Invincible Summer by Hannah Moskowitz

Invincible Summer (edition 2011)

by Hannah Moskowitz

Member:Bookswithbite
Title:Invincible Summer
Authors:Hannah Moskowitz
Info:Simon Pulse (2011), Edition: Original, Paperback, 288 pages
Rating:*****

Invincible Summer by Hannah Moskowitz

I don't even know how to do my usual pro/con rating for this novel.

The book started as a 4, went to a 5 and then settled at a three honestly, the downfall in the end was that it simply suffered from too much tragedy. Divorce, rape, and now death?

The family was already so broken and so demoralized, it seems like they could have been split apart without Gideon's death.

Extremely well-written, neat use an anachronistic timeline, page turner!
  ErikaWasTaken | Sep 22, 2013 |

This book is okay if you want 4 identical cheesy stories of summertime romance. Some people will love it undoubtedly but I got bored fairly quick. ( )
  emleemay | Mar 30, 2013 |
Let me start off this review by saying that the description for this book does not do it any justice! The description makes it sounds like this is some sort of chick-lit book but in reality it’s nothing like that! Invincible Summer isn’t a love story instead it’s a story about the tragedies one family faces.

Moskowitz’s writing is unique and addicting. I finished this whole book in simply one sitting. I quickly knew when i finished Invincible Summer that I’d have to go pick up Moskowitz debut book bones as she has a unique gift for writing.

Chase, the main character and his older brother Noah get into the writer Camus on summer because of their neighbor Melinda. Both start quoting it reguarly throughout the book.

While Invincible Summer definately did grab my interest i couldnt find myself to absoluely adore this book. I enjoyed reading it and connected very well to the main character Chase, but something about this book wasn’t enough for me. I can’t say much without revealing any spoilers so I won’t. What i will tell you is that if your in the search for a book that deals with heavy topics and family tragedies this one’s for you.
  Lilycanete | Oct 9, 2012 |
“Gideon keeps falling down.”

Within the opening line of Invincible Summer, is a hint of what will follow as the story of the McGill family unfolds. And who better to tell their story than Chase McGill. Chase, the self-appointed oldest brother (who is chronologically the second oldest), narrates this family saga over four summers as he struggles to keep it together and keep making sense of a dynamic that is sometimes impossible to make sense of…the modern family.

The thing that really touched me on a visceral level about this story was the relationship between Chase and his older brother, Noah. Noah is a wanderer, a bit of a lost soul perhaps. Chase so desires to keep Noah within the family fold that it’s sometimes the only thing on his mind. But when the brothers are together, that’s the real magic of this book. The two are so touching together, so achingly close and intimate. As someone who grew up with three brothers, this bond that Moskowitz has somehow perfectly captured resonated so loudly for me it became the whole focal point of the story. Whatever happens between these two boys, the love they feel for one another is so solid—so breathlessly there—that it leaves you aching within its pulse.

But as beautifully written as their relationship is, it is not entirely the focus of Invincible Summer. As the opening line alludes, this could in fact be considered a story of falling. We meet up with the McGills every summer for four years. The first summer, we meet the boys, their parents, their younger sister Claudia and deaf brother Gideon. And we also meet the Hathaway family that the McGills intimately share their summers with. There is Shannon, Bella, Melinda and their parents.

There is a reason I listed all the characters here. In the first few pages of Invincible Summer, as a reader, I thought I was going to have a hard time keeping track of this rather large cast. My fears were quickly alleviated, though, as I got deeper into the McGills’ saga. Each character was so well drawn there was never any question about who was who. Moskowitz did a wonderful job making each one unique and memorable.

There is another character in Invincible Summer worth mentioning. Albert Camus. He plays as big a role as some of the other characters. Moskowitz weaves beautiful Camus quotes throughout her story, as the boys become almost obsessed with his views and opinions of the world. After their introduction to him through Melinda, who has sex with both Chase and Noah, they are able to spout off Camus quotes for every event in their lives. This was done perfectly by Moskowitz, someone who clearly knows her Camus. It was such a delight to see the chosen quotes co-mingling with the story Moskowitz so expertly wove.

I’m not going to go too far into the story of Invincible Summer. I feel to give details would be to give away too much. I’ll just say that there is always something happening. In the first summer, we see Chase and his clan deal with a new addition, the tie breaker baby sister who throws off the balance of blond and brunet in the McGill household. In the second summer we see a rift in the family that has them fracturing in such a unique way it’s as tickling as it is tragic. The pivotal moments in Invincible Summer seem to occur in and around Chase’s yearly summer birthday, a fact not lost on our narrator. Each summer, there are issues for the family to deal with. And as the reader sees them arrive and erupt on the page, we are filled with nostalgia, angst, regret and pain. We laugh with the McGills and we cry with the McGills.

This book is one I will return to again and again. It’s an expertly woven tale of family dynamics, teen relationships and childhood summers. Every reader will connect to these memorable characters. Every reader will recall their own childhood summers as they dive deeper into this book… and how they felt both sickeningly vulnerable and powerfully invincible all at once as they struggled through those summers. And if they have siblings, they will ache with the familiarity of the sibling love that is so perfectly texturized in the bond between Noah and Chase. Moskowitz nailed the modern day family in this tale. I feel certain it will work its way into the hearts of all who read it. ( )
  KevinTC | Aug 25, 2011 |
I don’t know if I can even find words to review this book, but I’m going to try. Firstly, INVINCIBLE SUMMER is about so much more than a boy and a girl. In fact, I’d have to say that Chase’s and Noah’s relationships with Melinda take a back seat to the family relationships. Melinda is just one small part of the whole story.

Chase is the second oldest in a family of four, soon-to-be five, kids. Noah is the oldest, Claudia follows Chase and Gideon is the baby – until the new baby arrives. Chase is our narrator and we follow him through four summers of love, grief, joy, emotional turmoil, lust, anger and a whole lot of drama. Chase is growing up, and we get to experience it with him through his summers at the family beach house. And Chase is such a teenage boy! Loves his family, discovering girls, responsible but still reckless. He makes some unwise decisions, but with everything that’s going on in his life and with his family, it’s like he doesn’t know any other decision to make. He just goes with it, and yes – maybe he shouldn’t have, but he did. And he grows and learns and is just so…I don’t even know. All I know is I just wanted to hug him and tell him everything would be ok in the end.

INVINCIBLE SUMMER is one of the few books I’ve read that made me feel as if I was actually listening to teenagers talk. There is a ton of swear words in this book, and I say good. Because the way Chase and Noah and Claudia talk to one another? Is how teens talk. It’s how adults talk, and it’s how tweens talk. There is no shorter of swear words in the schools and home of kids now-a-days, at all. The relationship between Chase and Melinda (girl in the family who rents the beach house next door) and the relationship between Noah and Melinda – I can see it. Two brothers acknowledging that they both have sex with the same girl is a little awkward, but it worked with the relationship between Noah and Chase that we’re presented with. Nothing is stronger than their bond, no matter how much Chase might wish Noah was around more.

There is so much going on in Chase’s life, and at times I just wanted to weep for him and his situation. His family life starts so normal and as the pages of the story unfold we realize there is so much more going on underneath the happy exterior that it is heart breaking. But there is a strength in Chase and his siblings, and even if everything is crashing down around them, Chase is determined to keep his ties with Noah and the others as tight as possible. The summers at the beach house may not be what they were at the beginning of the book, but they are what they are, and sometimes you have to make the best of things. INVINCIBLE SUMMER is rough and tough and pulls on heartstrings while being an incredible story about family, change and what it means to grow up. ( )
  thekams | Aug 19, 2011 |
To my family, invincibly.
Gideon keeps falling down.

Noah’s happier than I’ve seen him in months. So I’d be an awful brother to get in the way of that. It’s not like I have some relationship with Melinda. It was just a kiss. Am I going to ruin Noah’s happiness because of a kiss?

Across four sun-kissed, drama-drenched summers at his family’s beach house, Chase is falling in love, falling in lust, and trying to keep his life from falling apart. But some girls are addictive....

Not your typical beach read.

Over the course of several summers on the Atlantic coast, Chase struggles with his feelings for his best friend's sisters in the beach house next door while trying to get his own family through seemingly insurmountable problems.

Hannah Moskowitz is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,961,205 books! | Top bar: Always visible