Wither (The Chemical Garden Trilogy) by…

Wither (The Chemical Garden Trilogy) (edition 2011)

by Lauren DeStefano

Member:liezkl
Title:Wither (The Chemical Garden Trilogy)
Authors:Lauren DeStefano
Info:Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing (2011), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 368 pages
Collections:Read, Your library
Rating:***

Wither by Lauren DeStefano

English (234)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (236)
I honestly don’t know what to feel about Wither. All I know is I was hoping that Rhine would not fall in love with Linden. I didn’t like him nor did I think he deserved it, even though he’s supposedly innocent of everything. I want her and Gabriel to be together if anything. I also didn’t get exactly how people would die so young. There was a very brief explanation, but not one that really made me buy into the whole deal. And Linden, just..ugh. How could he not know? He seemed so sheltered. He would have to know something was up with his father. ( )
  CinaChilders | Sep 10, 2014 |
Can I just start by saying that this book was fantastic? Because it was. It really, really was.

When I opened the book and read the first chapter, I knew that this was going to be a great book. The plot can be summed up in two sentences. *ahem* Rhine is captured and is bought by a Housemaster who marries her, along with two other girls. She wants to go back to her brother, but must play by the rules in order to find the perfect moment to escape.

From this summary, you will probably realize one thing. This book, mostly takes place in a house. A rich house. Despite this being a dystopian novel we don't really get a sense of this, because of the location. There are hints, for example the first chapter when the Gatherers show up, when certain characters die, despite their young age, and when Rhine tells us about how Rowan and her survived out in Manhattan. Other than this, not so much is shown.

So if you are looking for a heavy dystopian novel, this one might get you disappointed. But you should still give it a try.

The characters, for the most part, are fleshed out nicely. I do think Rhine was slightly naive about her situation, but she's young so I forgave her. I did love Rhine's sister wives, Jenna and Cecily, though. Jenna was a fantastic character, who was smart, observant, and knew how to play the game. Cecily, while naive like Rhine, did show that she's observant and can make things happen for her.

I liked the interactions between the sister wives and their husband. Linden, despite some of his problems, made for a better love interest than Gabriel.

I really loved this book. So much so that once I finished, I went out and got Fever. Yay! In terms of dystopian novels, this is different, but it does have a good premise and an interesting story.

A solid 4.5 ( )
  pdbkwm | Sep 8, 2014 |
I was reluctant to read this novel for a while after reading a few mixed reviews. However, I am glad I did - Wither is not perfect, but it does incorporate some of the best elements of fiction and dystopia to create its story. In a futuristic society in which disease has been cured at the cost of men dying at 25 and women at 20, the 16-year-old Rhine is kidnapped to be a sister-wife to a wealthy young man. Good reading, recommended for anyone who enjoys YA dystopian novels! ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Aug 24, 2014 |
In a world where men die at 25 and women at 20, the latest miracle to humankind turns out to be anything but. There were a few hints but not a whole lot of depth to the world building to give it a dystopian feeling that I was craving. The best parts of it I saw through Rhine's memories alone.

I didn't start off liking Rhine too much, as although the air of the book is depressing and more or less stays that way, I felt that that she could have snuck a few more emotions in between it all. Even if she is kidnapped, imprisoned, forced to marry and eventually bear children, in a house where the fairy tale-like setting is solely upstairs. I also felt the bond between her and Gabriel was just too sparse apart to create the feelings between them that was supposed to be there. The ending left me somewhat unfulfilled as well.

Overall a good read, but certainly not a cheerful one, and I will be looking into the sequel to see where Rhine goes next. ( )
  Musefall | Jul 29, 2014 |
Why did I wait so long to read this book?

Within the first four pages, my jaw was slack and eyes wide and mind stunned with how intense this book began. I mean, if reading those first few pages isn’t enough to grab you right out of the gate, I don’t know what more you’re looking for. Because that was INSANE. (In the very best way.)

Poor Rhine! Stolen away and forced to marry into a polygamous marriage with a complete stranger, leaving her twin brother to wonder what happened to her and imagine the worst. But while she’s essentially being held as a prisoner in the mansion, she does find friends in her sister wives as well as a certain attendant–Gabriel.

Now I do love Rhine and Gabriel’s interaction with each other–I do!

Is it bad that I love Linden?

I know that his wives are all taken by force and ripped away from the lives they had, but throughout the whole book I had the feeling that he had nothing to do with that. And I was right! He’s gentle and caring and with all the time Rhine has to spend with him, I can’t help but fall for him a little bit . . . He’s a product of the sheltered life he’s been raised in and I can’t curse him for that–he’s doing what he can with what he has and what he knows.

The problem is that Linden’s creepy old dad, Housemaster Vaughn, tells him only what he wants Linden to hear. Housemaster Vaughn is the sadistic, evil old gargoyle responsible for the deaths of the girls and experimenting on dead bodies in the hope of finding a cure to the virus that’s killing off all the younger generation. His intention is admirable, being that he wants to find a cure. However, his methods are twisted and creepy and wrong.

Is it bad that his depravity made me love the story more?

Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely hate the guy and he gives me the creeps like none other. But it enhances the story, and I’m the kind of person that thrives on a creepy and chilling plot.

And way to leave me hanging, DeStefano! Good thing I was already prepared and bought all of The Chemical Garden books before I’d even read this one;) I knew this was a book I’d respond to and love. AND, on a semi-related note, if you’re on Twitter and not following @LaurenDeStefano, you’re doing it wrong;)

RATING: 4.5 ( )
  danitronmc | Jun 19, 2014 |
This is the way the world ends. Not with a bang. But a whimper. ~T.S. Eliot, "The Hollow Men"
For my dad, who turned to me and said, "one day kid, you'll do great things."
I wait.  They keep us in the dark so long that we lose sense of our eyelids.

After modern science turns every human into a genetic time bomb with men dying at age twenty-five and women dying at age twenty, girls are kidnapped and married off in order to repopulate the world.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,769,855 books! | Top bar: Always visible