A Beautiful Dark by Jocelyn Davies

A Beautiful Dark

by Jocelyn Davies

Jocelyn Davies has written what I lovingly call "book candy". So easy and delicious to devour, that it might just be a sin. Books like this may or may not knock my socks off, but they'll keep me reading on and on until I'm finished. A Beautiful Dark was just that for me. Nothing too heavy, nothing mind blowing, but a sweeping and enjoyable read nonetheless.

Skye is a wonderfully vivid character. The reader is treated to a view of Skye's entire life, including her tough past and her bright present with her friends. She is funny, smart, sweet, and a loyal friend. It was honestly hard not to appreciate Skye, even when I felt a little bit frustrated by her choices (or lack thereof). She's a real person. It just so happens that she has an extraordinary side to her as well.

If that wasn't enough, Joceyln Davies offers up two very different boys for the reader to choose between. One light, one dark. One cocky and charismatic and the other stoic and at peace. Devin and Asher are like night and day, but this works very well for the story. The tension that exists between these two crackles off the pages. Their existence makes Skye's story so much more intriguing.

As I mentioned above, the story line tends to fall into a pattern that ends up a little easy to anticipate at times. A Beautiful Dark is, at it's core, an angel book. It follows a lot of the same rules that books in this category often do. Light and dark. Good and evil. Skye's future is hinged on which she chooses. What kept me immersed in the story though was the unique set of rules that each side had in place. Davies doesn't just allow her boys free reign over their lives, there are rules that must be followed. I won't spoil, but it does make things much more interesting.

The bottom line? This is a great read. I didn't find it to be anything absolutely unique or groundbreaking, but it was a great read nonetheless. I was looking for something a little less serious and a little more fun, and I found that in A Beautiful Dark. I'm not one to compare books, but I will say that if you enjoy paranormal romance this will be a book you are sure to fall in love with. Good luck choosing sides! ( )
  roses7184 | Feb 5, 2019 |
Read my overall review of the whole series here! Spoiler Free!

This is one of those books that I finished reading and went, Huh, do I read the next one?

This book wasn't overly impressive to me. I liked how Davies presented the angel clans being rivals in their magical powers and why they have the powers that they do in what is an otherwise obvious division between angels (ie. those in heaven vs those who have fallen). But nothing was overly refreshing or new.

What I didn’t enjoy was Skye or the love triangle. Skye is the reason I created the tag "annoying heroine" so I hope that is enough said. The love triangle is the typical bad boy vs good boy vs BFF (I guess that makes it a square?) and I don't like reading about love triangles.

There is some action, but not really until the end.

Overall: If you can tolerate angst-y, spoiled heroines who can’t make up their mind and like angel stories, check it out.

seriesousbooks | Feb 7, 2018 |
Pretty ho-hum.

Ending sucked. Was surprised but didn't like the way it ended. I am curious but I feel like it was a cheap trick to get me to read the sequel. I am curious though, and I may (grudgingly) read the sequel. We'll see. ( )
  Diamond.Dee. | Jul 3, 2015 |
The night of Skye's seventeenth birthday - during the surprise party she told her friends not to throw yet again - she meets two strangers. Both are mysterious in their own right, yet complete opposites of each other: one is dark haired and reckless, the other fair and controlled. Opposite ends of the spectrum, yet both incredibly appealing to Skye who can't get them out of her head.

Or her life it seems. Both boys, Asher the daring one and Devin the calm one, seem to keep popping up at every moment.

Skye isn't sure what the boys want from her, all she knows is that she finds herself drawn to both of them . . . and that strange things started happening to and around her once they made their appearance in town. Soon, she's not only questioning who these 'cousins' that can't stand each other are, but what it might mean about her present - and her past.

In the beginning - and even into the middle - of A Beautiful Dark there are a lot of hints that something paranormal is afoot. It's not clear what it is or even, necessarily, just who it involves but for at least half of the book, there are a lot of hints dropped that something is eventually going to be revealed - both to Skye and to the reader.

It makes that first part of the book a quick read. The reader can't help but wonder where all these hints are going and what it's all leading to. While that's all happening, we get a nice introduction to the different characters - Skye and her friends Cassie, Dan and Ian as well as Devin and Asher. We learn some of Skye's story - what's happened in her seventeen years of life.

However, once that paranormal 'what' of all those clues was revealed, you're left waiting. Waiting for something a little more emotional, for something with a little more action, just . . . more. Maybe there were too many little hints that something was coming and not enough of the something in this book (its a trilogy)? There just wasn't that emotional connection or that real oomph where you really engage as a reader.

The beginning was much better than the end . . .personally, I'm not even sure how I feel about the end. I am holding out hope for the other two books in this trilogy, though. There was a lot of good setup in this first book and I'm hoping that with more time/room to expand the rest can really grow.

Rating: 7/10

thank you to the publisher for my copy of this book for review.
  BookSpot | May 18, 2015 |
Contemporary, Paranormal, Romance, Young Adult

Colorado

The night that Skye turns seventeen she meets two very different and enigmatic strangers. Their appearance in her life also manages to send it into a tail spin. Asher is dark and wild and Devin is his complete opposite being fair and aloof. The only thing Skye knows about them is that their presence seems to coincide with several strange events that are happening. She doesn’t know what they want from her or why they seem to follow her everywhere.

Skye ends up discovering a secret in the dead of a bitingly cold Colorado winter night. A secret that threatens to shatter the world she has always known. She is falling for Asher and yet can’t seem to stay away from Devin which is tearing her apart. What she soon finds out is that her choice will end up reaching farther than the three of them could begin to imagine.

This is the start of a series that starts out fast and pulls the reader into the story without letting go even after the last page is reached. The characters are well written and intriguing. The story slowly unfolds in such a way that it makes it very hard to put the book down until the reader finds out what is exactly going on. While it ends on a cliffhanger it proves to work with the story line and will have readers eagerly wanting to read the next book in the series. The story also takes some great twists and turns to keep the reader on the edge of their seats. This is one book worth checking out. It is also a book that while it seems to be lengthy once the readers starts they will find that they quickly reach the end long before they are ready too. ( )
  lrhubble | Nov 12, 2014 |
For my grandparents Sandra and Mark Messler, who have been saving a place for my first novel on their coffee table since I was old enough to spell
It happened at night.

When Skye, who lives with her aunt in Boulder, Colorado, turns seventeen and is suddenly pursued by two boys who are polar opposites, secrets of her true identity--and destiny--begin to emerge.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,563,046 books! | Top bar: Always visible