Fishbowl by Sarah Mlynowski

Fishbowl

by Sarah Mlynowski

English (8)  French (1)  All languages (9)
I found this book a real effort to get through. I have liked other Mlynowski books but this one left me cold. Three female housemates, all clichéd, move in together, burn down the kitchen (it's only one of their faults, that one); do parties in a bar to fundraise and fall in and out of love and obsession with a few boys.

A coming of age novel where I didn't care about the characters or their lives, they frankly bored me silly and reading about it from several people's perspective didn't improve things. It was trying to hard to be clever and fell flat on it's face, for me at least. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Jul 7, 2014 |
'd been eager to read this one, but I didn't really enjoy the book at the start - it too me a few chapters to get the hang of the author's style. But then I got caught up in it! Enjoyable book about 3 roommates, a handful of guys, a kitchen fire, a handyman, and three smashing parties. I think the party descriptions were the best.
  wareagle78 | Mar 19, 2014 |
20-something roommates in Toronto struggle with normal roommate issues as well as having to pay for repairs after a kitchen fire (they throw parties in bars and charge admission). Just didn't grab me, maybe because I'm way past the living with random strangers stage (which worked out OK in grad school, but I wouldn't especially want to do it again). ( )
  ennie | Jan 30, 2014 |
Ths book was pretty typical only the story line that followed Emma had a ring of reality. The end of her story was not wrapped up witha bow. The rest of the book was very predictable. I was not surprised ( )
  krystalsbooks | Dec 21, 2009 |
Another one. This one is funnier than Monkey Business, and it only has female voices. The characters are somewhat similar to MB, but the interactions are lighter. It's basically three roommates and a burned-down kitchen. What's not to like? The suspense was a bit forced, and the main romance was obvious from the beginning, but watching the girls interact was great. I enjoyed it. ( )
  kikilon | Mar 31, 2009 |

Smart, witty and a little bit bitchy, Fishbowl lets you press your face against the glass, see into the lives of three unique roommates -- and laugh your head off.
Allison can't wait for Jodine and Emma to move in to her apartment -- until she realizes having roommates means living in a fishbowl: You are never alone. When one small, slightly accidental fire leads to one big repair bill, all efforts to avoid each other are finally abandoned: They've got to raise money . . . fast ("Insurance? You mean you have to pay for that?"). This means joining forces. Bonding? Well, at least they're talking to each other!

Amazingly, they agree on a plan: shamelessly exploit their combined expertise on the male species for hard cash. Tactics: sell tickets to their swanky soirées and How to Pick Up Women seminars . . . But their grand scheme sweeps away any last shreds of privacy with startling consequences. Now that they're forced to take a long, hard look at themselves, Allie, Jodine and Emma's lives -- and budding friendship -- are about to change, in ways they never imagined.

Three women newly rooming together discover the meaning of living in a fishbowl after a small fire leads to a big repair bill and a big realization about insurance, bonding, and friendship.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:34 -0400)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,238,537 books! | Top bar: Always visible