Anne Frank: The Anne Frank House Authorized…

Anne Frank: The Anne Frank House Authorized Graphic Biography

by Sid Jacobson, Ernie Colón (Author), Ernie Colón, Ernie Colón

1961260,038 (3.86)8

English (11)  Dutch (1)  All languages (12)
Most people will already be familiar with the story of Anne Frank from her famous diary in book format. This graphic novel covers her story, one of a girl who hides with her family in a hidden annex at her father's business during World War II. However, it also provides historical background interwoven with details from her diary. I was especially impressed with the snapshot sections which gave readers more background on topics such as the concentration camps and Nuremberg for example. This is an engaging graphic novel. The only thing I didn't particularly like were some of the illustrations; I found that Anne sometimes looked very different from frame to frame. This graphic novel is recommended for anyone interested in the holocaust, certainly it would be appropriate for late elementary and all high school students because the text and images make it easy to access the content of the story while the content itself will still appeal to older readers. ( )
  AleashaKachel | Jan 31, 2015 |
Excellent rendition of the original diary. ( )
  MathMaverick | Dec 20, 2014 |
Sid Jacobson and Ernie Colon have created a graphic adaptation of The Diary of Anne Frank. This is the first hand account of Anne Frank and her family when they had to relocate out of Germany to the Netherlands during the time of the Nazi occupation.
  EmKel753 | Dec 2, 2014 |
Excellent version of how The Diary of a Young Girl came to be. The art isn't amazing, but since the authors created it in cooperation with Anne Frank Huis in Amsterdam, the research is solid and the story, naturally, is extremely heartfelt. The incorporation of historical information alongside the events in the house makes it easier to place each event in the correct context. And, of course, make it all the sadder that the family would probably had been saved had they only been able to keep hidden for just a short while longer. This would make an excellent introduction to the diary (since it also covers the time before and after its writing), although not a replacement - Anne's writing is much too strong for that. ( )
  -Eva- | Jul 12, 2014 |
The facts and information in this graphic novel are great. I've read the Diary of Anne Frank three times (twice for myself and once for school) and from this biography I learned a lot of new details about Anne's life prior to when her family went into hiding. The book starts when Anne's parents marry and continues until her father's death in 1980.

However, I didn't care for the style of art in this graphic novel. I love graphic novels and I think they are a great way to teach kids and keep their attention. The art on the cover is nothing like the art in the book. And as another reviewer wrote, sometimes the dialog boxes seemed misplaced, and I'd read them out of order and have to go back over them. So, that's why this book gets four stars instead of five.

Overall, it'd make a good companion book to a class who's reading the Diary of Anne Frank. ( )
  vonze | Feb 6, 2014 |
This account was created with the full cooperation of the Anne Frank House in Amsterdam. Historical contexts, maps, charts, and time lines make the story useful for all ages as a starting point for meeting the plucky Anne as not only memorializer of the Holocaust but also a delightful, perceptive heroine in her own right. The color art is attractive and evocative. An essential purchase.
added by sduff222 | editLibrary Journal, M.C. (Jan 15, 2011)

Sid Jacobsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Colón, ErnieAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Colón, Erniemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Colón, Erniemain authorall editionsconfirmed
I would like to dedicate this book to my children, Seth and Kathy, who but for the
fortune of time and place could have suffered the tragic fate of the
young sisters you are about to meet.
-SID JACOBSON
Watching my daughters grow into young women gave me a deep sense of what
Anne Frank and her sister Margot missed and what a loss they were to us all.
This one is for Amanda, Luisa, and Rebecca.
-ERNIE COLON
"Have I ever told you anything about our family?" Anne Frank asked her diary on May 8, 1944.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0809026856, Paperback)

Product Description
Drawing on the unique historical sites, archives, expertise, and unquestioned authority of the Anne Frank House in Amsterdam, New York Times bestselling authors Sid Jacobson and Ernie Colón have created the first authorized and exhaustive graphic biography of Anne Frank. Their account is complete, covering the lives of Anne’s parents, Edith and Otto; Anne's first years in Frankfurt; the rise of Nazism; the Franks' immigration to Amsterdam; war and occupation; Anne's years in the Secret Annex; betrayal and arrest; her deportation and tragic death in Bergen-Belsen; the survival of Anne's father; and his recovery and publication of her astounding diary.

A Look Inside Anne Frank: The Anne Frank House Authorized Graphic Biography
(Click on Images to Enlarge)

The Nazi party rises to power Hitler becomes Chancellor Hope in the Annex Anne Frank’s first kiss

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:36 -0400)

"Drawing on the unique historical sites, archives, expertise, and unquestioned authority of the Anne Frank House in Amsterdam, the New York Times bestselling authors Sid Jacobson and Ernie Colon have created the first authorized graphic biography of Anne Frank. Their account is complete, covering the lives of Anne's parents, Edith and Otto; Anne's first years in Frankfurt; the rise of Nazism; the Franks' immigration to Amsterdam; war and occupation; Anne's years in the Secret Annex; betrayal and arrest; her deportation and tragic death in Bergen-Belson; the survival of Anne's father; and his recovery and publication of her astounding diary. Carefully researched for historical authenticity, the book includes numerous panels featuring images that have been painstakingly adapted from rare photographs of Anne and her family. A remarkable collaboration of talent, Anne Frank: The Anne Frank House Authorized Graphic Biography not only reflects the dedication of its authors but marks another milestone in the evolution of graphic nonfiction"--Cover, p. 2.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,482,302 books! | Top bar: Always visible