C is for Corpse (The Kinsey Millhone…

"C" is for Corpse (The Kinsey Millhone Alphabet Mysteries)

by Sue Grafton

Series: The Alphabet Mysteries (3)

English (36)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (38)
I think this book was better than the first two, although not by much. I thought the plot was better (yet still a bit ridiculous) and I found some of Kinsey's thoughts quite witty. I found the ending a little tiresome- is it possible for Kinsey to solve a crime without nearly dying in the process? ( )
  martensgirl | Jul 10, 2015 |
PI Kinsey Millhone is approached at the gym by Bobby Callahan, who thinks someone tried to kill him. Bobby was injured in a car accident in which he believes someone tried to run him off a cliff. Unfortunately Bobby's injuries also damaged his brain and he can't remember many details about what he was involved in. Kinsey takes the case and begins unraveling the story.
Kinsey is a spunky heroine, not without flaws, and who tends to put herself in more danger than she ought. Grafton sprinkles clues throughout the investigation, but not enough for the reader to identify the killer prior to the climactic ending. ( )
  EmScape | Apr 19, 2015 |
Was a fun experience. Liked that Kinsey the main character keeps searching for the killer even after her client is deceased. Had lots of twists and turns throughout the book and kept me guessing towards til the end of the book. ( )
  ChrisWeir | Dec 8, 2014 |
One of the things I love about the Kinsey Milhone series is that they are anything but formulaic. Every story is new and fresh.

The case Kinsey has taken on is brought to her by a young man who was nearly killed in a automobile accident. Everyone believes it was just an accident except the boy himself. He's sure he was being targeted by a murderer. And sure enough, a few days later he is dead. Kinsey is determined to find the killer she was hired to find, even if the client his dead. His family, which she become very involved with, is a cast of sad and needy characters.

The side story of Kinsey dealing with a new member of their neighborhood is a nice way of making Kinsey something more than just a private detective. She's a person in a neighborhood and a community with friends and connections. There is nice continuity with her lunch with a former love interest. The main mystery is interesting and different, the side stories have lots of complex characters and settings. This is one I'll read again. ( )
  Mrsbaty | Jan 15, 2014 |
This is the third book in the "Alphabet Mystery" series. I have been pretty hard on the last two books. They were weirdly written, poorly characterized (in my opinion), and not well plotted. Does this book change those thoughts?

Um, kind-of? I guess. I found this book to be better at hiding the mystery. By that I mean I didn't guess the bad guy five seconds after starting the book. I even liked Kinsey more. She came across better in this book. He internal monologs are still kind of tedious to read about though, since she often focuses on the strangest things. Maybe I have a it of Stockholm Syndrome going on, but I might actually get some other books to see if they get better as they go along.

So, all-in-all bot a bad book. I still only think it is worth a 2 (maybe 2 1/2) star rating as i still think its pretty average and not great. ( )
  Sarah_Buckley | Jan 3, 2014 |

Grafton, Sueprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kagan, AbbyCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kannosto, HeikkiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kaye, JudyReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moya, Antonio-PrometeoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tóth, IngridTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For the children who chose me:
Leslie, Jay and Jamie
I met Bobby Callahan on Monday of that week.

All rights reserved, including the right to reproduce this book or portions thereof in any form.

Published simultaneously in Canada.
Abridged audiobook: ISBN 0739357913

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312939019, Mass Market Paperback)

How do you go about solving an attempted murder when the victim has lost a good part of his memory? It's one of Kinsey's toughest cases yet, but she never backs down from a challenge. Twenty-three-year-old Bobby Callahan is lucky to be alive after a car forced his Porsche over a bridge and into a canyon. The crash left Bobby with a clouded memory. But he can't shake the feeling it was no random accident and that he's still in danger…

The only clues Kinsey has to go on are a little red address book and the name "Blackman." Bobby can't remember who he gave the address book to for safekeeping. And any chances of Bobby regaining his memory are dashed when he's killed in another automobile accident just three days after he hires Kinsey.

As Kinsey digs deeper into her investigation, she discovers Bobby had a secret worth killing for--and unearthing that secret could send Kinsey to her own early death…

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:38 -0400)

Fearing that the assailant who had once tried to kill him--and had left him badly scarred and partially amnesiac--would again try to murder him, Bobby Callahan turns to Kinsey Millhone for help.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,788,196 books! | Top bar: Always visible