Hourglass by Myra McEntire

Title:Hourglass
Authors:Myra McEntire
Info:EgmontUSA (2011), Hardcover, 400 pages

Hourglass by Myra McEntire

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (amz310783)
    amz310783: Both have time travel in them, but not in an obvious sci-fi way. Also both have love stories
    When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead (amz310783)

English (102)  German (1)  All languages (103)
Someone please pinch me. I'm pretty sure I've died and gone to book heaven and, if Hourglass is what I can look forward to, I'm not coming back! Wow, just wow. I apologize in advance for all the rambling that will ensue. This book is so fantastic, so amazing, that I just cannot seem to express exactly how much I loved it. I'll try though, for you.

First of all, there are the characters. Emerson Cole takes her rightful place among my all time favorite female characters. She's sassy, she's fiery, and the best part is that Emerson isn't taken in by bedroom eyes and vivid smiles. Oh sure, she might notice them. However if you want to be a part of Emerson's life, you'd better be prepared to hold your own on the battleground of wit. The snark that comes out her mouth so naturally cracked me up, and I loved the chemistry between her and the other characters. Then there is Michael. Smooth, put together, and off limits for Emerson. The tension between them just crackles deliciously. Finally, and my favorite, the beautifully broken bad boy, Kaleb. This boy is a mess, but wow does he own it. In this humble reader's opinion, he is the only person who can stand their own next to Miss Emerson Cole.

The Science Fiction portion of Hourglass comes into play in Emerson's unique ability. She can see ripples from the past, and it's not doing her any favors in the normalcy department. I could definitely see that Myra McEntire had done her research on time travel. Everything that is presented is completely plausible, and as a regular reader of Science Fiction I found that amazing. In fact, this whole story is blended together so perfectly, so seamlessly, that I could almost believe I'd be walking down the street and come face to face with Emerson, or any one of her unwanted guests. Truth be told, the web that is woven in Hourglass is one that I wasn't able to pull out of, and I really didn't want to.

I know I'm rambling now, so I'll finish off with a last thought. I have read over 100 books so far this year, and sometimes they start to blend together. However, after finishing Hourglass, I am reminded that there are gems out there that stand out. Myra McEntire has written a stunner of a novel. Complete with realistic characters, gorgeously blended science fiction and paranormal elements, and one heck of a story line, this is a book that you need to read. Buy it.
  roses7184 | Feb 5, 2019 |
Things I Liked:
This book was really fun and really quick. Points.

Kaleb. Oh, how I liked Kaleb. This boy is the DEFINITION of Smexy, the Super Major Sexy.

Lily. Lily was a pretty good character as well, and I think we’ll be learning more about her in later installments (as I’m currently reading Timepiece and 50 pages in she’s already playing a bigger role) although I did say from the very beginning that she had to have some magic power. Magic power? Science power? Ugh, I’ll talk more about this.

The family dynamic between Emerson, Thomas and Dru. I thought the family dynamic was so true and so well done.

Emerson’s backstory. Emerson’s backstory evoked emotion and gave reason to what was happening.

The connection between Emerson and Kaleb. Because of Emerson’s backstory, she was able to connect with Kaleb really well, and I appreciate that.

Things I Didn’t Like:
The time travel. It made no damn sense. the Novikov Principle? Where the held did you get that? You’re changing the timeline anyway, so just go back in time, save him, and make a whole damn new one! The time travel really, really frustrated me.

The whole thing with Cat. That just really, really, REALLY came out of NOWHERE.
Also, am I the only one who noticed that none of the GUYS on team freak turned out to be secretly evil? It was only the girls.

Michael. I don’t know why. He’s not a bad guy, he’s not a bad character, I just don’t like him. ((KALEB!!!))

Things That I Didn’t Really Feel One Way Or the Other About:
Emerson. I liked her backstory, her connections with the other characters, but just her, on her own? I really don’t feel one way or the other about her. I don’t really care that much about her.

Monica_P | Nov 22, 2018 |
This book had an interesting premise. Emerson sees ghosts. Or she's crazy. Whatever it is, it's been happening since her parents died in the accident that left her and her brother alone. For years she was medicated to the point that the visions stopped, but now, when she's returned home for the first time in years, they're back. And one of them, Jack, is talking to her. Then she meets Michael who can see them too and who tells her she isn't seeing ghosts, she's seeing through ripples in time. And, she might be able to travel through them. Emerson agrees and gets caught up in a plot that's far more tangled than she feared.
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
Time travel, not really a subject that is being touched as much in paranormal YA these days, and i admit, i was unsure about this book when i started it. The story intrigued me but i admit that right off the bat i couldn't tell if i liked Emerson or not.
This yet another first person book, and i was met with the problem that i frequently have with first person books. For the longest time i could not like Em because i felt like i wasn't getting to see any of her real personality. Every time the author tried to give us things that she was into they seemed offhand and kind of there only so we might attempt to better understand the character. Now, granted, about a quarter of the way through i actually get to see enough of Em's character and i grow to like her.
To be honest though, this book gave me mixed feelings the entire time. I enjoyed it, and the second half was significantly better than the first half. However, i felt that too much time was spent on talking about how attractive Michael was... I mean, i can grasp that in about the first paragraph, i don't need to be reminded every few chapters that he's good looking. By then i've got a good enough picture in my head and don't need constant reminders.
However the premise of the book was enjoyable, it just had that YA tint that i've grown to be irritated by. That little bit that focuses just a bit too much on romance and just not quite enough on plot. Now, granted, again, by the second half this had been dropped and i was thoroughly enjoying the book, but during the entire first half i thought about just giving up and not finishing.
The idea of time travel in this book is really cool, and they even had an X-men kind of deal going on with Hourglass. I appreciated that it actually did make sense in a roundabout way. There were times when it was obvious things were being glossed over for fear of opening a wide plot hole, but more or less the time travel basically didn't leave me utterly confused (they also referenced Doctor Who, earning instant cool points from me) I liked that Emerson could travel backwards and Michael could travel forwards (aww, so cute, so cute) I also liked all the other different skills that were shown with the other characters ( though i wished more had been done with them. i suppose that will be for future books)
There were moments though, where it was AWESOME. Like, i was really into the story and the characters, and then there were moments where i was literally cringing and the dialogue and the things that were being said. Because every so often something would be said that was entirely not believable and i would wince.
All in all, though, this was a fairly decent read. Not spectacular, not terrible. I enjoyed and read it in a few hours on my phone. I'll definitely read the next instalments because like i said, the second half caught my interest far better than the first half did. ( )
  eaduncan | Sep 14, 2017 |
I love the premise of this novel. Who doesn't love time travel and seeing ripples? I mean seriously. The basic plot was also pretty good full of twists and turns. The actual execution really wasn't all that good. I felt like the biggest problem with the novel was that there were way too many characters which led to other characters not being as developed as they could be. I think fewer characters and better pacing would make this a fantastic novel.

I'm interested enough to consider picking up the next book. Overall, I found it to be a tad flat but I can see how someone else could really love this book.. ( )
  Emma_Manolis | Jun 27, 2017 |
What lies behind you and what lies in front of you, pales in comparison to what lies inside of you. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
To Ethan,

For being my best friend and helping me throw strikes.

And to Andrew and Charlie,

Never be afraid to chase your dreams, because they

really can come true.
My small Southern hometown is beautiful in the haunting way an aging debutante is beautiful.

One hour to rewrite the past...

For seventeen-year-old Emerson Cole, life is about seeing what isn't there: swooning Southern belles; soldiers long forgotten; a haunting jazz trio that vanishes in an instant. Plagued by phantoms since her parents' death, she just wants the apparitions to stop so she can be normal. She's tried everything, but the visions keep coming back.

So when her well-meaning brother brings in a consultant from a secretive organization called the Hourglass, Emerson's willing to try one last cure. But meeting Michael Weaver may not change only her future, it may also change her past.

Who is this dark, mysterious, sympathetic guy, barely older than Emerson herself, who seems to believe every crazy word she says? Why does it feel like an electric current runs through the room whenever he's around? And why is he so insistent that he needs her help to prevent a death that never should have happened?

Full of atmosphere, mystery, and romance, Hourglass merges the very best of the paranormal and science fiction genres into a seductive, remarkable young adult debut.

Seventeen-year-old Emerson uses her power to manipulate time to help Michael, a consultant hired by her brother, to prevent a murder that happened six months ago while simultaneously navigating their undeniable attraction to one another.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,065,932 books! | Top bar: Always visible