Hourglass by Myra McEntire

Hourglass

by Myra McEntire

61910115,730 (3.93)11
    The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (amz310783)
    amz310783: Both have time travel in them, but not in an obvious sci-fi way. Also both have love stories
    When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead (amz310783)

English (100)  German (1)  All languages (101)
This was really good. The premise was really unique and even though the romance felt a bit familiar, I really enjoyed it. It was refreshing to read something in this genre where the heroine wasn't a. constantly being rescued and b. where the character showed some development from the beginning of the story. I also appreciated that the book wasn't too gory or gross. It was nice that they weren't beating the main characters up on every other page. I'm looking forward to reading the next one. ( )
  lovelypenny | Feb 4, 2016 |
Time travel, not really a subject that is being touched as much in paranormal YA these days, and i admit, i was unsure about this book when i started it. The story intrigued me but i admit that right off the bat i couldn't tell if i liked Emerson or not.
This yet another first person book, and i was met with the problem that i frequently have with first person books. For the longest time i could not like Em because i felt like i wasn't getting to see any of her real personality. Every time the author tried to give us things that she was into they seemed offhand and kind of there only so we might attempt to better understand the character. Now, granted, about a quarter of the way through i actually get to see enough of Em's character and i grow to like her.
To be honest though, this book gave me mixed feelings the entire time. I enjoyed it, and the second half was significantly better than the first half. However, i felt that too much time was spent on talking about how attractive Michael was... I mean, i can grasp that in about the first paragraph, i don't need to be reminded every few chapters that he's good looking. By then i've got a good enough picture in my head and don't need constant reminders.
However the premise of the book was enjoyable, it just had that YA tint that i've grown to be irritated by. That little bit that focuses just a bit too much on romance and just not quite enough on plot. Now, granted, again, by the second half this had been dropped and i was thoroughly enjoying the book, but during the entire first half i thought about just giving up and not finishing.
The idea of time travel in this book is really cool, and they even had an X-men kind of deal going on with Hourglass. I appreciated that it actually did make sense in a roundabout way. There were times when it was obvious things were being glossed over for fear of opening a wide plot hole, but more or less the time travel basically didn't leave me utterly confused (they also referenced Doctor Who, earning instant cool points from me) I liked that Emerson could travel backwards and Michael could travel forwards (aww, so cute, so cute) I also liked all the other different skills that were shown with the other characters ( though i wished more had been done with them. i suppose that will be for future books)
There were moments though, where it was AWESOME. Like, i was really into the story and the characters, and then there were moments where i was literally cringing and the dialogue and the things that were being said. Because every so often something would be said that was entirely not believable and i would wince.
All in all, though, this was a fairly decent read. Not spectacular, not terrible. I enjoyed and read it in a few hours on my phone. I'll definitely read the next instalments because like i said, the second half caught my interest far better than the first half did. ( )
  glitzandshadows | Oct 12, 2015 |
While the premise has great potential, the characters are 2D and fairly generic teen romance ideals.

Handsome male leads fall over themselves for her. She has no true flaws: she can beat up a grown man, she has sass and spunk, and she's unique and special in a way that can never be earned.

Her decisions have little depth, no real dilemma, plot twists are not very moving or convincing.

Found myself skimming all the romance sections after the initial explanation of the magic system (which actually had potential), but that quickly turned into skimming pretty much the entire story. Read if you like sappy teenage romance novels with little plot. ( )
  NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |

NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |
It’s no secret around these parts that I love time travel novels, but I have to admit that Hourglass started off quite slow for me. I think a lot of this had to do with Emerson, or Em, the main character. Em is often bratty, oblivious, and sarcastic in a mean way. She tends to alienate the people around her, and only really has one friend at the start of the novel. These traits are understandable, given her history–her parents died before the book began and she’s been institutionalized for her ability–but it doesn’t make her character any easier to read about on paper. Once we met some other people in Hourglass, things definitely picked up and more of Em’s good traits–like her intelligence–came to the surface.

I really loved the sibling dynamic between Em and her brother. Sibling stories are my favorites, and while the relationship between Em and her brother is different than most since he’s her legal guardian, it’s easy to tell how much Thomas and Em love and rely on each other. For part of the story, Em’s brother is out of the picture, but it was clear to see how much Em really cared about her family and friends.

The actual time travel in Hourglass isn’t quite my favorite system of time travel that I’ve read, but it seemed complicated enough to be realistic(well, as realistic as we get when we talk about time travel), but simplistic enough to wrap my brain around. There’s definitely some real theories in Hourglass, which I found interesting. Despite one of the plot points being terribly convenient, I didn’t mind or even notice until after I finished reading. Em realizes early on in the story she can time travel with Michael, the agent from Hourglass she meets first. It’s a pretty simple system(though a little more complicated than that), and their experiences were exhilarating and heart-pounding.

And talk about twist I didn’t see! If you’re read my reviews before, you probably know I don’t mind predictable plots because I tend to see twist pretty early on in the story. Well, there’s really two major twists in the story I can think off of the top of my head, and while I saw one very early, the other took me by surprise. We’re talking jaw-on-the-floor type of reaction, and what made it even more perfect was that once it had been revealed, it was a twist that made sense. Hourglass toyed with my emotions and my mind, and at the end I thanked the book for it.

However, there were a few things that bothered me in Hourglass. One was the tension between Em and Michael. Because their basically two halves of a time travel pair, there’s an attraction to each other right away. This is explained in the book as being a normal thing for people with this abilities, which, okay, I get. But that doesn’t mean I as a reader buy their chemistry. They had never really had to work on that, and I lost out as a reader because of that. I want to see the slow-burn stuff up to attraction, not just BAM, these characters like each other. I will say I thought Hourglass did a good job of not making this annoying insta-love, but it does sort of border on that. The second thing was that there’s a hint of a love triangle I thought was totally unnecessary. ( )
  Stormydawnc | Jun 23, 2014 |
What lies behind you and what lies in front of you, pales in comparison to what lies inside of you. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
To Ethan,

For being my best friend and helping me throw strikes.

And to Andrew and Charlie,

Never be afraid to chase your dreams, because they

really can come true.
My small Southern hometown is beautiful in the haunting way an aging debutante is beautiful.

One hour to rewrite the past...

For seventeen-year-old Emerson Cole, life is about seeing what isn't there: swooning Southern belles; soldiers long forgotten; a haunting jazz trio that vanishes in an instant. Plagued by phantoms since her parents' death, she just wants the apparitions to stop so she can be normal. She's tried everything, but the visions keep coming back.

So when her well-meaning brother brings in a consultant from a secretive organization called the Hourglass, Emerson's willing to try one last cure. But meeting Michael Weaver may not change only her future, it may also change her past.

Who is this dark, mysterious, sympathetic guy, barely older than Emerson herself, who seems to believe every crazy word she says? Why does it feel like an electric current runs through the room whenever he's around? And why is he so insistent that he needs her help to prevent a death that never should have happened?

Full of atmosphere, mystery, and romance, Hourglass merges the very best of the paranormal and science fiction genres into a seductive, remarkable young adult debut.

Seventeen-year-old Emerson uses her power to manipulate time to help Michael, a consultant hired by her brother, to prevent a murder that happened six months ago while simultaneously navigating their undeniable attraction to one another.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,196,624 books! | Top bar: Always visible