Hourglass by Myra McEntire

Hourglass

by Myra McEntire

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (amz310783)
    amz310783: Both have time travel in them, but not in an obvious sci-fi way. Also both have love stories
    When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead (amz310783)

English (102)  German (1)  All languages (103)
Many of the reviews complain about the cheesy comments and Em's constant reference to Michael's or Kaleb's looks. News flash: she's 17. I work with 17 year old kids. This is their life. Drama, boys, girls, drama...if you read a YA novel, expect cheesiness.

:) ( )
  Raeadav | Mar 25, 2016 |
Seventeen-year-old Emerson uses her power to manipulate time to help Michael, a consultant hired by her brother, to prevent a murder that happened six months ago while simultaneously navigating their undeniable attraction to one another.

I remember the first time I've seen the cover, I was like, I know I have MANY to-read-soon list but I couldn't walk away without buying it. I thought that the creepy ceiling girl was a redhead. But after reading a few chapters the other night, my first observation was corrected to a "blonde". So far so good and funny. Not what I expected. ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
This was really good. The premise was really unique and even though the romance felt a bit familiar, I really enjoyed it. It was refreshing to read something in this genre where the heroine wasn't a. constantly being rescued and b. where the character showed some development from the beginning of the story. I also appreciated that the book wasn't too gory or gross. It was nice that they weren't beating the main characters up on every other page. I'm looking forward to reading the next one. ( )
  lovelypenny | Feb 4, 2016 |
Time travel, not really a subject that is being touched as much in paranormal YA these days, and i admit, i was unsure about this book when i started it. The story intrigued me but i admit that right off the bat i couldn't tell if i liked Emerson or not.
This yet another first person book, and i was met with the problem that i frequently have with first person books. For the longest time i could not like Em because i felt like i wasn't getting to see any of her real personality. Every time the author tried to give us things that she was into they seemed offhand and kind of there only so we might attempt to better understand the character. Now, granted, about a quarter of the way through i actually get to see enough of Em's character and i grow to like her.
To be honest though, this book gave me mixed feelings the entire time. I enjoyed it, and the second half was significantly better than the first half. However, i felt that too much time was spent on talking about how attractive Michael was... I mean, i can grasp that in about the first paragraph, i don't need to be reminded every few chapters that he's good looking. By then i've got a good enough picture in my head and don't need constant reminders.
However the premise of the book was enjoyable, it just had that YA tint that i've grown to be irritated by. That little bit that focuses just a bit too much on romance and just not quite enough on plot. Now, granted, again, by the second half this had been dropped and i was thoroughly enjoying the book, but during the entire first half i thought about just giving up and not finishing.
The idea of time travel in this book is really cool, and they even had an X-men kind of deal going on with Hourglass. I appreciated that it actually did make sense in a roundabout way. There were times when it was obvious things were being glossed over for fear of opening a wide plot hole, but more or less the time travel basically didn't leave me utterly confused (they also referenced Doctor Who, earning instant cool points from me) I liked that Emerson could travel backwards and Michael could travel forwards (aww, so cute, so cute) I also liked all the other different skills that were shown with the other characters ( though i wished more had been done with them. i suppose that will be for future books)
There were moments though, where it was AWESOME. Like, i was really into the story and the characters, and then there were moments where i was literally cringing and the dialogue and the things that were being said. Because every so often something would be said that was entirely not believable and i would wince.
All in all, though, this was a fairly decent read. Not spectacular, not terrible. I enjoyed and read it in a few hours on my phone. I'll definitely read the next instalments because like i said, the second half caught my interest far better than the first half did. ( )
  glitzandshadows | Oct 12, 2015 |
While the premise has great potential, the characters are 2D and fairly generic teen romance ideals.

Handsome male leads fall over themselves for her. She has no true flaws: she can beat up a grown man, she has sass and spunk, and she's unique and special in a way that can never be earned.

Her decisions have little depth, no real dilemma, plot twists are not very moving or convincing.

Found myself skimming all the romance sections after the initial explanation of the magic system (which actually had potential), but that quickly turned into skimming pretty much the entire story. Read if you like sappy teenage romance novels with little plot. ( )
  NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |
What lies behind you and what lies in front of you, pales in comparison to what lies inside of you. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
To Ethan,

For being my best friend and helping me throw strikes.

And to Andrew and Charlie,

Never be afraid to chase your dreams, because they

really can come true.
My small Southern hometown is beautiful in the haunting way an aging debutante is beautiful.

One hour to rewrite the past...

For seventeen-year-old Emerson Cole, life is about seeing what isn't there: swooning Southern belles; soldiers long forgotten; a haunting jazz trio that vanishes in an instant. Plagued by phantoms since her parents' death, she just wants the apparitions to stop so she can be normal. She's tried everything, but the visions keep coming back.

So when her well-meaning brother brings in a consultant from a secretive organization called the Hourglass, Emerson's willing to try one last cure. But meeting Michael Weaver may not change only her future, it may also change her past.

Who is this dark, mysterious, sympathetic guy, barely older than Emerson herself, who seems to believe every crazy word she says? Why does it feel like an electric current runs through the room whenever he's around? And why is he so insistent that he needs her help to prevent a death that never should have happened?

Full of atmosphere, mystery, and romance, Hourglass merges the very best of the paranormal and science fiction genres into a seductive, remarkable young adult debut.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,249,319 books! | Top bar: Always visible