666 Park Avenue by Gabriella Pierce

666 Park Avenue

by Gabriella Pierce

Series: 666 Park Avenue (1)

Recently added byChewDigest, kalymiller, ASmithey, rlb0616, sunset_x_cocktail, private library, Vegemite, FremdeB

I picked this book up because I enjoyed the television series. It was obvious that the book was nothing like the series, but I tried to give it a chance. I found the plot uninteresting, and the main character boring. I gave the book two stars instead of one though, because somehow it kept me reading to the end. ( )
  wincrow | Apr 25, 2014 |
Ugh. ( )
  newskepticx | Dec 18, 2013 |
Shallow and mindless, yet surprisingly addictive. 666 Park Avenue reads like one of those sappy teen dramas aired on the CWTV. It's like a blend of Gossip Girl and The Secret Circle, but with a slightly older cast. You can't help but get sucked in by all the pretty people and their pointless drama.

What drew me into reading this book is its stunning cover. The stark contrast between black and green upon a pearlescent shimmering background enticed me. I know, I know. By now I really should have learned my lesson about pretty [b:covers|6068551|Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1)|Maggie Stiefvater|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1328839272s/6068551.jpg|6244926] and the crappy content they usually contain, but I couldn't resist.

I have to admit, I nearly tossed the book when I opened it to the first page and it read:
"TWIRL." I immediately rolled my eyes and thought "Ugh. It's going to be one of those girly books." Gabriella Pierce's writing style is very simplistic and she name drops high-end fashion labels as if her life depended on it. But this is a book about socialite witches, so materialism should be expected.

As I read on, Pierce's frequent use of golden to describe Malcolm started nagging at my brain and this feeling of revulsion started creeping over me. Why does this feel so familiar? Ah, yes! It reminded me of our other favorite golden boy, [b:Jace|256683|City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1)|Cassandra Clare|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1309277410s/256683.jpg|2267189]. *dry heaves* What does "liquid gold" sound like exactly?

In spite of a banal beginning, the book soon had me completely engrossed in all its superficial glory. It went fast and I had a lot of fun reading it. Don't let the 666 in the title fool you. This doesn't even register on the scary scale. I enjoyed this so much it left me very curious to read the next book in the series. I actually can't wait to read it. ( )
1 vote imadork | Nov 18, 2013 |
Not really my thing. Too much chick lit, brand name dropping, pop culture shout outs (but not in a fun enough way to really pull it off), twists that are obvious about 20 chapters earlier.

Readable, but not more.

Possibly ok as a setup for a series, at this point I'm more interested in the secondary characters, so I might pick up the next book, just to see where it goes. ( )
  krazykiwi | Sep 22, 2013 |
A really good book . I enjoy witches and other supernatural beings so this was not a disappointment at all. I wish I could see the television show but I don't get the channel. ( )
  Poohbear1972 | Sep 22, 2013 |

Gabriella Pierceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kain, AmandaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sturge, DiahannDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"'Twirl.'"

Ever since fabulously wealthy Malcolm Doran walked into her life and swept her off her feet, fledgling architect Jane Boyle’s world has become an absolute fairy tale. When he proposes with a stunning 5-carat diamond to seal the deal, Jane can’t believe her incredible fortune and decides to leave her Paris-based job and make a new start with Malcolm in New York.

But when Malcolm introduces Jane to the esteemed Doran clan, one of the most feared and revered families of the New York City upper crust, Jane’s fairy tale takes a darker turn. Soon everything she thought she knew about the world and herself is upended, and Jane is left to struggle with newfound magical abilities and the threat of those who will stop at nothing to get them. Bringing together the dual fascinations of high society and black magic, 666 Park Avenue is a story of a young woman’s discovery and survival when her mother-in-law to-be turns out to be a horrible, grasping witch…literally.

Darkness lurks behind the gilded halls of New York high society, and the elite Upper East Side Witches who rule Park Avenue.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

666 Park Avenue by Gabriella Pierce was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,666,581 books! | Top bar: Always visible