Wither (The Chemical Garden Trilogy) by…

Wither (The Chemical Garden Trilogy) (edition 2011)

by Lauren DeStefano

Title:Wither (The Chemical Garden Trilogy)
Authors:Lauren DeStefano
Info:Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing (2011), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 368 pages
Collections:Read, Your library

Wither by Lauren DeStefano

English (239)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (241)
Funny thing about Wither, it was good and bad at the same time. Pretty depressing, but captivating and poetic read. I would say, if you like this one you should read The Selection by Kiera Cass, although America had guts not like Rhine who just talked the talk but didn't walk the walk until the very end.

The plot is very frustrating. The only one whose behaviour was making sense was the youngest wife, Cecily. She is a child just from the orphanage and this life is what she's been dreaming of.

But Jenna and Rhine... I have no words for them. *shakes head* One had her sisters shot when she was chosen by Linden, another has a twin brother waiting for her... WTF, girls? Do you think Linden can see in your head? Your passive resistance didn't do eff all for him, because men are clueless that way and you have to spell it out to them.

I was so bloody angry when the girls found out that Linden didn't know how the brides were chosen, that they are snatched from the streets not volunteered. What do you think, Rhine and Jenna did? Right, THEY DIDN'T TELL HIM either! His father is a villain in this book and Linden is a clueless twit but sorry, I would tell everything to him and let him make his own decision... I just wanted to strangle them all and be done with it.

Phew, I'm letting out some steam... I could understand keeping silent if Linden was someone like this...
...a sick psychopath, but it's his father who fits the role.

Anyway, that book was not believable to me, and I would have loved more spark in Rhine and Jenna who had absolutely nothing to lose and could make Linden's life hell if she wanted.

Read at your own risk. It's not a bad read, but it can be extremely frustrating. Similar reads: The Selection by Kiera Cass, Sixteen by Julia Karr. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
I seem to be reading a lot of dystopian and post-apocalyptic novels recently. I find that I either love or hate each one that read, there hasn't really been any middle ground. I think that this book is very dark, it has a gothic feel to it, even though it's supposed to be set in more of a futuristic society. That made for a very good juxtaposition and I also found it sort of entrancing. I started this book in one night and I finished it the same night.
I had to get past some of the dark and twisted things in this novel such as the shooting in the beginning, the way the whole world works really, and then the pregnant thirteen year old. I know all of these things sound like "What the hell did you read this for?" but I really liked that the author wasn't afraid to get into the nitty gritty of her world.
I enjoyed Rhine the most. I loved the fact that she never lost sight of what was important and she kept her goals in the forefront of her mind the whole time. I can get behind a women who knows how to persevere. I am really entranced by this novel and can't wait to read the next one in the series. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 12, 2015 |
Initially, I thought this book would be full of suspense and surprises. While that was not the case, this book was still enjoyable and had an abundance of intrigue. What I liked most about the book was the world building and character development. It is very character driven and I found the supporting cast to be well shaped, which is important since they play an integral part in the story. The book cover synopsis gives a great overview and while there are not really any huge revelations or climatic moments, when I turned the last page I was eager to go out and get the next book. A day later and I am still thinking about Rhine's (the MC) world and this is what leads me to round to 3.5 stars. ( )
  Kristymk18 | Nov 12, 2015 |
Not bad! The ending didn't answer ANY questions (at least mine) but it just makes me want to read the next one in the series. I enjoyed it. :D ( )
  kirako | Oct 20, 2015 |
This book has just driven me nuts in the most polite way.

The ending felt..sort of abrupt. I don't know why. And I just can't get past the fact that she never just..told Linden about her life. About the truth. About the fact that Rhine had a brother, that Jenna's sisters were murdered, that all the girls were kidnapped and the rejects were discarded. I can't get past the fact that if he'd just known the reality that he would have made changes. That he'd have been horrified. And there was really no reason NOT to tell him. Vaughn couldn't have done anything about it once Linden knew. And that really, really bothers me. And the book took way too much suspension of disbelief -- so she's first wife but they've never consummated? O.o Really? And no details about the virus at all.

Calling this A Handmaid's Tale for kids is a good comparison, but A Handmaid's Tale took very little suspension of disbelief -- that's what made it so frightening. This was just frustrating.
  lyrrael | Oct 18, 2015 |
This is the way the world ends. Not with a bang. But a whimper. ~T.S. Eliot, "The Hollow Men"
For my dad, who turned to me and said, "one day kid, you'll do great things."
I wait.  They keep us in the dark so long that we lose sense of our eyelids.

After modern science turns every human into a genetic time bomb with men dying at age twenty-five and women dying at age twenty, girls are kidnapped and married off in order to repopulate the world.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,882,402 books! | Top bar: Always visible