Invincible Summer by Hannah Moskowitz

Invincible Summer (edition 2011)

by Hannah Moskowitz

Title:Invincible Summer
Authors:Hannah Moskowitz
Info:Simon Pulse (2011), Edition: Original, Paperback, 288 pages

Invincible Summer by Hannah Moskowitz

I started this book on my lunch break the day it was released, and finished it that night. It was so good, I didn't want to put it down until I was done. First, I want to say how much I love the cover. I realize it might alienate some younger male readers because it looks "girly" (though it might not, considering the subject matter...) but I first saw it and thought I knew what was butt and what was boobs. Found out on Hannah's blog I was totally wrong! But I love that it goes both ways.

Hannah has a great way of writing the non-stereotypical teenage boy character. I love how the siblings in her family are always close-knit and care so much about each other. She definitely made you feel like you were on the beach right with the characters, even though her imagery wasn't gratuitous, just vivid. The book takes place over four summers, and that's the only time you get to know the characters. I love that we don't see them the rest of the year, and it doesn't affect the story at all. We don't need to know anything about their lives except what happens during those summers. I thought I would miss the rest of the year, but it didn't leave holes like some other books have (Blume's Summer Sisters comes to mind as one that gave only glimpses, when a full year would be needed).

Once the climax was close, it seemed inevitable, but it wasn't a let-down by any means. It was still very emotional without being sentimental, and the characters dealing with the aftermath was heartbreaking after getting to know them so well over the course of the book. Even after such a story arc, the ending didn't fall flat. I'll admit I skipped over almost all of the Camus quotes because they got quite long and I didn't want to get bogged down in them, but they were well-chosen to fit in the story. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
review coming soon!
  BookSpot | May 18, 2015 |
I don't even know how to do my usual pro/con rating for this novel.

The book started as a 4, went to a 5 and then settled at a three honestly, the downfall in the end was that it simply suffered from too much tragedy. Divorce, rape, and now death?

The family was already so broken and so demoralized, it seems like they could have been split apart without Gideon's death.

Extremely well-written, neat use an anachronistic timeline, page turner!
  ErikaWasTaken | Sep 22, 2013 |

This book is okay if you want 4 identical cheesy stories of summertime romance. Some people will love it undoubtedly but I got bored fairly quick. ( )
  emleemay | Mar 30, 2013 |
Let me start off this review by saying that the description for this book does not do it any justice! The description makes it sounds like this is some sort of chick-lit book but in reality it’s nothing like that! Invincible Summer isn’t a love story instead it’s a story about the tragedies one family faces.

Moskowitz’s writing is unique and addicting. I finished this whole book in simply one sitting. I quickly knew when i finished Invincible Summer that I’d have to go pick up Moskowitz debut book bones as she has a unique gift for writing.

Chase, the main character and his older brother Noah get into the writer Camus on summer because of their neighbor Melinda. Both start quoting it reguarly throughout the book.

While Invincible Summer definately did grab my interest i couldnt find myself to absoluely adore this book. I enjoyed reading it and connected very well to the main character Chase, but something about this book wasn’t enough for me. I can’t say much without revealing any spoilers so I won’t. What i will tell you is that if your in the search for a book that deals with heavy topics and family tragedies this one’s for you.
  Lilycanete | Oct 9, 2012 |
To my family, invincibly.
Gideon keeps falling down.

Noah’s happier than I’ve seen him in months. So I’d be an awful brother to get in the way of that. It’s not like I have some relationship with Melinda. It was just a kiss. Am I going to ruin Noah’s happiness because of a kiss?

Across four sun-kissed, drama-drenched summers at his family’s beach house, Chase is falling in love, falling in lust, and trying to keep his life from falling apart. But some girls are addictive....

Not your typical beach read.

Over the course of several summers on the Atlantic coast, Chase struggles with his feelings for his best friend's sisters in the beach house next door while trying to get his own family through seemingly insurmountable problems.

Hannah Moskowitz is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,883,406 books! | Top bar: Always visible