The Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown

The Weird Sisters

by Eleanor Brown

Recently added byrena75, rainbowalphabet, loranne_test_01, kristi_test_02, eloquinn, private library
    Vinegar Girl by Anne Tyler (Anonymous user)
    The Solomon Sisters Wise Up by Melissa Senate (Micheller7)
    The Silver Boat by Luanne Rice (Cecilturtle)
    Juliet by Anne Fortier (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Both books center on heroines named after Shakespearean characters and deal with the theme of a destiny or personality based on their literary counterparts.
    Sisters by Danielle Steel (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Similar story line - 3 sisters who come home to deal with a family crisis and end up facing their own demons.

English (219)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (222)
Yet another DNF. Made it to page 150 but found myself skipping lines, then paras, then pages .... Nothing much really happens and the constant quoting of Shakespeare was dull and pretentious - the dad literally ONLY spoke in Shakespeare quotes?!?!
  AHouseOfBooks | Nov 4, 2018 |
This is my book club's selection for April. It's not something I would have chosen myself. The reviews leave me a bit dubious. We'll see.....

Finished the book. Not the best or the worst. The story and characters were kinda like watching a train wreck...unable to look away even as I'm cringing. The sisters were predictable, lacking that spark of surprise that would increase depth. The ending was too Hallmark card sweet for my taste. However, it was a fast read and I enjoyed the writing style, which did have flashes of creativity. ( )
  Thebrownbookloft | Jun 29, 2018 |
I made it 25 pages. I didn't hate it, but it absolutely did not hold my interest. I disliked the main characters, and it took too long for the plot to go anywhere (in fact I'm not sure I know what the plot actually was). ( )
  its_aduck | Jun 6, 2018 |
Just okay. The ending is too pat, and Brown could have cut out whole sections in which she spells out the point of the previous scene. The characters are appealing, though, and it held my interest. ( )
  GaylaBassham | May 27, 2018 |
An interesting read that focuses on the idea of birth order and how it affects our relationships with our siblings. Not having sisters I found it a bit difficult to relate to the characters but I did like their interactions. The title comes from the three witches in Macbeth and the father of the three main characters is a Shakespeare expert who only seems able to communicate with his family in quotes from the Bard.
Enjoyed this book but not sure that I would necessarily recommend it strongly. ( )
  LindaWeeks | May 14, 2018 |
"Indeed, The Weird Sisters is a book worth celebrating. Because their father is a renowned Shakespearean scholar, the Andreas family communicates largely through the words of the Bard. It is not unusual for them to drop Shakespearean quotes into a conversation about, say, wedding rings or what to eat for breakfast."
added by clamairy | editBookPage, Amy Scribner (Mar 2, 2011)

There are times when the sisters are exasperated by the burden imposed on them. “Sometimes we had the overwhelming urge to grab our father by the shoulders and shake him until the meaning of his obtuse quotations fell from his mouth like loosened teeth,” they say. Readers may sometimes feel similarly about Ms. Brown but more often appreciate the good sense and good humor that keep her story buoyant. She does have storytelling talent. Or, to quote one of the Weird Sisters quoting you-know-who: “This is a gift that I have; simple, simple.”

Eleanor Brown's likable debut novel is the story of three grown sisters who return home when their mother falls ill.....The first third of the book moves slowly, with too much explanation of who the sisters are, and too much insistence on how different each is from the other, and a sort of bulky setting-up of their rather implausible situations, and -- enough, already! Get the story moving! And when it does start moving, it is a delight.

But we only called the fire brigade, and soon the fire engine came and three tall men in helmets brought a hose into the house and Mr. Prothero got out just in time before they turned it on. Nobody could have had a noisier Christmas Eve. And when the firemen turned off the hose and were standing in the wet, smoky room, Jim's Aunt, Miss Prothero, came downstairs and peered in at them. Jim and I waited, very quietly, to hear what she would say to them. She said the right thing, always. She looked at the three tall firemen in their shining helmets, standing among the smoke and cinders and dissolving snowballs, and she said, "Would you like anything to read?" —DYLAN THOMAS, A Child's Christmas In Wales
I dreamt last night of the three weird sisters. —WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE, Macbeth
TO CHRIS, For springtime, for a rock-and-roll show, forever
We came home because we were failures.
She never managed to find herself in these books no matter how she tried, exhuming traits from between the pages and donning them for an hour, a day, a week. We think, in some ways, we have all done this our whole lives, searching for the book that will give us the keys to ourselves, let us into a wholly formed personality as though it were a furnished room to let. As though we could walk in and look around and say to the gray-haired landlady behind us, "We'll take it."
We were fairly certain that if anyone made public the various and variegated ways in which being an adult sucked eggs, more people might opt out entirely.
She narrowed her eyes and considered the array of potential answers in front of her. Because I don't spend hours flippping through cable complaining there's nothing on? Because my entire Sunday is not eaten up with pre-game, in-game, and post-game talking heads? Because I do not spend every night drinking overpriced beer and engaging dick-swinging contests with the other financirati? Because when I am waiting in line, at the gym, on the train, eating lunch, I am not complaining about the wait/staring into space/admiring myself in available reflective surfaces? I am reading!
What if the name you were given had already been lived in?
He was not a reader. And that was the sort of nonsense up with which we will not put.

Unlucky in work, love, and life, the Andreas sisters return to their childhood home. Each has a secret she's unwilling to share — each has come home to lick her own wounds.

The Andreas family is an eccentric one. Books are their passion (There is no problem a library card can't solve), TV something other families watched. Their father — a renowned professor of Shakespeare who communicates almost exclusively in verse — named all three girls for great Shakespearean women — Rose (Rosalind), Bean (Bianca), and Cordy (Cordelia) — as a result, the sisters find that they have a lot to live up to.

With this burden, the Andreas sisters have a difficult time communicating with their parents and their lovers, but especially with one another.

What can the homebody and shy eldest sister, the fast-living and mysterious middle child, and the bohemian youngest sibling have in common? Why can't Rose leave her hometown for the man she loves? Why has glamorous Bean come home from New York City with her tail between her legs, to the small college town she swore she'd leave as soon as she could? And why has Cordy suddenly resurfaced after years of gypsy living? Each sister has found her life nothing like she had thought it would be — and now, as they are faced with their parents' frailty and their own disappointments and setbacks, their usual quick salve of a book can't solve what ails them.

Unwillingly brought together to care for their ailing mother, three sisters who were named after famous Shakespearean characters discover that everything they have been avoiding may prove more worthwhile than expected.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Eleanor Brown's book The Weird Sisters was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Eleanor Brown is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,207,105 books! | Top bar: Always visible