Five Days in Paris (1995)

by Danielle Steel

901916,988 (3.32)6
The romance of two Americans in Paris, both staying at the Ritz hotel. He is Peter Haskell, 44, a pharmaceutical executive working on a cancer cure who is the father of three sons. She is Olivia Thatcher, 34, wife of a U.S. senator with presidential ambitions, and she is grieving for her son, dead from cancer.… (more)
Recently added byArina40, OLGAHE, proudreaders

Five Days in Paris
by Danielle Steel
Audio read by Victor Garber

Because this is a Danielle Steel novel, of course the heroine is mistreated by her current husband. That's just a given. In this instance, the hero is mistreated by his wife as well. That gives us readers a reason to dislike their current partners and not flinch too much when they get involved in an extramarital affair. I guess. I do have to admit, though, that it is a very sweet love story and I did want them to be together in the end and wasn't sure if it was going to happen for them. I was prepared for The Bridges of Madison County.

I listened to this on audio, narrated by the smooth-voiced Victor Garber. I could listen to him all day. He has such an elegance about him. Because of his voice, I'm pretty sure this may be my favorite Steel novel. ( ( )
  AddictedToMorphemes | Apr 29, 2017 |
It was predictable after a certain point, but the idea for a pill to help cure cancer was definitely interesting. ( )
  JoBDo | Jan 2, 2016 |
Interesting book about compromise, being used and integrity. ( )
  soosthemoose | May 13, 2015 |
Classic romance. He is rich and handome and exploited by his family to make money. She is rich and pretty and a wife of a politician who treats her badly. They meet and fall in love and understand each other without words. Each breaks up with their respective families and they live happily ever after. Very predictable and black-and-white. Light and easy nice 'girl' read: perfect for an airplane. ( )
  e.krepska | Jul 21, 2011 |
My first Danielle Steel book, surprisingly, and it wasn’t too bad. Five Days in Paris is about a corporate married man who goes to Europe for testing on a new product that will revolutionize chemotherapy, only to find himself drawn to the wife of another guest.

It was an easy read and for the most part pretty predictable as to what the characters were going to do, except as I got closer to the end I worried that the happy ending may never happen. Steel did a great job creating an extensive background for not only her main character but even the supporting ones along the way, all the while maintaining a first person point of view. Pretty impressive.

I did however, get a little bored in the beginning wondering when the point of the book was going to start. There was so much background for half of it before all of the main plot started that I worried the ending may be a little rushed, but somehow she pulled it off. I’m sure I will end up reading more Steel in the future but as of this book, I’m not incredibly hooked yet.
  blondierocket | Aug 10, 2009 |
Never give up hope
and if you can,
find the courage
to love again.
d.s.
Five minutes...five days...
and a lifetime forever changed
in a single moment.
To Popeye,
with all my love,
Olive
The weather in Paris was unusually warm as Peter Haskell's plane landed at Charles de Gaulle Airport.

As president of a major pharmaceutical empire, Peter Haskell has everything: power, position, a career and a family that mean everything to him and for which he has sacrificed a great deal. Compromise has been key in Peter Haskell's life, and integrity is the base on which he lives.
Olivia Thatcher is the wife of a famous senator. She has given to her husband's ambitions and career until her soul is bone-dry. She is trapped in a web of duty and obligation, married to a man she once loved and no longer even knows. When her son died, a piece of Olivia died too.
Accidentally, on the night of a bomb threat, they meet in Paris, at the Ritz. Their totally different lives converge for one magical moment in the Place Vendome, as Olivia carefully, silently, steps out of her life and walks away. As the two strangers meet, their lives become briefly enmeshed. In a cafe in Montmartre, their hearts are laid bare. Peter, once so sure of his path, so certain of his marriage and success, is suddenly faced with a professional future in jeopardy. Olivia is no longer sure of anything except that she can't go on anymore.
When Olivia disappears, only Peter suspects that it may not be foul play. And after he finds her again, where will they go from there?
Five days in Paris is all they have. They go back to their separate lives, but nothing is the same. At home again, they both must pursue their lives despite challenges, compromise, and betrayal. Everything they believe is put on the line, until they each realize they must stand fast against compromise and face life's challenges head-on.

Steel's 36th novel is an unforgettable, contemporary story about honor and commitment, love and integrity, that will change readers' lives forever. The president of a major pharmaceutical company and the unhappy wife of a famous senator meet under dire circumstances in Paris, and everything in which they believe is put on the line.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,403,884 books! | Top bar: Always visible