The Fitzosbornes in Exile (Montmaray…

The Fitzosbornes in Exile (Montmaray Journals) (original 2010; edition 2011)

by Michelle Cooper

2432047,405 (4.16)12
Member:thecaptivereader
Title:The Fitzosbornes in Exile (Montmaray Journals)
Authors:Michelle Cooper
Info:Alfred A. Knopf Books for Young Readers (2011), Hardcover, 464 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:Fiction, Young Adult, Location: England, Author: Australian, Read in 2012

The FitzOsbornes in Exile by Michelle Cooper (2010)

I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith (CMSnails)
    CMSnails: Many have remarked how similar Sophie's tale is to Cassandra's in I Capture the Castle. I would say that the style is very alike but the tales are much different. Both excellent reads!

I found this book even more compelling than the first of the series. Michelle Cooper has a great voice and complex character development and a masterful use of tying historical events to a made up royal family. I was very impressed. ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
Really enjoyed this! I think it was more engaging than the first in the series, and I liked Sophie even more here. I loved having a fictional window on life in England as WWII approaches, and look forward to the third book with great anticipation!
  devafagan | Jan 2, 2015 |
The audiobook performance is one of the best I've listened to. ( )
  lunule | Aug 22, 2014 |
Sophie, Veronica and Henry are now living with their wealthy Aunt Charlotte in England, having been exiled from Montmaray after it was bombed by Nazis. Aunt Charlotte is determined to have Sophie, Veronica and the new King, Toby, married soon, but they are more concerned with reclaiming their country and with the impending start of WWII. I loved seeing Sophie mature throughout "The FitzOsbornes in Exile" and use her particular strengths to pull the family through such a difficult time. This is a great book for anyone interested in the history of this time period, as it referenced many different events that led up to WWII. I'm looking forward to reading the next and, I believe, last book in this series. ( )
  TheMadHatters | Mar 6, 2014 |
16th January 1937
I write this sitting at an exquisite little Louis the Fifteenth secretaire in the White Drawing Room, using a gold fountain pen borrowed from the King of Montmaray and a bottle of ink provided by one of the footmen.

In January 1937, as Sophia FitzOsborne continues to record in her journal, the members of Montmaray's royal family are living in luxurious exile in England but, even as they participate in the social whirl of London parties and balls, they remain determined to free their island home from the occupying Germans despite growing rumors of a coming war that might doom their country forever.… (more)

39 wanted2 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,924,237 books! | Top bar: Always visible