Anne Frank: The Anne Frank House Authorized…

Anne Frank: The Anne Frank House Authorized Graphic Biography

by Sid Jacobson, Ernie Colón, Ernie Colón (Author), Ernie Colón

2091655,966 (3.87)8

English (15)  Dutch (1)  All languages (16)
RGG: It's a graphic biography, not a grapic version of Anne Frank's Diary, meaning it lacks emotional intensity, but it does provide to the reader who pays attention a lot of context knowledge. Reading Interest: 10-12.
  rgruberexcel | Apr 24, 2016 |
One of my favorite books from my childhood was The Diary of Anne Frank, so I knew that I would find a graphic biography of her life fascinating. This graphic novel goes above and beyond, detailing her life beginning before the rise of the Nazi Movement to beyond her death and the eventual publishing of her diary. Having her life detailed in picture brought a new meaning and emotion to her story, which is obviously harrowing. The illustrations are excellent here, and the layout reminds me of the comics that you would find in a newspaper, which is a really interesting format. I would love to see this book used in a classroom setting while teaching history either as an addition to The Novel or possibly as a substitution for The Novel, as I found it equally as affecting. ( )
  mpielak | Mar 11, 2016 |
This book first begins with the lives of Anne Frank’s parents that led into the years after World War II. I think the original Anne Frank’s Diary of a Young Girl offers more emotion for readers young or old, whereas this graphic novel lacks the great emotion that comes with Anne's first-person account/narrative. The information is presented in more of a straight-forward impersonal style. I found the maps and diagrams enclosed in this book interesting, and I appreciated the detailed diagrams and images of the annex where Anne and her family hid for 2 years. The “snapshots” shown throughout the book were interesting and provided an abundance of background information, such as: life in Germany during World War I, info on the German economic crisis and the rise of the Nazi party, the Wannsee Conference, and the concentration camps. I think the artwork could have been better, however. The art is a realistic approach which is appropriate and disturbing at times, but something about the art could have been more refined or offered more movement. This book also includes a Chronology near the back and suggestions for further reading. I feel that this version of teaching young readers about Anne's sad story and the atrocities that occurred is best for children or people who prefer learning more visually. I think my favorite part of this book was the information given about Anne's father Otto, with real quotes from him. The book gives life to him by describing the type of man he was and the level of respect he drew from those around him. The book reveals how he personally responded to a great many of the letters he received from readers after the first publication of Anne's diary. It was so nice to read about his hopes that Anne's book will have an effect on peoples lives and promote unity and peace, because it has had a profound effect on millions and fortunately doesn't seem to be fading away anytime soon.
  knorthway | Mar 10, 2016 |
If you've read "A Diary of Anne Frank," this graphic novel account of the Frank family provides a fresh perspective. If you've never read the diary, this may inspire you to pick it up. Never overwhelming or dry, this work provides the historical background for the times and the stark realities of being Jewish during WW2. It also shows the regular life of the Franks including birthdays, moving to a new home, and social gatherings. Well done! ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
Most people will already be familiar with the story of Anne Frank from her famous diary in book format. This graphic novel covers her story, one of a girl who hides with her family in a hidden annex at her father's business during World War II. However, it also provides historical background interwoven with details from her diary. I was especially impressed with the snapshot sections which gave readers more background on topics such as the concentration camps and Nuremberg for example. This is an engaging graphic novel. The only thing I didn't particularly like were some of the illustrations; I found that Anne sometimes looked very different from frame to frame. This graphic novel is recommended for anyone interested in the holocaust, certainly it would be appropriate for late elementary and all high school students because the text and images make it easy to access the content of the story while the content itself will still appeal to older readers. ( )
  AleashaKachel | Jan 31, 2015 |
This account was created with the full cooperation of the Anne Frank House in Amsterdam. Historical contexts, maps, charts, and time lines make the story useful for all ages as a starting point for meeting the plucky Anne as not only memorializer of the Holocaust but also a delightful, perceptive heroine in her own right. The color art is attractive and evocative. An essential purchase.
added by sduff222 | editLibrary Journal, M.C. (Jan 15, 2011)

Sid Jacobsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Colón, Erniemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Colón, ErnieAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Colón, Erniemain authorall editionsconfirmed
I would like to dedicate this book to my children, Seth and Kathy, who but for the
fortune of time and place could have suffered the tragic fate of the
young sisters you are about to meet.
-SID JACOBSON
Watching my daughters grow into young women gave me a deep sense of what
Anne Frank and her sister Margot missed and what a loss they were to us all.
This one is for Amanda, Luisa, and Rebecca.
-ERNIE COLON
"Have I ever told you anything about our family?" Anne Frank asked her diary on May 8, 1944.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0809026856, Paperback)

Product Description
Drawing on the unique historical sites, archives, expertise, and unquestioned authority of the Anne Frank House in Amsterdam, New York Times bestselling authors Sid Jacobson and Ernie Colón have created the first authorized and exhaustive graphic biography of Anne Frank. Their account is complete, covering the lives of Anne’s parents, Edith and Otto; Anne's first years in Frankfurt; the rise of Nazism; the Franks' immigration to Amsterdam; war and occupation; Anne's years in the Secret Annex; betrayal and arrest; her deportation and tragic death in Bergen-Belsen; the survival of Anne's father; and his recovery and publication of her astounding diary.

A Look Inside Anne Frank: The Anne Frank House Authorized Graphic Biography
(Click on Images to Enlarge)

The Nazi party rises to power Hitler becomes Chancellor Hope in the Annex Anne Frank’s first kiss

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:36 -0400)

"Drawing on the unique historical sites, archives, expertise, and unquestioned authority of the Anne Frank House in Amsterdam, the New York Times bestselling authors Sid Jacobson and Ernie Colon have created the first authorized graphic biography of Anne Frank. Their account is complete, covering the lives of Anne's parents, Edith and Otto; Anne's first years in Frankfurt; the rise of Nazism; the Franks' immigration to Amsterdam; war and occupation; Anne's years in the Secret Annex; betrayal and arrest; her deportation and tragic death in Bergen-Belson; the survival of Anne's father; and his recovery and publication of her astounding diary. Carefully researched for historical authenticity, the book includes numerous panels featuring images that have been painstakingly adapted from rare photographs of Anne and her family. A remarkable collaboration of talent, Anne Frank: The Anne Frank House Authorized Graphic Biography not only reflects the dedication of its authors but marks another milestone in the evolution of graphic nonfiction"--Cover, p. 2.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,259,402 books! | Top bar: Always visible