Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Just in Time, Abraham Lincoln by Patricia…

Just in Time, Abraham Lincoln

by Patricia Polacco

In this story, the author magically transports two young boys - and us - back in time to the Civil War. The boys arrive in Harper's Ferry after the Battle of Antietam and are brought out to the battlefield to assist with a photograph of President Abraham Lincoln. Spending the day on the battlefield with the photographer and the President brings the war, and its true cost, to life for the boys who manage to escape back to the present just in time. It is a struggle to make history feel alive for children, but this book does it beautifully. ( )
  adrouet | Mar 19, 2019 |
My favorite Patricia Polacco book. Relates well to kids today.
  JTPaulisin | Nov 15, 2018 |
I have read a couple of Patricia Polacco's books, and I feel that the author has an ingenious way of connecting the audience to historical figures and events. In this book, we see two young boys step back in time and experience the effects of the Civil War alongside photographer Matthew Brady. Along the way, they meet President Abraham Lincoln who assists the boys in returning to the present time. The book highlights the tragedy of war and the chances that were necessary in our nation during that time period. The illustrations complemented the text by enhancing the story, but not taking away from the message. ( )
  MargaretStrahan | Sep 25, 2018 |
This book is about 2 brothers who are visiting Washington D.C. with their grandmother and they get a real-life history lesson when they are transported back in time to the battle at Antietam. They get to meet President Lincoln and have a first-hand experience of the tragedy that is war. I think this book would be great for older grades learning about the Civil War, though it describes things in a rather graphic manner.
  amelianewton | Dec 2, 2016 |
This a great adventure story as Michael and Derek are dropped off at a Civil War Museum and the museum keeper invites them to play a game.Michael and Derek put on Union soldier uniforms, step through a secret door, and suddenly find themselves transported to Antietam just after the battle.
The even meet Abraham Lincoln!!!Readers will also be left wondering whether the trip was just a game or a real experience, especially when the boys find a surprise that just might validate their trip back in time.

This is a 2nd-4th grade book.

I would use this book for the civil rights unit or presidents unit. This is a story that the students will like. Full of adventure and curiosity. ( )
  chelsea84 | Nov 29, 2015 |

When two brothers visit a museum in Harper's Ferry, West Virginia, with their grandmother, they find themselves in a very realistic Civil War setting where they see the Antietam battlefield and meet historical figures from the aftermath of that momentous battle. Includes author's note on the Battle of Antietam.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,516,575 books! | Top bar: Always visible