Zig and Wikki in Something Ate My Homework…

Zig and Wikki in Something Ate My Homework (Toon)

by Nadja Spiegelman

Graphic novel. My 8 year old read it and rated it a 3. ( )
  nadelle | Feb 20, 2014 |
I definitely would use this in the classroom. Although it is fictional there are some non-fictional aspects of this book. I think students can better understand a concept if they can see it in detail. This would be a great aid to help students visually. ( )
  rrobinson2 | Nov 22, 2013 |
My daughter loved this book and re-read it several times. The first time through she was mostly interested in the story. In subsequent readings she focused on the boxes with facts about the various insects and animals. Then she made the "food chain" connections about what eats what.

To read our full review, go to The Reading Tub®.
  TheReadingTub | Apr 13, 2011 |
Toon Books branches out with a nonfiction easy reader comic! Zig and Wikki are on their way to Grandma's house...across the galaxy! A wrong turn lands them on earth, but that's ok. Zig has to turn in a pet for homework and what better place to find one than a strange planet? As they look for an animal that would make a good pet - i.e., one that won't eat them! - they explore a simple pond life cycle, fly, dragonfly, frog, raccoon.

This is another great offering from Toon. Lively, colorful pictures with underlying earth tones contrast the environment of a pond with the alien Zig and Wikki. A funny narrative with plenty of nonfiction facts and a sly bit of humor here and there complete a readable and attractive story for beginning readers past the first stage.

Verdict: Buy it! Every easy reader section should have at least some Toon books and this is definitely a must-have. It's easy to neglect nonfiction in your easy reader section and this is a nice blend of story and fact. We've got two copies, since I won a complete set of Toon Books to add to the ones I already bought!

ISBN: 978-1935179023; Published April 2010; Purchased (and won) for my library.
  JeanLittleLibrary | Mar 28, 2011 |
Kearsten says: Zig and Wikki travel to Earth to look for a pet for Zig’s homework. While there, they learn a bit about nature’s food chain and nearly become part of the chain themselves! Facts about flies, dragonflies, frogs and raccoons are mixed into the story (along with photographs), making this a fun and informative adventure for 2nd and 3rd graders. ( )
  YouthGPL | Aug 31, 2010 |

Zig and Wikki arrive on earth to seach for a pet for Zig's class assignment.

Toon Books

An edition of this book was published by Toon Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,660,614 books! | Top bar: Always visible