Skating Around the Law by Joelle Charbonneau

Skating Around the Law

by Joelle Charbonneau

I loved this book! I stumbled across it when I was straightening the shelves at work and liked the title and description, so I read it. I am so glad that I did! I cannot wait until the next book in the series comes out. The characters were very well written, and I just love Elwood! The mystery was good too; I had no inkling of who the culprit might be until just a few pages before they were revealed. I am definitely going to recommend this new series to the patrons. ( )
  CarpeLibrum58 | Jun 4, 2016 |
Joelle Charbonneau's first novel has lots of humor with an excellent cast of characters. Rebecca Robbins, a mortgage broker from Chicago has returned home to her small town of Indian Falls, Illinois to sell the roller rink she inherited from her mother. When she discovers the dead body of the town’s handyman headfirst in a rink toilet, potential buyers are scared off. Rebecca teams up with her grandfather and a handsome veterinarian to solve the murder, so she can quickly get back to her job in Chicago. The case soon heats up and she realizes that finding the guilty person from a long list of suspects will be no easy task.

If you enjoy Stephanie Plum novel you will enjoy this series too. It's a cozy whodunit with lots of twists which keeps the story flowing. ( )
  EadieB | Jun 1, 2016 |
Lots of humor, a little romance, interesting/appealing characters, and an irresistible small town setting featuring a skating rink make this lively book a fun, relaxing read. Rebecca Robbins left her hometown of Indian Falls for the big city of Chicago as soon as she could, but she’s back now just long enough to sell the roller rink she inherited from her mother. Unfortunately a man is killed in the ladies room and no one wants to buy a rink with an unsolved murder. Since the local police aren’t as motivated as she would like, Rebecca figures she has to try to solve the mystery on her own. This is definitely reminiscent--in a good way--of early Stephanie Plum novels. There is even an overly enthusiastic grandfather who reminds me a lot of Grandma Mazur. I’m looking forward to reading more by this author. ( )
  Jaylia3 | May 14, 2013 |
Good read but the story took a while to get interesting. ( )
  krystalsbooks | Nov 4, 2012 |
Joelle Charbonneau's Skating Around the Law is a fun and exciting mystery that will leave readers in stitches of laughter! Every unexpected turn of the plot is suspense filled and mixed with a little attraction and humor.

Charbonneau doesn't waste time when introducing readers to her star character, Rebecca Robbins. On a temporary stay in her hometown, Indian Falls, Rebecca is determined to sell her late mother's skating rink. The only problem is that no one is interested in real estate when death is involved. Rebecca takes it upon herself to investigate and find the murderer of the town's handy man, Mack. The faster the case closes, the faster she's back in Chicago.

For a mortgage broker, Rebecca does surprisingly well when asking questions and looking for clues. Her ability to take charge without fear, even if her motivations are somewhat selfish, sets Rebecca as a pleasant and admirable lead. Charbonneau hits the nail on the head when it comes to characterization for the whole cast. Even the minor characters, and not just the human ones, bring entertainment to the story to keep it light-hearted between the sneaking and sleuthing.

Skating Around the Law is the perfect novel to introduce readers to the mind of Joelle Charbonneau. Her idea of mystery is easy-going, fascinating, and suspenseful all wrapped in one. Following the first book of the series is Skating Over the Line, which is bound to be one of the greatest sequels known to mystery lovers!

Originally posted on Lovey Dovey Books ( )
  LoveyDoveyBooks | Aug 6, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 031262980X, Hardcover)

Rebecca Robbins is a woman on a mission---to sell the roller rink she inherited from her mother and get back to Chicago. Fast. However, when she discovers the dead body of the town’s handyman headfirst in a rink toilet, potential buyers are scared off. Now Rebecca is stuck in a small town where her former neighbors think she doesn’t belong, living with her scarily frisky grandfather, Pop, and relying on a police department that’s better at gardening than solving crimes.

Eager to move forward with her life, Rebecca begins investigating the murder herself, reluctantly accepting help from Pop and his extensive social network, which includes a handsome veterinarian and a former circus camel named Elwood. Nevertheless, someone isn’t happy she’s looking into the case, and their threats will have her questioning whether playing sleuth was such a good idea after all.

Joelle Charbonneau’s debut is a sheer delight---a laugh-out-loud mystery with plenty of heart.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:02 -0400)

Rebecca wants to sell the roller rink she inherited from her mother in Indian Falls, Illinois, and get back to Chicago-- fast! When she discovers the body of the town's handyman in a rink toilet, potential buyers are scared off, and she begins investigating the murder herself.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,200,508 books! | Top bar: Always visible