Hourglass by Myra McEntire

Hourglass

by Myra McEntire

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (amz310783)
    amz310783: Both have time travel in them, but not in an obvious sci-fi way. Also both have love stories
    When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead (amz310783)

English (100)  German (1)  All languages (101)
It’s no secret around these parts that I love time travel novels, but I have to admit that Hourglass started off quite slow for me. I think a lot of this had to do with Emerson, or Em, the main character. Em is often bratty, oblivious, and sarcastic in a mean way. She tends to alienate the people around her, and only really has one friend at the start of the novel. These traits are understandable, given her history–her parents died before the book began and she’s been institutionalized for her ability–but it doesn’t make her character any easier to read about on paper. Once we met some other people in Hourglass, things definitely picked up and more of Em’s good traits–like her intelligence–came to the surface.

I really loved the sibling dynamic between Em and her brother. Sibling stories are my favorites, and while the relationship between Em and her brother is different than most since he’s her legal guardian, it’s easy to tell how much Thomas and Em love and rely on each other. For part of the story, Em’s brother is out of the picture, but it was clear to see how much Em really cared about her family and friends.

The actual time travel in Hourglass isn’t quite my favorite system of time travel that I’ve read, but it seemed complicated enough to be realistic(well, as realistic as we get when we talk about time travel), but simplistic enough to wrap my brain around. There’s definitely some real theories in Hourglass, which I found interesting. Despite one of the plot points being terribly convenient, I didn’t mind or even notice until after I finished reading. Em realizes early on in the story she can time travel with Michael, the agent from Hourglass she meets first. It’s a pretty simple system(though a little more complicated than that), and their experiences were exhilarating and heart-pounding.

And talk about twist I didn’t see! If you’re read my reviews before, you probably know I don’t mind predictable plots because I tend to see twist pretty early on in the story. Well, there’s really two major twists in the story I can think off of the top of my head, and while I saw one very early, the other took me by surprise. We’re talking jaw-on-the-floor type of reaction, and what made it even more perfect was that once it had been revealed, it was a twist that made sense. Hourglass toyed with my emotions and my mind, and at the end I thanked the book for it.

However, there were a few things that bothered me in Hourglass. One was the tension between Em and Michael. Because their basically two halves of a time travel pair, there’s an attraction to each other right away. This is explained in the book as being a normal thing for people with this abilities, which, okay, I get. But that doesn’t mean I as a reader buy their chemistry. They had never really had to work on that, and I lost out as a reader because of that. I want to see the slow-burn stuff up to attraction, not just BAM, these characters like each other. I will say I thought Hourglass did a good job of not making this annoying insta-love, but it does sort of border on that. The second thing was that there’s a hint of a love triangle I thought was totally unnecessary. ( )
  Stormydawnc | Jun 23, 2014 |
I cannot say enough good things about this ya debut. It's a perfect blend of fantasy, sci-fi, and romance that left me wanting more. Hourglass offers a unique take on time travel and spices things up wIth a delicious love triangle. I can't wait to get my hands on Timepiece. Definitely one of the best ya novels i've read in awhile. ( )
  LauraT81 | Jun 5, 2014 |
6/11 - Hey, not bad! My only complaint is that occasionally the characters' emotional reactions/thought processes are rushed, so it can be hard to follow their motivations. I occasionally found myself re-reading passages to see if I had missed something. But it was interesting, and I'd read another in this vein. Seems it lends itself to a sequel.

(Re-read in 11/2012 so I would know what the heck was going on w/ the sequel.) ( )
  fefferbooks | May 12, 2014 |
I was so enthralled with the Ruby Red trilogy that I purposely looked for other time travel books. This one is okay, not the best. It starts with a girl who lost her parents, went a little bonkers and has been seeing "ghosts" from the past. She meets a boy who is supposed to help her deal with the ghost sightings and ends with going back in time to save a person from dying. Not her parents, mind you but another person. Yes, I know it's fiction, but seriously? Too many side stories going on in this one to put enough focus (or reality) to the main plot. Recommendation: okay for all teens, no sex, minimal violence, unrealistic (even for fantasy). Not sure I will actually recommend to anyone. ( )
  SparklePonies | Mar 25, 2014 |
Originally posted at Novel Reveries

“It’s a really strange existence, not knowing if the person you’re talking to is physically there or not. Not knowing if you’re one hallucination away from a psychotic break.” (loc. 243)

I loved the tone of this book and how it kept me captivated. From the witty sarcastic attitude of Emerson, to the suspenseful adventure that unfolds, I couldn’t help but devour this book!

The first thing that really caught my attention was how I loved the way the author ended and began her chapters, and how the rhythm of this helped pull me through the book to the point where I couldn’t put it down. The only thing I didn’t like too much, as with most Young Adult genre books, is the insta-love and the potential for love triangles... or even a love square, haha. Maybe I just don’t like romance (or too much romance) in the books I read anymore. I feel like the subject, action and voice of the book made up for these drawbacks. I’ve learned that I’m quite fond of books about time travel (probably stemming from my love of historical books,) and Hourglass is a great set-up for a lot to come, and I really can’t wait to read more.

“Lots of unbelievable things happened. Every day. Things like gravity. But time travel? Saving the world? At seventeen?” (loc. 1296)

In all, I liked this book so much that I immediately borrowed (thanks to my library’s Overdrive website) the next in the series, Timepiece and started on it. I’m liking that so far as well! I received Infinityglass as an ARC to review, which is why I started on this series, but I’m so glad it pushed me to start because I really enjoy this series so far!

Dnaej | Mar 14, 2014 |
What lies behind you and what lies in front of you, pales in comparison to what lies inside of you. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
My small Southern hometown is beautiful in the haunting way an aging debutante is beautiful.

One hour to rewrite the past...

For seventeen-year-old Emerson Cole, life is about seeing what isn't there: swooning Southern belles; soldiers long forgotten; a haunting jazz trio that vanishes in an instant. Plagued by phantoms since her parents' death, she just wants the apparitions to stop so she can be normal. She's tried everything, but the visions keep coming back.

So when her well-meaning brother brings in a consultant from a secretive organization called the Hourglass, Emerson's willing to try one last cure. But meeting Michael Weaver may not change only her future, it may also change her past.

Who is this dark, mysterious, sympathetic guy, barely older than Emerson herself, who seems to believe every crazy word she says? Why does it feel like an electric current runs through the room whenever he's around? And why is he so insistent that he needs her help to prevent a death that never should have happened?

Full of atmosphere, mystery, and romance, Hourglass merges the very best of the paranormal and science fiction genres into a seductive, remarkable young adult debut.

Seventeen-year-old Emerson uses her power to manipulate time to help Michael, a consultant hired by her brother, to prevent a murder that happened six months ago while simultaneously navigating their undeniable attraction to one another.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,613,039 books! | Top bar: Always visible