Hourglass by Myra McEntire

Title:Hourglass
Authors:Myra McEntire
Info:EgmontUSA (2011), Hardcover, 400 pages

Hourglass by Myra McEntire

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (amz310783)
    amz310783: Both have time travel in them, but not in an obvious sci-fi way. Also both have love stories
    When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead (amz310783)

English (104)  German (1)  All languages (105)
This book had an interesting premise. Emerson sees ghosts. Or she's crazy. Whatever it is, it's been happening since her parents died in the accident that left her and her brother alone. For years she was medicated to the point that the visions stopped, but now, when she's returned home for the first time in years, they're back. And one of them, Jack, is talking to her. Then she meets Michael who can see them too and who tells her she isn't seeing ghosts, she's seeing through ripples in time. And, she might be able to travel through them. Emerson agrees and gets caught up in a plot that's far more tangled than she feared.
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
Time travel, not really a subject that is being touched as much in paranormal YA these days, and i admit, i was unsure about this book when i started it. The story intrigued me but i admit that right off the bat i couldn't tell if i liked Emerson or not.
This yet another first person book, and i was met with the problem that i frequently have with first person books. For the longest time i could not like Em because i felt like i wasn't getting to see any of her real personality. Every time the author tried to give us things that she was into they seemed offhand and kind of there only so we might attempt to better understand the character. Now, granted, about a quarter of the way through i actually get to see enough of Em's character and i grow to like her.
To be honest though, this book gave me mixed feelings the entire time. I enjoyed it, and the second half was significantly better than the first half. However, i felt that too much time was spent on talking about how attractive Michael was... I mean, i can grasp that in about the first paragraph, i don't need to be reminded every few chapters that he's good looking. By then i've got a good enough picture in my head and don't need constant reminders.
However the premise of the book was enjoyable, it just had that YA tint that i've grown to be irritated by. That little bit that focuses just a bit too much on romance and just not quite enough on plot. Now, granted, again, by the second half this had been dropped and i was thoroughly enjoying the book, but during the entire first half i thought about just giving up and not finishing.
The idea of time travel in this book is really cool, and they even had an X-men kind of deal going on with Hourglass. I appreciated that it actually did make sense in a roundabout way. There were times when it was obvious things were being glossed over for fear of opening a wide plot hole, but more or less the time travel basically didn't leave me utterly confused (they also referenced Doctor Who, earning instant cool points from me) I liked that Emerson could travel backwards and Michael could travel forwards (aww, so cute, so cute) I also liked all the other different skills that were shown with the other characters ( though i wished more had been done with them. i suppose that will be for future books)
There were moments though, where it was AWESOME. Like, i was really into the story and the characters, and then there were moments where i was literally cringing and the dialogue and the things that were being said. Because every so often something would be said that was entirely not believable and i would wince.
All in all, though, this was a fairly decent read. Not spectacular, not terrible. I enjoyed and read it in a few hours on my phone. I'll definitely read the next instalments because like i said, the second half caught my interest far better than the first half did. ( )
  eaduncan | Sep 14, 2017 |
I love the premise of this novel. Who doesn't love time travel and seeing ripples? I mean seriously. The basic plot was also pretty good full of twists and turns. The actual execution really wasn't all that good. I felt like the biggest problem with the novel was that there were way too many characters which led to other characters not being as developed as they could be. I think fewer characters and better pacing would make this a fantastic novel.

I'm interested enough to consider picking up the next book. Overall, I found it to be a tad flat but I can see how someone else could really love this book.. ( )
  Emma_Manolis | Jun 27, 2017 |
Hourglass is a paranormal thriller by Myra McEntire. I really like the premise. My only complaint is that it takes a frustratingly long amount of time for Michael and Emerson to realize that they had to be together even though that realization comes to the reader fairly early in the book. Some of the obstacles put in their way seem artificial.
Emerson has seen "time rips" in the form of people from the past for the last four years. It started just prior to the death of her parents. Her visions in combination with her deep depression led her brother, Thomas, to have her committed to a mental institution. When Emerson leaves the institution, she tries to establish a somewhat normal life, but her brother continues to try to find people to help with her problem. Most are frauds, but the most recent seems legitimate. Michael Weaver is a consultant with Hourglass, a place for people with the "time gene." Michael tells Emerson that all of the people at Hourglass have that same gene, just as she does. When he tells her that she is capable of traveling through time, she begins to doubt his sanity. There are problems, however, at Hourglass. Its founder has been killed and the man running it now seems to be using the time gene for his own purposes. Michael has a plan to stop him that involves Emerson, who starts to wonder if she is being used.
Overall, this is a very interesting book with enough twists, turns, and emotional bombshells that make it very much worth reading. ( )
  Mrslabraden | Aug 8, 2016 |
Hmm.
I'm in for book two, if only to make the sure the cover is as cool as this one. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
What lies behind you and what lies in front of you, pales in comparison to what lies inside of you. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
To Ethan,

For being my best friend and helping me throw strikes.

And to Andrew and Charlie,

Never be afraid to chase your dreams, because they

really can come true.
My small Southern hometown is beautiful in the haunting way an aging debutante is beautiful.

One hour to rewrite the past...

For seventeen-year-old Emerson Cole, life is about seeing what isn't there: swooning Southern belles; soldiers long forgotten; a haunting jazz trio that vanishes in an instant. Plagued by phantoms since her parents' death, she just wants the apparitions to stop so she can be normal. She's tried everything, but the visions keep coming back.

So when her well-meaning brother brings in a consultant from a secretive organization called the Hourglass, Emerson's willing to try one last cure. But meeting Michael Weaver may not change only her future, it may also change her past.

Who is this dark, mysterious, sympathetic guy, barely older than Emerson herself, who seems to believe every crazy word she says? Why does it feel like an electric current runs through the room whenever he's around? And why is he so insistent that he needs her help to prevent a death that never should have happened?

Full of atmosphere, mystery, and romance, Hourglass merges the very best of the paranormal and science fiction genres into a seductive, remarkable young adult debut.

Seventeen-year-old Emerson uses her power to manipulate time to help Michael, a consultant hired by her brother, to prevent a murder that happened six months ago while simultaneously navigating their undeniable attraction to one another.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,961,756 books! | Top bar: Always visible