Anne Frank: The Anne Frank House Authorized…

Anne Frank: The Anne Frank House Authorized Graphic Biography

by Sid Jacobson, Ernie Colón (Author)

172None69,338 (3.85)8

The facts and information in this graphic novel are great. I've read the Diary of Anne Frank three times (twice for myself and once for school) and from this biography I learned a lot of new details about Anne's life prior to when her family went into hiding. The book starts when Anne's parents marry and continues until her father's death in 1980.

However, I didn't care for the style of art in this graphic novel. I love graphic novels and I think they are a great way to teach kids and keep their attention. The art on the cover is nothing like the art in the book. And as another reviewer wrote, sometimes the dialog boxes seemed misplaced, and I'd read them out of order and have to go back over them. So, that's why this book gets four stars instead of five.

Overall, it'd make a good companion book to a class who's reading the Diary of Anne Frank. ( )
  vonze | Feb 6, 2014 |
This is a wonderful graphic biography of Anne Frank and her family, endorsed by The Anne Frank Center USA and the Anne Frank House of Amsterdam. Utilizing authentic materials from the Anne Frank House, this graphic biography replicated photos of the Frank family into story, interweaving historical timeline events with the family’s lives. Using “Snapshots”, they gave background information such as Nazi’s eventual growth into political power. The graphics are very well done and rich with details. I particularly liked that the story started with the beginning of Frank Otto and Edith Hollander’s meeting and marriage, laying the background of the family history before moving onto Anne herself, our heroine – full name: Annelies Marie Frank. The authors also included quotes about members of the family, beyond Anne, which made them relatable, not just facts.

It’s amazing to be reminded that the families went into hiding for 2+ years. Hats off to the 5 brave individuals who cared for them, provided their food and needs, and arranged presents for holidays and birthdays, kept Frank Otto’s company afloat and returned it to him upon his return. Johannes Kleiman, Miep Gies, Jan Gies, Victor Kugler, Bep Voskuijl – unsung heroes. From Anne: “Never have they uttered a single word about the burden we must be… They come upstairs every day and talk… Put on their most cheerful expressions… And are always ready to do what they can. While others display their heroism in battle or against the Germans, our helpers prove theirs every day by their good spirits and affection.”

After Frank Otto’s release and reading the diary for the first time, he notes, “Never had I imaged the depths of her thoughts and feelings.” From Anne: “I don’t believe the War is simply the work of politicians and capitalists. Oh, no, the common man is every bit as guilty. The time will come when we’ll be people again and not just Jews!” And “… Looking at the sky, the clouds, the moon, and the stars really does make me feel calm and hopeful… Nature makes me feel humble and ready to face every blow with courage!” ( )
1 vote varwenea | Jun 7, 2013 |
This graphic biography compellingly depicts the life and legacy of Anne Frank. Some Frank family history, some broader historical context, Anne’s childhood leading up to World War Two, the span of her diary, and afterward are all within the scope of this book. The broader historical context of Anne’s time is chronologically interwoven in her life, which is again presented in a chronology section. The Anne Frank House Authorization of this book ensures its accuracy. Speech and thought balloons are taken directly from Anne’s diary when applicable, and also from the interviews of witnesses to the final seven months of Anne’s life. Likewise, the illustrations are occasionally translated from pictures, such as the illustration of Edith Frank holding Anne shortly after Anne was born. Other illustrations draw from their surrounding context or text where available, and do a satisfactory job of presenting how certain events probably appeared. This is no easy feat, but this graphic biography competently illustrates the horrors of the Holocaust. The graphic paneled format is well thought out, and may attract a new reading audience, some of who may struggle with reading the published diary in entirety. It may also reach a slightly younger audience than the original diary, but resists lessening the horrors in Anne’s story. Not only is the research put into this graphic biography apparent, but there is also a list of recommended further reading. This graphic biography is strongly recommended for children ages ten to thirteen. ( )
  Jessie_Bear | Dec 9, 2011 |
This graphic novel offers a new perspective on Anne Frank's life and legacy beginning with her parents' childhoods and marriage and concluding with the publication of her diary and the effects it has had on the world. (Grades 6-12) ( )
  STBA | Jul 31, 2011 |
A biography of the famous Holocaust diarist in graphic-novel format, this book provides additional background and context on Anne Frank's family and historical events of the time. I've read a lot of Anne Frank books and I learned a lot from this one, perhaps because the authors had access to many materials at the Anne Frank House in Amsterdam, which commissioned this project. The format makes this important story accessible and inviting to an audience that might not otherwise read the diary or other accounts of Frank's life. ( )
3 vote riofriotex | May 12, 2011 |
This account was created with the full cooperation of the Anne Frank House in Amsterdam. Historical contexts, maps, charts, and time lines make the story useful for all ages as a starting point for meeting the plucky Anne as not only memorializer of the Holocaust but also a delightful, perceptive heroine in her own right. The color art is attractive and evocative. An essential purchase.
added by sduff222 | editLibrary Journal, M.C. (Jan 15, 2011)

Sid Jacobsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Colón, ErnieAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
I would like to dedicate this book to my children, Seth and Kathy, who but for the
fortune of time and place could have suffered the tragic fate of the
young sisters you are about to meet.
-SID JACOBSON
Watching my daughters grow into young women gave me a deep sense of what
Anne Frank and her sister Margot missed and what a loss they were to us all.
This one is for Amanda, Luisa, and Rebecca.
-ERNIE COLON
"Have I ever told you anything about our family?" Anne Frank asked her diary on May 8, 1944.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0809026856, Paperback)

Product Description
Drawing on the unique historical sites, archives, expertise, and unquestioned authority of the Anne Frank House in Amsterdam, New York Times bestselling authors Sid Jacobson and Ernie Colón have created the first authorized and exhaustive graphic biography of Anne Frank. Their account is complete, covering the lives of Anne’s parents, Edith and Otto; Anne's first years in Frankfurt; the rise of Nazism; the Franks' immigration to Amsterdam; war and occupation; Anne's years in the Secret Annex; betrayal and arrest; her deportation and tragic death in Bergen-Belsen; the survival of Anne's father; and his recovery and publication of her astounding diary.

A Look Inside Anne Frank: The Anne Frank House Authorized Graphic Biography
(Click on Images to Enlarge)

The Nazi party rises to power Hitler becomes Chancellor Hope in the Annex Anne Frank’s first kiss

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:57 -0400)

"Drawing on the unique historical sites, archives, expertise, and unquestioned authority of the Anne Frank House in Amsterdam, the New York Times bestselling authors Sid Jacobson and Ernie Colon have created the first authorized graphic biography of Anne Frank. Their account is complete, covering the lives of Anne's parents, Edith and Otto; Anne's first years in Frankfurt; the rise of Nazism; the Franks' immigration to Amsterdam; war and occupation; Anne's years in the Secret Annex; betrayal and arrest; her deportation and tragic death in Bergen-Belson; the survival of Anne's father; and his recovery and publication of her astounding diary. Carefully researched for historical authenticity, the book includes numerous panels featuring images that have been painstakingly adapted from rare photographs of Anne and her family. A remarkable collaboration of talent, Anne Frank: The Anne Frank House Authorized Graphic Biography not only reflects the dedication of its authors but marks another milestone in the evolution of graphic nonfiction"--Cover, p. 2.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,455,847 books! | Top bar: Always visible