Wither (The Chemical Garden Trilogy) by…

Wither (The Chemical Garden Trilogy) (edition 2011)

by Lauren DeStefano

1,463None5,089 (3.89)60
Member:liezkl
Title:Wither (The Chemical Garden Trilogy)
Authors:Lauren DeStefano
Info:Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing (2011), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 368 pages
Collections:Read, Your library
Rating:***

Wither by Lauren DeStefano

2011 (25) ARC (26) chemical garden trilogy (9) death (13) dystopia (114) dystopian (81) ebook (9) fantasy (30) fiction (43) Florida (16) forced marriage (10) future (18) genetic engineering (37) genetics (10) kidnapping (24) marriage (13) polygamy (59) pregnancy (10) read (17) read in 2011 (20) romance (47) science fiction (74) series (25) teen (21) to-read (89) unread (11) virus (10) YA (81) young adult (108) young adult fiction (12)

English (225)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (227)
This book is kinda depressing, another dystopian book. It has less of a revolution, and more of one girls plight to live her life. In this society a virus has stopped girls from living past 20 and boys die at 25. Rhyne lives with her twin in what is left of Manhattan until she is kidnapped and forced to marry a wealthy house governor. While she plots her escape she becuase friends with her sister wives and has a thing for one of the servants. She finds out that her father-in-law is plotting something evil and she must get away. But time is running out and she is very far from home. I found this book intriguing, mostly because the author is so descriptive and I have been listening to an audible version. On to book two! ( )
  LoftyIslanders | Apr 9, 2014 |
I came across this in paperback at a cheap shop for $2. I thought what the heck, might be o.k. Well I couldn't put it down. I had never heard of this author or this series of books. I surprised myself, enjoying every minute of it. In fact I ordered the other 2 in the series, and they were in hardback, but have yet to read them. I felt I was kind of too old to really enjoy this, and maybe it was more for teenagers, but there you go. A bit of fantasy, a bit of disaster movie type theme, looking forward to seeing what happens next. ( )
  Dharma05 | Apr 5, 2014 |
I surprised myself with this one - I actually enjoyed it.
I mean, I wasn't really expecting to as a lot of my Goodreads friends rated this one extremely low, but you've got to make your own opinion, right?

Firstly, I am a sucker for dystopian stories; maybe this tainted my view but it meant I started out ready to enjoy. I've read that a lot of people struggled to get into this one but something grabbed my attention from the early stages. The characters were believable and I grew to emphasise with their situations.

Maybe I am an anomaly, but I'd recommend. ( )
  LaurenKathryn | Mar 31, 2014 |
I know, I know. I'm a year behind on reading this book. I have finally gotten around to reading this book and I am not disappointed. This was one of those hype books that I was kind of weary about. I noticed people either loved it or didn't love it. I, personally, loved it. I am already eager to get my hands on Fever.

I just want to say that when reading this book, I couldn't imagine myself in this world. Why? Because I'm 21. I would have been dead! Seriously. It was the creepiest thing ever to be reading this book and telling myself that I would not be in that world at all. It was so sad. Even more sad, was the lives that these people had to live.

Rhine was a worthy female heroine. While she didn't wield weapons, she used her charm, smarts, and courage to get what she wanted in this book. There were times when I was incredibly frustrated and just wanted her to tell the truth. For instance, when Linden, her husband, makes it clear that he has no idea what goes on in the girl kidnapping and killing ring, I wanted her to tell him. I felt like he needed to know.

Speaking of Linden, I really liked him. I don't know why. I guess I knew from the beginning that he was just ignorant and naive. I felt bad for him a lot throughout this book because I could tell that he was genuinely getting attached to Rhine. Their relationship was so sweet and sad at the same time. And I don't care what Rhine says, their relationship was not a lie.

Jenna and Cecily, sisters wives to Rhine were both great contrasts to Rhine. Cecily is thirteen, naive, and eager to please. Jenna is eighteen, resigned, and ready to die. The three sister wives' relationships are by far my favorite aspect of the book. I honestly don't know why. The idea of polygamy marraige does not appeal to me whatsoever, but the way DeStefano describes and develops their relationships, made me see a whole other side to this controversial topic.

And then we have Gabriel. The same age as Rhine, the two quickly became friends. He was genuine toward her when she was first taken to the mansion and kept her company as often as he could. The little romance that sparked proved to give the book some interesting turn of events. I am ready to see what happens in the second book as far as their relationship goes.

The creepiest part of this whole book is Vaughn. Linden's father. From the beginning it was evident that was would be a bad guy. The attendant's and first wife at the time were scared of him. It immediately becomes clear. He is determined to find an antidote and will do anything. He will also do anything to anyone who tries to cross him.

The only part about this book that rubbed me the wrong was was modern clothing. I know that seems like an incredibly stupid thing to get frustrated with, but when I imagine a future, I don't still picture jeans and wool sweaters. Again, I know it's a stupid thing. But I was just hopeful for the future to find something more comfy than jeans.

If you have not read this series yet, I highly recommend it. It is a great, intoxicating read and you will not be able to put it down. ( )
  Ashley_McElyea | Dec 15, 2013 |
The world that Lauren DeStefano builds in this book combines several dystopian concepts - genetic engineering and reproduction, a virus of epic proportions, anarchy and survival of the fittest. 70 years ago mankind finds a way to make "perfect" babies, and then their babies suffer the consequences - death at 25 for men and 20 for women - with no cure on the horizon. Prostitution, polygamy, human experimentation, wide-scale murder, the prevalence of orphanages, and a country divided on whether mankind is worth saving are all issues in the plot. Plus, all of this takes place after a world war has destroyed all but North America - or so the history goes.
The main character, Rhine Ellery, is forced into a polygamous marriage at the age of 16 to the rich Linden, age 21, along with the flighty 14-year-old Cecily and ex-prostitute, 18-year-old Jenna. Rhine's main goal is escape, but each girl in the marriage has her own motivations and goals. I found their relationships with one another far more interesting than each one's relationship with Linden. Poor Linden lives under the illusions that his aging father feeds him while suffering from the loss of his first love, Rose. While Rhine makes part of her goal to avoid consummating the marriage with Linden, her sister wives have other ideas, but ironically, jealousy among the wives is not the green-eyed monster that I think many would expect. While Cecily is typically self-absorbed and high maintenance, she still wants her sister-wives to bear children, and even Jenna, who hates Linden from the first day, sees no hypocrisy in sharing a bed with him. I also admired Rhine for her extreme patience and endurance with Cecily's immature and naive behavior, though I don't think I would have chosen denial over full disclosure to both Cecily and Linden.
Rhine's secret relationship seems to find it's power in free-formed friendship, without any expectations or requirements. Simply put, Rhine wants her freedom, and she will find it in any form she can grasp. Except for Rhine's memories, almost the entire book takes place on the grounds of Linden's mansion, so I am anxious to see what will happen in the next book in the series, Fever. ( )
  JacobsBeloved | Nov 25, 2013 |
This is the way the world ends. Not with a bang. But a whimper. ~T.S. Eliot, "The Hollow Men"
For my dad, who turned to me and said, "one day kid, you'll do great things."
I wait.  They keep us in the dark so long that we lose sense of our eyelids.

After modern science turns every human into a genetic time bomb with men dying at age twenty-five and women dying at age twenty, girls are kidnapped and married off in order to repopulate the world.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,426,983 books! | Top bar: Always visible