The Peach Keeper by Sarah Addison Allen

The Peach Keeper

by Sarah Addison Allen

1,6592044,336 (3.76)134
Recently added byLitaVore, cheriw, RinHanase, private library, mel_scott, mmoj, agnetaakerlund, Rena37

I didn't finish reading this book. It looked interesting but after reading quite a few pages, I found the writing to be getting in the way of the story. It wasn't good. Maybe the story is OK, but I couldn't get past the writing and didn't wish to spend more time on it. ( )
  Rascalstar | Jan 21, 2017 |
This is a fun book that tied past characters to the present characters. It was a quick read . . . but full of enough twists and turns to stay interested. The end was kind-of predictable, but didn't take away from a good story. ( )
  csobolak | Oct 8, 2016 |
This was a very nice story about friendship in a southern way. 🙂 ( )
  whybehave2002 | Sep 1, 2016 |
Just an average story. The paranormal aspect could have been boosted to prevent the plot from falling flat. The only memorable character was Nana Osgood. The other characters, who were in their 30s, should have been more developed and mature. They acted like whiny teenagers. ( )
  amyghilton | Jul 27, 2016 |
This was a neat surprise! I'm a huge fan of Allen's work and I especially enjoy the magical realism genre, but this novel blended a few of my favorite genres together to create one fantastic afternoon of reading! I loved the small town setting. It was filled with realistic characters that were as colorful and complex as their relationships. I was glad to see that the friendships weren't from a fairy tale. They were like our own, experiencing the same "ups and downs" that life can create between family and friends.

I thought the mystery was a little predictable, but the way Allen presents the story I was too entertained and enamored by the characters (as well as their secrets) to really care. The magical elements were amazing and we even had a ghost thrown in for good measure!

The Peach Keeper was impossible to put down and I enjoyed every minute of it. It's running a close second to my favorite, the author's novel Garden Secrets! This is a must read for Sarah Addison Allen fans. ( )
  Becky_McKenna | Jul 11, 2016 |

Sarah Addison Allenprimary authorall editionscalculated
White, KarenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Michelle Pittman and Heidi Gibbs. Everything I know of friendship is thanks to you.
The day Paxton Osgood took the box of heavy-stock, foil-lined envelopes to the post office, the ones she'd had a professional calligrapher address, it began to rain so hard the air turned as white as bleached cotton.
"There's no avoiding me now, you know," she said. "You know my secrets. You maced people for me. You've got me for life." - Paxton Osgood

The New York Times bestselling author of The Girl Who Chased the Moon welcomes you to her newest locale: Walls of Water, North Carolina, where the secrets are thicker than the fog from the town’s famous waterfalls, and the stuff of superstition is just as real as you want it to be.

It’s the dubious distinction of thirty-year-old Willa Jackson to hail from a fine old Southern family of means that met with financial ruin generations ago. The Blue Ridge Madam—built by Willa’s great-great-grandfather during Walls of Water’s heyday, and once the town’s grandest home—has stood for years as a lonely monument to misfortune and scandal. And Willa herself has long strived to build a life beyond the brooding Jackson family shadow. No easy task in a town shaped by years of tradition and the well-marked boundaries of the haves and have-nots.

But Willa has lately learned that an old classmate—socialite do-gooder Paxton Osgood—of the very prominent Osgood family, has restored the Blue Ridge Madam to her former glory, with plans to open a top-flight inn. Maybe, at last, the troubled past can be laid to rest while something new and wonderful rises from its ashes. But what rises instead is a skeleton, found buried beneath the property’s lone peach tree, and certain to drag up dire consequences along with it.

For the bones—those of charismatic traveling salesman Tucker Devlin, who worked his dark charms on Walls of Water seventy-five years ago—are not all that lay hidden out of sight and mind. Long-kept secrets surrounding the troubling remains have also come to light, seemingly heralded by a spate of sudden strange occurrences throughout the town.

Now, thrust together in an unlikely friendship, united by a full-blooded mystery, Willa and Paxton must confront the dangerous passions and tragic betrayals that once bound their families—and uncover truths of the long-dead that have transcended time and defied the grave to touch the hearts and souls of the living.

Resonant with insight into the deep and lasting power of friendship, love, and tradition, The Peach Keeper is a portrait of the unshakable bonds that—in good times and bad, from one generation to the next—endure forever.

Willa Jackson of Walls of Water, North Carolina, has lately learned that an old classmate--socialite do-gooder Paxton Osgood--of the very prominent Osgood family, has restored her family's Blue Ridge Madam home to its former glory, with plans to open a top-flight inn. But when a skeleton, found buried beneath the lone peach tree on the property is found, Willa and Paxton must confront the dangerous passions and tragic betrayals that once bound their families.… (more)

Sarah Addison Allen is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Peach Keeper by Sarah Addison Allen was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,194,124 books! | Top bar: Always visible