Secrets and Shadows by Shannon Delany

Secrets and Shadows

by Shannon Delany

Recently added byprivate library, MABoone, Rosario_1105, wickedshizuku, JenAndJon, sachaurora, NoelleSmithh

I didn’t think it was possible for me to love this book series anymore than I already did, and then came along Secrets and Shadows. I loved 13 to Life so much, but Secrets and Shadows blew my mind. Shannon Delany has written an amazing sequel that will leaving you wanting more!

There is so much I want to say about this book but just do not know how to put into words. Shannon Delany literally takes you on such a ride on this book. The story picks you up and does not let go until literally the last page. And boy, does she know how to play with your emotions, especially when it comes to Pietr and Jess’s relationship. I literally loved every minute of reading this book. I could not put it down until I got to the end.

So much happened in this book that I felt was extremely important to the series as a whole. I do not want to spoil anything that happens but a lot of big stuff goes down. Like A LOT! Even though a lot happened in this book, it did not feel like so much happened that it was impossible to comprehend everything going. Every thing flowed so well that when things were revealed they just clicked into place. The story flowed so well, it felt like I was reading for such a short amount of time when I got to the end but really hours had passed I was so engrossed in the story.

I have to say, I loved the character progression in this book. All the characters from the first book all grew and more of the secondary characters in the first book became major players in this book. I really liked learning more about each of the Rusakovas, especially Max. I became a huge fan of Max after this book. In the first book, I loved Pietr, I still love him to death, but Max really grew on me in this book and I love him for other reason than I love Pietr. I really loved what Shannon did with Derek, he became a very important person in this book, and not just because Jess liked him. And Sarah. Ugh. I never really liked her in 13 to Life, but in this book, she is just horrible. I do not want to talk to much about Jess and Pietr because I feel I will let something spoilery slip and I don’t want to do that. But I love their relationship, I was really glad Jess finally admits that she does not like Pietr being with Sarah. There are some really great scenes between Pietr and Jess, even if they are not what I wanted to occur.

There were so many great scenes in Secrets and Shadows, but my favorite has got to be the Halloween/Birthday party at the Rusakovas’ house. This scene was just perfect. A lot of great things happened, their was tension, and Max being, well, Max. Definitely my favorite scene in the entire book.

AND THE ENDING! Boy. Does Shannon Delany know how to write an ending that leaves you wanting more. I’m not always a fan of cliff hanger endings, but this one got it completely right. I was literally in shocked speechless by the end of the book.

This book was awesome. I was so involved and so engrossed in reading it. I wanted to laugh, scream, cry, and hug parts of this book. This book far surpassed anything I was expecting. I am completely in love with it, even more so then the first book. Even though I have a signed ARC of this book, I’m still going to be picking up a finished copy of Secrets and Shadows when it is released. In fact, I have it pre-ordered. Now if only it were August so I could read Bargains and Betrayals ( )
1 vote danijohns | Aug 2, 2011 |
This book could only be describe in one word: Torture. Pure torture. I mean, my heart just ache and well, the writing is pretty dang good.
Torture. Why? Well what else is hard to watch then the one person your in love with be with someone else. I mean that tough. The drama in this book is great, but pure torture. You don't know how many times I wanted to be Jessie just so I can slap Pietr.

The characters I feel in this book did no growing up whats so ever. They made the same mistakes over and over again. They torture each other by going out with other people, ignoring each other and well, only causing more grief for everyone else around them. I felt like at times that they were just selfish. The only one I felt grew up a bit and it wasn't toward the end is Jessie. She finally put her foot down (Thank God) and just said things that been need to said. I really admire her strenght and her strong determination. She really blew my mind away with how she handled everything. Though at times, I want to slap her as well.

The plot line in this book wasn't very different from the last book. They still dealt with the CIA and hunters, plus all the drama in the relationship. I am a little disappointed that things were repeated in stead of something new.

The ending again, left off with another cliffhanger. I an not satisfied with how the book ended. I wanted it to be different but again, no. Though I am still interested in reading the next book just because I have to know what happens. Overall, it was okay cause it can hook you in easily with the story line but very torturous. ( )
  Bookswithbite | Jul 22, 2011 |
I was in the middle of a book funk when I read this, so I don't mean to offend anyone with my take on this sequel. I was bummed with it. I was hoping for more action and a lot less drama. I can't stand the sort of forced love triangle between Pieter, Jess and Sarah. I mean really? You love the guy but you push him on your psychotic friend? And then get pissed when he starts falling for her? Gag. It's sick and not in a good way. I was also a little bit confused on where we were going on this ride. Still trying to break out mom and find a cure right? Oh just kidding! We can't cure ourselves now since we need all our supernatural powers to rescue her. And working with the CIA? Yeah, probably not a good idea seeing as how they keep trying to kill you. Ehh, so you see my problem right? I want to love it, I liked the first one, but I was just not in a good place and the characters annoyed me. I say give it a try if you even remotely liked the first. ( )
  MissHavoc | Apr 29, 2011 |
I really liked this novel, however, it did drag in some places. For instance, it took over 100 pages before the main character and her boyfriend decided to call it quits and another 150 pages before they were truly back together-and even that's shaky. On one hand, the novel was fast-paced (werewolf findings and scenes, developments between the main character and a few minor characters, etc..) and on the other hand it was slow (relationships, school events, etc..).
The main character was a little bit annoying, even whiny, at times. However, I did like her enough to want to read more of her story. Her boyfriend, Pietr, was truly annoying in his "Twilightlike belief in the main characters' human fragility". Other than those quirks, I did enjoy the novel and would recommend the book to girls of teen and young adult age. ( )
  Icecream18 | Apr 13, 2011 |
I diagnosed the first 13 to Life book as having Trilogy Syndrome, and the sequel is as good an opportunity as any to raise awareness of this crippling narrative disorder. Trilogy Syndrome occurs, appropriately enough, in three phases: Phase one is ADD: throwing out a lot of ideas and plot hooks and not following up on a lot of them, leaving the development and resolution for further books. Phase two is ennui: Having set up everything, and needing to put off the resolution until the big finale, the patient winds up meandering around and getting nothing much accomplished. Phase three is mania: running around half-crazed trying to tie up all these plot threads before you hit the wordcount limit. 13 to Life had a bad case of phase 1. Secrets and Shadows has moved on to phase 2, but the series' condition is being treated with an injection of wit and character, and I'm pleased to say that the patient is responding to treatment rather well.

Read the full review at Lupines and Lunatics
  LupLun | Apr 9, 2011 |
In a seemingly standard suburban sprawl outside the city of Farthington something has gone wrong.

When creatures other than werewolves begin prowling the streets of Junction, Jess Gillmansen watches new alliances form and others fall apart as hard choices must be made.

Shannon Delany is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,603,158 books! | Top bar: Always visible