dismiss

Skating Around the Law

by Joelle Charbonneau

Series: Rebecca Robbins (1)

Rebecca wants to sell the roller rink she inherited from her mother in Indian Falls, Illinois, and get back to Chicago-- fast! When she discovers the body of the town's handyman in a rink toilet, potential buyers are scared off, and she begins investigating the murder herself.

I loved this book! I stumbled across it when I was straightening the shelves at work and liked the title and description, so I read it. I am so glad that I did! I cannot wait until the next book in the series comes out. The characters were very well written, and I just love Elwood! The mystery was good too; I had no inkling of who the culprit might be until just a few pages before they were revealed. I am definitely going to recommend this new series to the patrons. ( )
  CarpeLibrum58 | Jun 4, 2016 |
Joelle Charbonneau's first novel has lots of humor with an excellent cast of characters. Rebecca Robbins, a mortgage broker from Chicago has returned home to her small town of Indian Falls, Illinois to sell the roller rink she inherited from her mother. When she discovers the dead body of the town’s handyman headfirst in a rink toilet, potential buyers are scared off. Rebecca teams up with her grandfather and a handsome veterinarian to solve the murder, so she can quickly get back to her job in Chicago. The case soon heats up and she realizes that finding the guilty person from a long list of suspects will be no easy task.

If you enjoy Stephanie Plum novel you will enjoy this series too. It's a cozy whodunit with lots of twists which keeps the story flowing. ( )
  EadieB | Jun 1, 2016 |
Lots of humor, a little romance, interesting/appealing characters, and an irresistible small town setting featuring a skating rink make this lively book a fun, relaxing read. Rebecca Robbins left her hometown of Indian Falls for the big city of Chicago as soon as she could, but she’s back now just long enough to sell the roller rink she inherited from her mother. Unfortunately a man is killed in the ladies room and no one wants to buy a rink with an unsolved murder. Since the local police aren’t as motivated as she would like, Rebecca figures she has to try to solve the mystery on her own. This is definitely reminiscent--in a good way--of early Stephanie Plum novels. There is even an overly enthusiastic grandfather who reminds me a lot of Grandma Mazur. I’m looking forward to reading more by this author. ( )
  Jaylia3 | May 14, 2013 |
Good read but the story took a while to get interesting. ( )
  krystalsbooks | Nov 4, 2012 |
You may also read my review here: http://www.mybookishways.com/2011/10/review-skating-around-the-law-by-joelle-cha...

Rebecca Robbins has returned to tiny Indian Falls to sell the roller rink that her mother loved so much,and she’s eager to get back to Chicago where her friends and her job waits for her. Selling the roller rink may not be as easy as she thought when she finds the town handyman in the rink restroom,head in the toilet,and dead as a doornail. Rebecca has no idea who could do such a thing,but she’s determined to find out,since finding a dead guy in the bathroom really isn’t helping her sell the rink. She resolved to find the killer herself,but it seems everyone has a secret,and when she starts receiving threats to her life,she realizes she may be in over her head.

Red-headed and feisty Rebecca Robbins is my new favorite sleuth! I loved that she’s kind of a regular gal just trying to get back out of a small town that she ran from in the first place,and bewildered as to why someone would be threatening her life. She certainly doesn’t take things lying down and more than holds her own. With the distractions of a sexy local vet (who I wanted to smack a few times,but yeah,totally hot),her grandfather’s overactive libido (shudder),and an adorable camel named Elwood (who likes to wear hats),Rebecca certainly has her hands full. The local police are not much help and are well aware of Rebecca’s tendency to snoop. It’s not something they’re happy about,and certainly aren’t ready and willing to help her investigation. Sifting through the mounting clues with Rebecca was great fun,and I enjoyed getting to know the quirky inhabitants of Indian Falls. If you like a good mystery,with a small-town “cozy” vibe and a heroine you can fall in love with,you’ll adore Skating Around the Law! ( )
  MyBookishWays | Oct 13, 2011 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,599,075 books! | Top bar: Always visible