The Near Witch by V. E. Schwab

The Near Witch (edition 2019)

by V. E. Schwab (Author)

Member:malinablue
Title:The Near Witch
Authors:V. E. Schwab (Author)
Info:Titan Books (2019), 320 pages

The Near Witch by Victoria Schwab

Oh, what a lovely story! This one is about a girl named Lexi who lives in a town called Near, and one day a stranger blows in (actually blows in). The same night and every night thereafter, a child goes missing. The townspeople think it's the stranger, but Lexi knows better. There's an old children's rhyme about the Near Witch, and it might be closer to the truth than anyone wants to dare to believe. If you like a little magic and whimsy, small towns and folktales, and smart, strong girls who never give up, this one might be for you. If you're a fan of Neil Gaiman, I think you'll enjoy the quick tumble you'll take into the little world of Near and the interesting characters that await you there. ( )
  justagirlwithabook | Mar 31, 2019 |
Not my favourite Schwab by any means (don't get me started on the world-building, which you have to embrace as fairytale without question because if you start to think about it it's more than a little absurd), but a fast, easy read. Do expect typical YA tropes (o hai insta love); don't expect too much depth of character; but it has enough charm to entertain and darkness to threaten. Schwab has come a long way since this first outing, but it's a must-have for a completist and a pleasant diversion for the casual reader.

Full review

I received a free copy in exchange for an honest review ( )
  imyril | Mar 30, 2019 |
Sadly, this was a struggle for me and I just couldn't fall into the story as I hoped. The writing was pretty and intriguing premise; a fairytale story with witches. It was just too slow paced for my taste.
I do love other books in Victoria Schwab's collection (Vicious, Gathering of Shadows), and this was a great example of how much she has grown with her writing style.
Decent debut, even though it didn't hit most of my bells. ( )
  JPetersonReads | Dec 23, 2018 |
3.5 stars

See, everyone on boooktube LOVELOVELOVELOVED this book. Like, could not stop raving about, it was so amazing, couldn't put it down...
I feel it was teensy bit overhyped.

I didn't think this was a BAD book, mind. I actually thought it was quite good. I just don't think it was SO FREAKING AMAZING and shit. But I was set up to think that it was going to be SO FREAKING AMAZING and shit. This book probably lost half a star rating due to that.

The story was enjoyable and creepy and there was insta-love. It was fantasy, and I do like Fantasy. Despite the insta-love, the romance was cute and enjoyed it.

But I wasn't OBSESSED. I wasn't SUCKED IN. It took my a couple of days to read this book. Summer Semester. I only have one class. It shouldn't take me a couple days to read a book, if I get SUCKED IN.

So yeah. I enjoyed this, and it would have gotten a higher rating if I had gone into it without all the hype. ( )
  Monica_P | Nov 22, 2018 |
Another perfect Schwab novel. ( )
  mmalyn | Feb 24, 2018 |

The Near Witch is only an old story told to frighten children.

If the wind calls at night, you must not listen. The wind is lonely, and always looking for company.

And there are no strangers in the town of Near.

These are the truths that Lexi has heard all her life.

But when an actual stranger—a boy who seems to fade like smoke—appears outside her home on the moor at night, she knows that at least one of these sayings is no longer true.

The next night, the children of Near start disappearing from their beds, and the mysterious boy falls under suspicion. Still, he insists on helping Lexi search for them. Something tells her she can trust him.

As the hunt for the children intensifies, so does Lexi’s need to know—about the witch that just might be more than a bedtime story, about the wind that seems to speak through the walls at night, and about the history of this nameless boy.

Part fairy tale, part love story, Victoria Schwab’s debut novel is entirely original yet achingly familiar: a song you heard long ago, a whisper carried by the wind, and a dream you won’t soon forget.

Sixteen-year-old Lexi, who lives on an enchanted moor at the edge of the village of Near, must solve the mystery when, the day after a mysterious boy appears in town, children start disappearing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,087,339 books! | Top bar: Always visible