The FitzOsbornes in Exile by Michelle Cooper

The FitzOsbornes in Exile (2010)

by Michelle Cooper

I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith (CMSnails)
    CMSnails: Many have remarked how similar Sophie's tale is to Cassandra's in I Capture the Castle. I would say that the style is very alike but the tales are much different. Both excellent reads!

Really enjoyed this! I think it was more engaging than the first in the series, and I liked Sophie even more here. I loved having a fictional window on life in England as WWII approaches, and look forward to the third book with great anticipation!
  devafagan | Jan 2, 2015 |
The audiobook performance is one of the best I've listened to. ( )
  lunule | Aug 22, 2014 |
Sophie, Veronica and Henry are now living with their wealthy Aunt Charlotte in England, having been exiled from Montmaray after it was bombed by Nazis. Aunt Charlotte is determined to have Sophie, Veronica and the new King, Toby, married soon, but they are more concerned with reclaiming their country and with the impending start of WWII. I loved seeing Sophie mature throughout "The FitzOsbornes in Exile" and use her particular strengths to pull the family through such a difficult time. This is a great book for anyone interested in the history of this time period, as it referenced many different events that led up to WWII. I'm looking forward to reading the next and, I believe, last book in this series. ( )
  TheMadHatters | Mar 6, 2014 |
As the title to this sequel to A Brief History of Montmaray suggests, the FitzOsbornes - the royal family of the tiny kingdom of Montmaray, an island lying midway between Britain and Iberia, in the Bay of Biscay - had gone into exile in Britain, driven from their ancestral home by a Nazi invasion. Living in the lap of luxury provided by their Aunt Charlotte, whose marriage to a wealthy Englishman had established her in that nation's high society, our narrator Sophie, her brilliant cousin Veronica, tomboyish younger sister Henry (Henriette), flippant older brother Toby (now King Tobias!), and (unacknowledged) cousin and friend, Simon Chester, all struggle in their separate ways to adjust to the dramatic turn that events have taken. As Sophie and Veronica endure the "Season," during which Aunt Charlotte attempts to fix their matrimonial prospects, Toby struggles at Oxford, and Simon undertakes a number of projects of his own, they must all of them grapple with the fact that Montmaray has been lost, and, coming together again, begin to plan how best to retake it. Quarreling as much amongst themselves as ever, the FitzOsbornes in exile, whether confronting deranged assassins or evading Nazi agents, are still a force to be reckoned with...

After my somewhat ambivalent feelings regarding Michelle Cooper's first foray into the world of Montmaray's royal family - I enjoyed A Brief History of Montmaray, but not quite as much as I'd expected - I wasn't sure how I would like this second installment. I'd hoped, given the fact that I found the conclusion of the first book stronger than the beginning, that I would like this sequel even more, and I was not disappointed. I raced through The FitzOsbornes in Exile, and enjoyed every minute of it! Yes, Cooper does sometimes feel as if she's doing a bit of an info-dump for the benefit of her readers - "see children? this is why fascism might have appealed to people..." - but it is never so pronounced that it takes away from the excitement of the story, or my involvement with the characters. And it is the characters - from Sophie herself, who suddenly seems so much more mature, to Simon and Toby, whose relationship is anything but simple - that really make this book worthwhile. I felt, in the first book, curiously distant from FitzOsbornes, and I struggled to work up much interest in their lives. Here, by contrast, I was completely wrapped up in their story, and dead to the world, while reading. I will definitely be keeping an eye out for the third and final installment, The FitzOsbornes at War! ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Apr 24, 2013 |
Not as great as the first book (because of one very big spoilery reason), but still definitely worth reading. Having read a biography of the Mitford girls, it was fun to see their names and lives referenced.

So yeah. If you liked the first one, read this. If you didn't like the first one, you are crazy and I am sad for you.

*Stars: I either give 5 or none; either this is a book I will fight for, or it's not, and I only star the ones I am willing to throw down in defense of. Non-star books, please don't take offense. I am weird and my tastes are not necessarily indicative of the worth of anything.
  toplofty_biped | Apr 4, 2013 |
16th January 1937
I write this sitting at an exquisite little Louis the Fifteenth secretaire in the White Drawing Room, using a gold fountain pen borrowed from the King of Montmaray and a bottle of ink provided by one of the footmen.

In January 1937, as Sophia FitzOsborne continues to record in her journal, the members of Montmaray's royal family are living in luxurious exile in England but, even as they participate in the social whirl of London parties and balls, they remain determined to free their island home from the occupying Germans despite growing rumors of a coming war that might doom their country forever.… (more)

18 wanted2 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,913,524 books! | Top bar: Always visible