Wither (The Chemical Garden Trilogy) by…

Wither (The Chemical Garden Trilogy) (edition 2011)

by Lauren DeStefano

Member:liezkl
Title:Wither (The Chemical Garden Trilogy)
Authors:Lauren DeStefano
Info:Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing (2011), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 368 pages
Collections:Read, Your library
Rating:***

Wither by Lauren DeStefano

English (249)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (251)
Good dystopian romance, but the fictional world had lots of holes in it, and made it hard for me to accept the story as plausible. North America is the only continent left on a flooded Earth? Human life span ends at 20 for females, and 25 for males. Females are kidnapped off the streets to become pampered wives for rich men. The main character was orphaned with her brother, living in dire straits in a ruined NYC. After she is kidnapped, she becomes the favored first wife of a not so bad guy named Linden. I'm not sure why she really wants to escape with Gabriel, one of the workers in the mansion, into a ruined world. In spite of these flaws, I finished the book in a couple of days. Still, I don't think I'll bother with the next book in the series, unless I hear good reviews. ( )
  fromthecomfychair | Feb 11, 2016 |
Reading the synopsis of the book from the cover, I wasn't impressed. I almost didn't give it a shot. But oh my gosh I'm SO GLAD that I did! I couldn't help myself; I love the characters, each and every one, and it was so intelligently woven. Truthfully, I listened to this one, so maybe it was the reader who captured the creepy and tortured surroundings... but I can't wait for more. Incredible! ( )
  bjoelle5 | Feb 10, 2016 |
I would actually only give this book 3.5 stars, but it was okay. It's kind of frustrating when you don't connect with the main character and prefer her "un-love" interest to the actual guy you're supposed to be rooting for. The character of Linden was the best for me and despite Rhine's situation, I think she could have easily loved Linden, or at least tell him about all the bad stuff going on in the house.

The absolute worst part of the book is the lack of Gabriel character development. Rhine isn't so in love with him but I feel like we know nothing about him. It's hard to make a character likeable if we know nothing about him. ( )
  uhohxkate | Jan 31, 2016 |
There are no spoilers in this review.

I recommend this book. It is a good story. Semi-post apocalyptic, genetic engineering threatens to destroy humanity where Males only live until they are 25 and Females live until their twenties.

This is the story of one Rhine Ellery. A girl living with her Brother Rowan, 16 years old. Parent killed in a tragic accident. She was captured by a wealthy scientist who is trying to find the antidote for the genetic disorder that has taken place. Her purpose? To be one of his son's 3 wives and to produce children for him.

There are many sub plots to this story all interwoven that brings out the human in all the characters. Rhine gets caught up in the day to day of her captivity. She fades in and out of which would be better, a life of poverty and freedom or a life of wealth and prosperity in captivity.

This book has all sorts of interesting characters none more interesting then Rhine's would be father in law...the wealthy but evil Vaughn. Rhine has many adventures inside the mansion as she pieces together what happened to her. How she was captured. Why she was captured and who is behind this entire lifestyle. Seems that Dr. Vaughn is more than he seems and his control over all that goes on in the mansion is extensive.. But how extensive? Does Rhine have the capacity to escape?

Rhine also forms new relationships between his sister wives (the other two girls that were kidnapped into this life) her new husband Linden and a servant named Gabriel. Soon it comes to pass that the lines between love and hate blurr as she starts to have feelings for her husband and is also torn between that love and the love she has found with Gabriel.

I like the way the author interwove the plots. Some of the sub plots I thought were a little unbelievable. I found the author struggling with time, as Rhine has so many precious seconds left as her light was set to expire by her 20th birthday. I thought that the story could have been told in a shorter length and that parts of it were just simply dragged out and went into tangents that it really did not need to go through. And of course, in saying this, there were some sub plots that were just disconnected from the rest of the story so, I was left wondering why they were even included.

I will leave it up to you to decide but even with it's flaws (which I found to be minor) It was a good read. The writing captivated me from the very beginning and it kept me interested enough to move on and say, "what's next?"

Being a guy, I will be the first to say that I was a bit confused as to how Rhine thought, but I used my confusion as lack of knowledge and a willingness to learn. As this story was told from the perspective of Rhine's thoughts you got her opinions only. I felt that this was insightful (as her character was insightful) but it also kept me guessing. I was always left with the thought that maybe Rhine could be wrong or did not have all the information. This made the read both interesting and frustrating at the same time.

So, if you are interested in an interesting plot with good character development, I would recommend this book. Overlook the fact that some of the story is somewhat redundant and you have a very good read! ( )
  DVerdecia | Jan 29, 2016 |
Older YA, disturbing concept. Good story though. ( )
  keindi | Jan 23, 2016 |
This is the way the world ends. Not with a bang. But a whimper. ~T.S. Eliot, "The Hollow Men"
For my dad, who turned to me and said, "one day kid, you'll do great things."
I wait.  They keep us in the dark so long that we lose sense of our eyelids.

After modern science turns every human into a genetic time bomb with men dying at age twenty-five and women dying at age twenty, girls are kidnapped and married off in order to repopulate the world.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,179,656 books! | Top bar: Always visible