666 Park Avenue by Gabriella Pierce

666 Park Avenue

by Gabriella Pierce

Series: 666 Park Avenue (1)

I was first attracted to this book by the cover, and thought it might be a fun, light read. It was not quite what I expected, but it was still a fun read--as long as I could overlook the lack of character development, the lack of a significant relationship between Jane & Malcolm, and the strange way Jane develops her magical powers (I can overlook a lot at times). ( )
  Lessiebess | Apr 20, 2016 |
I started reading the book yesterday, and the writing and the setting are very interesting. I want to see what will happen next. The book reminds me a lot of the movie Hush (1998) starring Gwyneth Paltrow. A woman falls in love with a man who is handsome rich and so in love with her and then she meets his crazy mom and everything goes nuts after that, add witchcraft to the mix and you've got the book... But I have a bad feeling about Malcolm, he doesn't feel right... I still haven't finished, I'll see what will happen next and edit my review.

OMG!!!! The book was great!!! I loved it!!! Every twist was a surprise! and the ending was open for another book.

I wish Jane would end up with Harris! ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |

I wish Jane would end up with Harris! ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
I'll give this three stars, 'cause it's not a bad book. But I have to say it didn't live up to it's über attractive cover and meticulously decorative pages. Nope, not at all.

The vast majority of the book is dedicated to Jane's interactions with her monstrous mother-in-law to-be, no magic required. In fact there's hardly magic at all until the end of the book. It could have been basic chic lit. Then again, the way Malcolm swept her off her feet it could be a romance. But there is eventually magic, so are we talking urban fantasy or paranormal romance? There's a murder with a bit of a mystery in there too and the terror in the attic could almost pass for light horror. So, I'm not entirely sure what genre this is even supposed to fall into. It's a little schizophrenic.

[SPOILER ALERT] If all of that didn't leave me baffled enough I then have to wonder at the characters' actions. Honestly, bringing Jane to NY and forcing a wedding of the century on her doesn't seem to make any sense for what the baddies hope to accomplish. Nor does Mrs. Doran's overbearing attitude. She wants something. You'd think she could at least fake being nice long enough to get it. Everything they hoped to accomplish could have been gained by simply smiling and welcoming her into their family. Seriously, that's all it would have taken to get exactly what they wanted. So, why all the dramatics?

Then there is Jane...Jane. Jane. Jane. Jane, who learns that she has been lied to, manipulated and conned and then instantly decides she can still trust this person. Um, why? Based on what? Then after giving him that second chance, she learns of yet another betrayal--this one even bigger than the last. Does she finally curse him? Nope, instant forgiveness. What?

I also didn't feel that characters were well fleshed out. I mean Malcolm was in the book for a collective 30 pages, maybe (probably less). He's like a prop to get Jane to NY and keep her there. It's his family that she interacts with. This lack of face-time with Malcolm also means the reader, or at least this reader, was unable to reconcile how he could be the heartless man who did the things he did, the helpless boy-man that needs rescuing, a victim and trustworthy all at the same time. But I assure you, we are apparently supposed to be able to. Further, while I liked Jane's apparent backbone and the smarts it takes to pick some battles and let others go, we learn very little about what makes her willing to remain in her situation even after it has become patently ridiculous. Oh, and isn't it convenient that she developed all that power just in time!?

I liked the writing well enough, simple as it is. There are some funny bits. The book itself is stunning. But there is very little that attracts me to pick up the next volume. ( )
  SadieSForsythe | Feb 24, 2016 |
I have really been looking forward to reading this book. The summary was intriguing and it was a nice change from the vampires that are so popular right now. In the end, it didn't disappoint. No big life lessons here, but straight fantasy/escape. It was easy to read, light in subject and ended nicely, while paving the way for the next book in the series. The story was a little rushed at times, and many things were a bit beyond belief (and I'm talking the level of the friendships here and not the witchcraft), but any more detail on these extraneous items may have proven to be verbose. I thought it was a tidy, fun read. A little sex, but not overdone.
  CarmenMilligan | Jan 18, 2016 |

Gabriella Pierceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kain, AmandaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sturge, DiahannDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"'Twirl.'"

Ever since fabulously wealthy Malcolm Doran walked into her life and swept her off her feet, fledgling architect Jane Boyle’s world has become an absolute fairy tale. When he proposes with a stunning 5-carat diamond to seal the deal, Jane can’t believe her incredible fortune and decides to leave her Paris-based job and make a new start with Malcolm in New York.

But when Malcolm introduces Jane to the esteemed Doran clan, one of the most feared and revered families of the New York City upper crust, Jane’s fairy tale takes a darker turn. Soon everything she thought she knew about the world and herself is upended, and Jane is left to struggle with newfound magical abilities and the threat of those who will stop at nothing to get them. Bringing together the dual fascinations of high society and black magic, 666 Park Avenue is a story of a young woman’s discovery and survival when her mother-in-law to-be turns out to be a horrible, grasping witch…literally.

Darkness lurks behind the gilded halls of New York high society, and the elite Upper East Side Witches who rule Park Avenue.

14 wanted4 pay2 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

666 Park Avenue by Gabriella Pierce was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,881,380 books! | Top bar: Always visible