Wither (The Chemical Garden Trilogy) by…

Wither (The Chemical Garden Trilogy) (edition 2011)

by Lauren DeStefano

Member:DarkFaerieTales
Title:Wither (The Chemical Garden Trilogy)
Authors:Lauren DeStefano
Info:Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing (2011), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 368 pages
Collections:Read
Rating:***

Wither by Lauren DeStefano

English (271)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (273)
Second time reading this book and upped it to three stars.
It was the perfect book I need at this time. The world is falling apart, females live to around 20 and males live to around 25. First Generation elders are living a full life span which makes for some very odd marriage arrangements. Just that little bit of V C Andrews ickiness that is sometimes need. Getting tired of sweet books lately. ( )
  greergreer | Mar 1, 2019 |
If a book can command my attention in the first few pages, then it has my heart. To be completely immersed in a story from the very beginning is truly a treat. As soon as I opened Wither, met Rhine and found out what had befallen her, there was no turning back. I read this book with a ravenous appetite, pausing only briefly to jot notes about what I wanted to share with you. Yes, that is how amazing this book is.

Rhine became my hero from the first moment that I met her. Her character is so brave in the face of danger, in the face of adversity. Even when she wasn't sure that she would ever be able to find her brother again she was hopeful. I loved how she simply refused to roll over and accept her fate. I am truly a fan of strong female characters, and Rhine fits that description more than anyone. Her story is heartbreaking, but she is able to stay her same vivid self throughout the entire ordeal. I was enraptured.

The world that Lauren DeStefano builds for the reader is truly beautiful and terrible at the same time. As I mentioned above, the reader is instantly immersed in the world of these characters. It is fascinating to watch these characters as they move through the story. Rhine and her sister wives are young women, and yet they are thrown into the lives of much older women. Watching their plight was so difficult, but I could see the glimmer of hope underneath. Their story pulled me in and kept me captivated the entire time. Add in some exquisite writing, and you have a book that I truly fell in love with.

Since this book is not due out for a while, I won't write anything that might spoil the journey for you. I will say though that the ending to this book was simply perfect to me. After reading so many books lately whose endings were disappointing, reading Wither was truly a treat from cover to cover. I highly recommend you add this to your most watched list! It will be well worth a purchase.
  roses7184 | Feb 5, 2019 |
I LIKED this the first time I read it. A LOT. I remember.

Full review to come. (I gots stuff to say) ( )
  Monica_P | Nov 22, 2018 |
Overall, this was a quick and absorbing read. I felt like the world was pretty fleshed out, even though the premise for said world was kind of flimsy. The heroine was wishy-washy and didn't seem fully developed. I hate the new trend in YA books for girls where one of the biggest dilemmas the herione has to face is choosing between two boys. This book didn't go quite that far (Rhine was always determined she could never really love Linden) but it was heading in that direction. The author and characters also had a habit of repeating themselves and it slowed down the pace slightly. I enjoyed this better than Delirium but not as well as some other dystopian reads.
  aratiel | Sep 5, 2018 |
Rhine is kidnapped and sold off as a bride. She is directed to help repopulate the earth, AND she only has 4 years left to live before a science experiment ends her life. Can she escape?
  mcmlsbookbutler | Jan 24, 2018 |
This is the way the world ends. Not with a bang. But a whimper. ~T.S. Eliot, "The Hollow Men"
For my dad, who turned to me and said, "one day kid, you'll do great things."
I wait.  They keep us in the dark so long that we lose sense of our eyelids.

After modern science turns every human into a genetic time bomb with men dying at age twenty-five and women dying at age twenty, girls are kidnapped and married off in order to repopulate the world.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,849,788 books! | Top bar: Always visible