing that the assailant who had once tried to kill him--and had left him badly scarred and partially amnesiac--would again try to murder him, Bobby Callahan turns to Kinsey Millhone for help.

Six editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,465,226 books! | Top bar: Always visible