The Faerie Ring by Kiki Hamilton

The Faerie Ring (edition 2012)

by Kiki Hamilton

Info:Tor Teen (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:Already Read, Read but unowned
Tags:faerie, fantasy, London, Victorian, young adult

The Faerie Ring by Kiki Hamilton

An impressive debut!! Loved it. ( )
  BookLoversLife | Apr 24, 2014 |
Historical fiction is not usually my cup of tea (no real motive behind that), but I enjoyed the historical tidbits sprinkled here and there.
This has been a quick read, with a light prose and a plot that advanced at a steady pace, without the ever-so-annoying useless detours and lenghty descriptions.

This is proof that you can actually write a nice book without anything new or particularly original. Every element was something already known, from the golden ring with misterious inscriptions that can compel people to look at it, to the boyish female character who turns out to be a beautiful girl when polished.

The faerie aspects of the story are treated with the right amounts of initial disbelief and increasing understanding, so nothing feels just thrown on your face (or the character's).

There's a little slowdown around 2/3 of the novel and the ending felt somewhat rushed: that's why I knocked down a star in my rating. ( )
  sbinifera | Nov 8, 2013 |
WARNING: this rant is HEAVY ON SPOILERS (for what I've read anyways)

I was really thinking of droping this book for now (page 144 of 343). Maybe it's me, maybe I'm not in the mood for this. Or it may be the violent disregard of one of the most essential rules of storytelling: make it believable. This isn't believable, and believe me, it's not because of the faeries. Tiki (rhymes with Kiki) is just dumb and annoying and comes up with the most complicated, cockamamie plans ever... like buying a cheap dress to pretend to be a noble girl; or going to a royal ball. Of course the author comes up with pretty unbelievable things herself: like the heroine entering Buckingham Palace in the back of a carriage; or a prince just dropping a Crown Jewel on a rug. Or even the heroine entering the palace a second time with her cheap dress and no invitation (let's not forget the heroine is a street urchin). Not to mention some guy the heroine doesn't trust telling her... "that ring belongs to the faeries" and the heroine like... totally believing him without the slightest persuasion needed.

I think I'll finish this just to be able to write a fair review, but I think this is one book that is simply not for me. The concept is good and everything (London, Victorian era, a tough main character and mysterious ring!) but since the actions of the heroine make me guffaw disgustedly in disbelief at every turn... well, it's going to be difficult. :P

EDIT (now on page 192): Forget it. No way. The whole thing was about the ring being unsafe because it wasn't in the palace; faeries can't steal the ring when it's in the palace. But... now the heroes have to steal the ring from the palace (Tiki went to the ball to put it back) because the faeries have infiltrated the palace? Erm... if it was that easy why didn't the faeries infiltrate the palace before this? No, I'm not reading any more. I just... *snort*
  slayra | Sep 21, 2013 |
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales.

Quick & Dirty: You will be captivated by the world that Hamilton has built and be enchanted by the romance of the story.

Opening Sentence: “You won’t be here pickin’ pockets, would you?”

The Review:

Kiki Hamilton’s The Faerie Ring is set in 1871 London. She has created a world that I want to be a part of. While Hamilton portrayed a time filled with problems and poverty, she also described a world of secrets and enchantment.

Tara Kathleen, or Tiki, lost her parents at an early age. She then ran away from the home of her aunt to escape the creepy watch of her uncle. Now she has left comfort only to live in poverty, stealing her way for survival not only for herself, but for the orphans that she considers to be her new family. The only memories she has left are the faerie stories that her mother told her as a child. While looking for a warm meal to bring home to a sick orphan, Clara, Tiki steals a ruby ring. Tiki is instantly memorized by the beauty and decides that selling this ring is the only way to cure Clara. But of course, it’s never that easy, is it? The ring belongs to the Queen of England, herself! There is more to the ring than meets the eye. A well-known person on the streets is Rieker, who befriends Tiki. He explains that the ring represents a truce between the faerie world and the human world. Now that the ring is out of royal protection, everyone will be seeking the ring.

Secrets unfold and truths are revealed in this historical world. Not only does the tale of the ring unfold, but so does Tiki’s past. Like the ring, there is more to our little Tiki.

I love Tiki and her large heart. I enjoyed how she was written and every detail that went towards her character. Tiki is an example of a well-rounded protagonist. Her strengths and weaknesses compliment the story in an amazing way. I also loved the promise of her future, of who she could become and where it would take the story. Even if this was just a stand a lone book, but I am glad it’s not, I would have been happy.

And then there is Rieker. I did not expect to fall in love with him as much as I did. He is endearing, but also mysterious and captivating. He is the kindred soul that balances Tiki’s broken heart. Their relationship blossomed as each page passed and I was caught in the romance. But the secrets that he holds? Who saw them coming? The brilliance of Hamilton’s genius and creative mind is that she gave us an amazing story and added a little extra without going over the top.

Hamilton did such a fantastic job writing The Faerie Ring. The story was paced so well that it was so easy to get lost in this world. The images were so detailed that I could see the scene play in my mind. The scenes were so well thought out that everything said was believable. I started in the morning and finished at night. I just simply couldn’t put it down.

Everyone has to read this, now, if you haven’t already. You will be captivated by the world that Hamilton has built and be enchanted by the romance of the story

FTC Advisory: Tor Teen/Macmillan provided me with a copy of The Faerie Ring. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review. ( )
  DarkFaerieTales | Jun 27, 2013 |
For some reason the synopsis of this book didn't grab me but the cover and great reviews did. I can't fathom why though, I love Historical Fiction and Fantasy and this book has both. Victorian London is such a great setting for a book like The Faerie Ring and Kiki Hamilton does a great job transporting us there. Not only does she do a great job describing the setting, there is a map provided at the beginning of the book and in the Authors notes at the end she tells you that you can visit the sites if you happen to be in London. If it were possible I would be on the next plane so I could I hang out in St. James Park and look for the fey.

Tiki was a great protagonist. She was strong and witty from the beginning and an expert at picking pockets. Which I have a suspicions that more about her talents will be revealed in later books. I felt like she was a more well rounded character. Her desire for a better life and sometimes just wanting to be a girl in pretty dresses. We see some sparks of jealousy that make her do silly things. Of course it always easy to bond with a character who spends her time in a bookshop. Rieker is of course dark and mysterious, who doesn't love that. I like the way he interacts with Tiki and that you can tell he is somewhat enchanted with her, even if he doesn't blatantly show it. The way the characters play off each other is what makes it believable. One of my favorite parts is when Tiki is trying to explain an argument that she has with him. Leo, Fiona, Shamus and Clara add depth to the story. I enjoyed the characters different qualities as well.

The plot flowed seamlessly. I had a hard time putting the book down. I would find myself reading over a hundred pages without even realizing it. Then I would be sad realizing I was getting close to the end. I'm so glad there are more books in the series otherwise I would be devastated. The way Kiki wraps up this book makes it so if you don't want to read the rest of the series you don't really have to. There was a good balance of unanswered questions and resolution but I'm not sure why anyone would want to stop. I'm excited to find out more about Tiki's life. In London and in the Otherworld. Now I just have to anxiously wait for the next book.
  JenWitch | Apr 4, 2013 |
A stolen ring, a threatened truce, a kingdom in peril...
"For my daughter, Carly, who taught me that love truly has no limits"

and

"For all of us who see the shadows move and know there's something more."
"You wouldn't be here pickin' pockets, would you?"

The year is 1871, and Tiki has been making a home for herself and her family of orphans in a deserted hideaway adjoining Charing Cross Station in central London. Their only means of survival is by picking pockets. One December night, Tiki steals a ring, and sets off a chain of events that could lead to all-out war with the Fey. For the ring belongs to Queen Victoria, and is a reservoir that holds a truce binding the rulers of England and the realm of Faerie to peace. With the ring missing, a rebel group of faeries hopes to break the treaty with dark magic.

Unbeknownst to Tiki, she is being watched by Rieker, a fellow thief who suspects she is involved in the disappearance of the ring. Rieker has secrets of his own, and Tiki is not all that she appears to be. Her very existence haunts Prince Leopold, the Queen’s son, who is driven to know more about the mysterious mark that encircles her wrist.

Prince, pauper, and thief—all must work together to secure the treaty…

"The year is 1871, and Tiki has been making a home for herself and her family of orphans in a deserted hideaway adjoining Charing Cross Station in central London. They survive by picking pockets. One December night, Tiki steals a ring, and sets off a chain of events that could lead to all-out war with the Fey. For the ring belongs to Queen Victoria, and it binds the rulers of England and the realm of Faerie to peace. With the ring missing, a rebel group of faeries hopes to break the treaty with dark magic and blood--Tiki's blood. Unbeknownst to Tiki, she is being watched--and protected--by Rieker, a fellow thief who suspects she is involved in the disappearance of the ring. Rieker has secrets of his own, and Tiki is not all that she appears to be. Her very existence haunts Prince Leopold, the Queen's son, who is driven to know more about the mysterious mark that encircles her wrist. Prince, pauper, and thief--all must work together to secure the treaty... "--… (more)

Kiki Hamilton is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,273,150 books! | Top bar: Always visible