The Peach Keeper: A Novel by Sarah Addison…

The Peach Keeper: A Novel

by Sarah Addison Allen

1,8272055,684 (3.77)141
Member:SarahAddisonAllen
Title:The Peach Keeper: A Novel
Authors:Sarah Addison Allen
Info:Bantam (no date), Hardcover, 272 pages

The Peach Keeper by Sarah Addison Allen

Initially I got off on the wrong foot with this one because I read the first few lines wrong. I thought the book was set in 1936 rather than modernn times. Once that confusion was cleared up, I really enjoyed the story. Sarah Addison Allen is becoming a favorite author of mine. Full review to come. ( )
  Melissalovesreading | Sep 30, 2018 |
A quick and easy read, although I wish the story had more depth to it. Still, I would be willing to try another book by this author, especially when seeking something light to read. ( )
  This-n-That | Jul 9, 2018 |
A great book about enduring friendships. About the power of friendship and the things that may break them apart. ( )
  Emmie217 | Jun 27, 2018 |
I enjoyed this book, but not as much as the first three. The characters in this book weren't as fleshed out as characters in her previous books and there wasn't as much magic as there was in the others (although Claire Waverley does make a brief appearance). Overall, I felt the characters were a bit flat. The depth was implied, but never fully developed. The whole "gay" best friend felt a bit clichéd and forced. And I just didn't get the beautiful conflict that existed in the other books. Here, the conflict often was rushed and the backstory was sparse. A good read, but not at the same level as Garden Spells, The Sugar Queen, or Girl Who Chased the Moon. ( )
  wanderinglynn | Mar 22, 2018 |
Missed the magic of her other books (even tho Claire Waverly makes a cameo catering) but still enjoyed the read. 4 old classmates reunite and find themselves (and each other) when skeletons are unearthed and memories shared. Allen's books are always like visiting good friends. Relaxing, warming and needed. ( )
1 vote CherylGrimm | Jan 9, 2018 |

Sarah Addison Allenprimary authorall editionscalculated
White, KarenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Michelle Pittman and Heidi Gibbs. Everything I know of friendship is thanks to you.
The day Paxton Osgood took the box of heavy-stock, foil-lined envelopes to the post office, the ones she'd had a professional calligrapher address, it began to rain so hard the air turned as white as bleached cotton.
"There's no avoiding me now, you know," she said. "You know my secrets. You maced people for me. You've got me for life." - Paxton Osgood

The New York Times bestselling author of The Girl Who Chased the Moon welcomes you to her newest locale: Walls of Water, North Carolina, where the secrets are thicker than the fog from the town’s famous waterfalls, and the stuff of superstition is just as real as you want it to be.

It’s the dubious distinction of thirty-year-old Willa Jackson to hail from a fine old Southern family of means that met with financial ruin generations ago. The Blue Ridge Madam—built by Willa’s great-great-grandfather during Walls of Water’s heyday, and once the town’s grandest home—has stood for years as a lonely monument to misfortune and scandal. And Willa herself has long strived to build a life beyond the brooding Jackson family shadow. No easy task in a town shaped by years of tradition and the well-marked boundaries of the haves and have-nots.

But Willa has lately learned that an old classmate—socialite do-gooder Paxton Osgood—of the very prominent Osgood family, has restored the Blue Ridge Madam to her former glory, with plans to open a top-flight inn. Maybe, at last, the troubled past can be laid to rest while something new and wonderful rises from its ashes. But what rises instead is a skeleton, found buried beneath the property’s lone peach tree, and certain to drag up dire consequences along with it.

For the bones—those of charismatic traveling salesman Tucker Devlin, who worked his dark charms on Walls of Water seventy-five years ago—are not all that lay hidden out of sight and mind. Long-kept secrets surrounding the troubling remains have also come to light, seemingly heralded by a spate of sudden strange occurrences throughout the town.

Now, thrust together in an unlikely friendship, united by a full-blooded mystery, Willa and Paxton must confront the dangerous passions and tragic betrayals that once bound their families—and uncover truths of the long-dead that have transcended time and defied the grave to touch the hearts and souls of the living.

Resonant with insight into the deep and lasting power of friendship, love, and tradition, The Peach Keeper is a portrait of the unshakable bonds that—in good times and bad, from one generation to the next—endure forever.

Willa Jackson of Walls of Water, North Carolina, has lately learned that an old classmate--socialite do-gooder Paxton Osgood--of the very prominent Osgood family, has restored her family's Blue Ridge Madam home to its former glory, with plans to open a top-flight inn. But when a skeleton, found buried beneath the lone peach tree on the property is found, Willa and Paxton must confront the dangerous passions and tragic betrayals that once bound their families.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Sarah Addison Allen's book The Peach Keeper was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Sarah Addison Allen is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,134,861 books! | Top bar: Always visible