Gold Boy, Emerald Girl by Yiyun Li

Gold Boy, Emerald Girl (edition 2011)

by Yiyun Li

Title:Gold Boy, Emerald Girl
Authors:Yiyun Li
Info:Fourth Estate (2011), Paperback, 256 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Tags:2012, Short Stories, China

Gold boy, emerald girl by Yiyun Li

English (13)  Danish (1)  All languages (14)
As usual I have to say that short stories are not my favourite genre but this collection caught my eye. The writing is muted yet articulate, with a style that clearly indicates a different culture.

"They would have been called "gold boy and emerald girl at their wedding, enviable for their matching good looks."

The first story, really a novella, is quite plaintive in its portrayal of a friendless woman who reads Dickens, as she reflects on her life after receiving an invitation to the funeral of her army officer.

In the title story a young woman brought up by her father developed a friendship of sorts with her biology professor. The professor arranges marriage for her now middle-aged student with her gay son. Here again the Dickens leitmotif appears: "Her grandfather had once memorized volumes of Dickens on the small balcony of a Shanghai flat, a feat that had eventually led him, before the liberation, to a high position in a bank run by Englishmen".

Overall, the stories are about love, but show a grey, melancholy picture of communist China peopled with eccentrics. ( )
  VivienneR | Sep 28, 2016 |
Really nicely done. Li's got a light touch, she's comfortable with ambiguity, and her compassion for difficult characters shines through. All these small lives add up to something bigger, a portrait of a time and place that haunts. Highly recommended. (And a review on Like Fire here.) ( )
  lisapeet | Jul 1, 2013 |
a bit depressing for this time of year but the writing is excellent and kept me in the book ( )
  lindap69 | Apr 5, 2013 |
The short stories were sad stories which were very well written. ( )
  mawls | Apr 4, 2013 |
From the wishlist of one of my BookCrossing friends. I hope she likes it!
  BoekenTrol71 | Mar 31, 2013 |
For Brigid Hughes
I am a forty-one-year-old woman living by myself, in the same one-bedroom flat where I have always lived, in a derelict building on the outskirts of Beijing that is threatened to be demolished by government-backed real estate developers.

A collection of nine short stories that offer a vision of the human fate.

84 wanted2 pay1 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,700,019 books! | Top bar: Always visible